Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Turnigy TrackStar Motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by old_dude
Rob King did respond to my forum question about the motors legality two weeks ago.
That was 2 weeks ago. The website was updated a few days ago. It has a date entered now. What a stupid system.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madulla
That was 2 weeks ago. The website was updated a few days ago. It has a date entered now. What a stupid system.
i would have to agree.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonracing
our club enforces roar rules.

here are the rules regarding availability according to roar. nothing states us retailers only.

8.5.2 Availability for Member Purchase:
8.5.2.1.1 Product availability is required to no less than three retail outlets prior to publication on approval list. All documentation must be submitted to ROAR Technical Director prior to publication on approval list. The manufacturer has to provide the name and address of a least hobby shops or the like, so that any driver who wishes to obtain
these motors at the time of the approval can do so. No hybrid (mixing of parts from approved brushless motors) allowed
Wow, its one thing to enforce Roar rules in a sanctioned event but for club racing? Sure, follow the rules (proper turn motor, blinky mode, etc) but really, on a weekly club event I think everyone should be able to race and just have fun.

Or am I way out in left field on this?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

they prefer that we use roar approved equipment. our club also has the roar regional director and the mod national champion all in one. but he has not said anything yet but there are a few guys that will speak up and create drama if they need to.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

show us the post. and who is rob king? i dont know who he is.
Rob King Is the ROAR technical director.
Here is the link to their forum thread where I asked the question about approvals.

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...=3221#post3221
Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

As a follow up to an earlier post. Our track "The Gate" in Brunswick, Ohio has a fairly high quality group of racers. We follow ROAR rules at our club races just to keep from having any type of drama and it has worked out very well. We will allow racers to use equipment that is pending approval at the club races but we ask that they let us know in advance. We host several large races each year and most of our racers participate so they want to run what they will race at those events just to get their setups right. I act as the tech advisor and do the research on product legality.
On a side note: I think it would be great to see these competitively priced products become legal. Racing is expensive enough so anywhere costs can be reduced is a plus.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for the link but it wont let me view it. ive signed up for the roar forum but they have not sent me an activation link yet (its been 2 weeks) so ill take your word for it. i agree that they need to get them approved. another member did however supply links to 2 suppliers that carry trackstar motors. granted they are both overseas but it does not state that they need to be usa suppliers anywhere in the rules. but im removing mine anyhow since we have a big race coming up in 2 weeks so i need to make sure my f1 is dialed with the motor thats legal.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Just shot an email to rob king technical director from roar about the motors in question. i hope i get a fairly quick response. i included the links to the 2 other retailers that carry trackstar motors. and a link to the roar page for the motor and a link for this thread. hopefully we get a resolution as to the legality of the motors soon.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

Just shot an email to rob king technical director from roar about the motors in question. i hope i get a fairly quick response. i included the links to the 2 other retailers that carry trackstar motors. and a link to the roar page for the motor and a link for this thread. hopefully we get a resolution as to the legality of the motors soon.
It took about a week for him to respond to me but that was nationals week. Good luck, I am anxiously awaiting approval of their ESC's also.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default ROAR LEGAL

ROAR LEGALHello Gents! I have great news. i just received an email from rob king technical director at roar. the turnigy RED trackstar motors ARE ROAR LEGAL! i have the email and im adding a copy of the text here (removing parts of my email so i dont get spammed) here ya go:

Hi
The red trackstar motors are legal
http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...tar-9192000034

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...tar-9192000029

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...tar-9192000035

We have some housekeeping to do with the list so I hope you will bear with us. With approvals happening all the time the list is always being updated. The ROAR forums will have the latest approvals that have not necessarily been added to the regular list. I apologize for any confusion

Rob King

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:59:30 +0000
To: [email protected]
Subject: trackstar motors

hello. i am trying to find out if the turnigy tackstar line of motors are legal or not. we have found 2 other location that they are available from other than hobby king. granted they are overseas but the rules do not state that they need to be usa retailers.

http://thescalerstore.altervista.org...43/language/en

http://www.teamsi.co.kr/shop/shopdet...&search=&sort=

the second link is the same motor just a grey can.

there has been some debate on rc tech about the motors legality and the roar site wording.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...motors-16.html

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...tar-9192000034

we as a group would like to know if they are legal or not. i currently have one in my f1 car and our club prefers that we use roar legal motors if i can thats great if not its a paperweight.. a few of the guys in our club keep citing the approval list and i keep showing them the "new" forum based list that is an addition to the older list. some are skeptical. im going by what ive read on the roar site. the trackstar motor is really all im concerned about. i would like to use it. its a decent cheap alternative to the expensive motors in this very expensive hobby.

Thanks for your time
Doug
roar# 11-80616
D**********@comcast.net

screen name on rctech: dragonracing

Last edited by dragonracing; 03-19-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

here is the copy of the email i printed out.
Attached Thumbnails Turnigy TrackStar Motors-20140319_164602.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Good news
Old 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

cheap motors. i wont feel so bad if i cook one since they are so cheap. hell less than $40 shipped to my door and in the same state no less.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

That's awesome! Glad to hear it straight from Rob King. No more confusion then.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

yes very happy about it. now we can get back to discussion of gearing in XXX car and temps etc.

mine is in my tamiya f104 car. at the same gear ratio as my novak 21.5 (97/34 2.85) if felt a little sluggish on the infield and was ok on the straight. i then geared down one tooth on the pinion to a 97/33 2.83. if felt much snappier and quicker acceleration on the infield and accelerated much quicker down the straight with the same speed as the novak. temps never got above 130 and i dont run a heat sink or a fan on it. although i may run a heatsink in the summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.