R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #286
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im going to call the roar director monday morning and ask for sure. you have a point yosh70. i see that has been removed. maybe it is. but i want to make sure. its still not on the motor approval page yet. so only time will tell. i really want it approved. ill buy at least 3 more. ill have 4 after that. 3 in cars and one spare. at that price why not..
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #287
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Can I ask if anyone has been running the 13.5T in blinky and if so what FDR have you been running.
I usually run a Thunder Power on a large outdoor track with an FDR of 3.96-4.08 that matches the fast guys.
Also, the timing markings on the motor, what does that translate into. Is each increment 10 degrees or 5?
Thanks
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #288
Tech Elite

each hash mark is 5 degrees.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #289
Tech Regular

Wow, lots of debating......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
all that says is they checked availability. look at all the other motors and see what it says. it will say approved. the trackstar does not have this as of yet.

here is an example. the R1 Wurks motor has the approval and availability requirements.

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...-R1-215-125-V7

here is the killshot motor. it has the approval also.

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...hot-R-REV1603R

the trackstar does not have these.

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...tar-9192000034

To me, all they did was check availability. as far as i know its still only available thru hobbyking. to meet approval requirements it needs to be available thru 3 retailers minimum.

I was told by another local racer that there are 3 hobby shops within 10 miles of the usa wharehouse that they could sell these at and meet availability requirements. They have not done this and personaly i dont think they will. Said racer has also gone in and told me that in his opinion that they dont really seem like they care if it gets approved.

Its a shame because i think its a fast motor and i would buy at least 2 more for my rigs this summer. so until its "officially approved" its stays on the bench as a paper weight.
The USA warehouse staff are not responsible for seeking ROAR approval. Most of HK staff are based in Hong Kong. There is a ROAR affilliate page, the hobbyking reps name is listed on that page. He is most likely responsible for seeking ROAR approval.

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...n-of-the-forum

The 17.5 motor is available from the USA warehouse, the International warehouse and the Australian Warehouse ( i didnt check the other warehouses) Also, any retailer can purchase direct from Hobbyking at a wholesale rate and then on sell to the public. Hobbyking have a wholesale section on theire website but it's usually the same saving as the buddy code and there is a $2000 minimum spend. I've seen quite a few shops here in Australia stock hobbyking products and many sellers on ebay that also sell their stuff too. I've also seen their trackstar stuff in Tokyo shops. So they are available from more than 3 web shops and any LHS if they want to stock their products.

Had another great run with the 17.5 Tstar today. Fastest lap and race. Its a great motor. Hottest temp found was 60 deg. celsius on the windings through the cooling port and 52 deg. celsius on the can. That was with a fair amount of heatsoak after disconnecting the battery. Spoke to club committee members. Showed him the Roar approval page for the motor. He confirmed it is a satisfactory approval for the club and the upcoming state title race.
midse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #290
Tech Elite

If you could provide some links that would be great in our effort to get these approved (if they are not allready). still waiting for a reply from roar but will call monday morning. any evidence of availability we can supply to roar will greatly help.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #291
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
im going to call the roar director monday morning and ask for sure. you have a point yosh70. i see that has been removed. maybe it is. but i want to make sure. its still not on the motor approval page yet. so only time will tell. i really want it approved. ill buy at least 3 more. ill have 4 after that. 3 in cars and one spare. at that price why not..
Still not on the motor approval page? - Read through the links and the Roar forum and you'll see the Roar forum is the NEW approved list area for batteries and motors.

Please read this
http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...n-of-the-forum

In the link above it says this older approved motor list ......... http://roarracing.org/approved_brushless_motors.php ........ will be added into this official ROAR forum approval list http://roarracing.org/4rmb/forumdisp...rovals-Section ...........its been months and it still isn't done.

Read all the information in those links and it should make sense to everyone. It does to me. It is a little confusing, as ROAR has always been. This... http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...tar-9192000029 says the availability check was done on the 12/03/14..... and the ExCom FINALAPPROVAL ( Read: Roar Executive Committe Final Approval) was done on the 03/01/14. That indicates it is approved. Just because the other motor listings specify websites/shops where it may be purchased from doesn't mean that this particular motor approval has to mention where it can be purchased. Trackstar is available from ANY retailer anywhere in the world - The retailer simply has to create a wholesale account with Hobbyking. A part doesnt necessarily have to be stocked or in a store. It just needs to be able to be widely commercially available. Which it is.

Which is what Futaba-Sangyo(very popular,very cheap and well stocked Akihabira,Tokyo.) has done prices in the actual store are much cheaper than the website- Yokomo parts were half price the day I was there
http://www.f-sangyo.co.jp/shopdetail/081001000197/

As I mentioned earlier - luckily at the moment - Our local racing body allows ANY commercially available 540 motor for that class. They maintain their own list of approved 21.5 blinky motors which the Trackstar 21.5 is on. Batteries and ESC have to be ROAR/EFRA etc. approved.

I totally understand your cautiousness, I also hold some reservations as historically ROAR in my opinion has made errors ( we all make them) but the information on the site says the 17.5 is approved. Roar should have a better layout or process of approval. As the way the approval reads, the Excom Final Approval was done before the availability check. Or simply have a red AWAITNG APPROVAL logo within the post and simply change it to a large green APPROVED logo when the component officially is approved

More shop links via google

http://thescalerstore.altervista.org...43/language/en

http://www.teamsi.co.kr/shop/shopdet...&search=&sort=
Old 03-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #292
Tech Elite

aaaaand there are your 2 other retailers. so that makes them roar legal. the information given also tells me they are legal so i will be using these in my f1 car and my mini. i have a novak for my scale spec car to it gets that.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #293
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I don't get what your local club races has to do with ROAR approvals. Club races don't affect ROAR, so your point there is irrelevant.

A stipulation of getting approved is having 3 suppliers. For example, check the Hobbywing v10 17.5 motors. It's had an EXCOM approval for 3 months now; however, it's still not approved because supply information hasn't been verified.

Just because YOU interpret it to be approved doesn't mean it is. It makes sense to us, too.

Also, I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I think it needs 3 US suppliers. Every other motor that has been approved has suppliers like AMain, Reflex racing, Tqrc, etc.. all American stores. I don't think online Chinese and Korean stores count.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #294
Tech Elite

our club enforces roar rules.

here are the rules regarding availability according to roar. nothing states us retailers only.

8.5.2 Availability for Member Purchase:
8.5.2.1.1 Product availability is required to no less than three retail outlets prior to publication on approval list. All documentation must be submitted to ROAR Technical Director prior to publication on approval list. The manufacturer has to provide the name and address of a least hobby shops or the like, so that any driver who wishes to obtain
these motors at the time of the approval can do so. No hybrid (mixing of parts from approved brushless motors) allowed
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #295
Tech Fanatic

Sorry, wasn't responding to your post. I was responding to midse's, who keeps bringing up his club officials as if they're ROAR officials.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #296
Tech Elite

im not too sure he is in the usa. im thinking aus.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #297
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=hyujmn;13102673]I don't get what your local club races has to do with ROAR approvals. Club races don't affect ROAR, so your point there is irrelevant.

A stipulation of getting approved is having 3 suppliers. For example, check the Hobbywing v10 17.5 motors. It's had an EXCOM approval for 3 months now; however, it's still not approved because supply information hasn't been verified.

Just because YOU interpret it to be approved doesn't mean it is. It makes sense to us, too.

Also, I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I think it needs 3 US suppliers. Every other motor that has been approved has suppliers like AMain, Reflex racing, Tqrc, etc.. all American stores. I don't think online Chinese and Korean stores count.[/QUOTE

The V10 wasnt approved as I believe the shaft was too short and the endbell cover changed. Something along those lines

Anyone, anywhere in the world can buy the trackstar motor. Why should a component have to be purchased from a US based website? Companies from all over the world are afilliates of ROAR. Many clubs all over the world officially follow ROAR guidelines. As mentioned by Drags, there is no ruling that stipulates what country the retailer is based in. It kinda reads it's up to the manufacturer to provide the retailers names.

There is not a single engineered brand in the world that isn't supplied from china, taiwan, Japan bangladesh or cambodia. Even the reputed brands that are "Made in USA" do this. Novak source components and solder from china, even Protoform header cards are printed in china and BSR tyres sources their foam from Japan.

Unfortuneately we the end consumer are to blame as much as the corporate executive. It's truly much more of a world market than what it was a generation ago.

Chinese shop?? No a very well known shop in Akahabira, Tokyo, Japan which is across the China Sea
There are about 5-6 huge RC shops in Akahabira.t takes about 20 minutes to walk past all of them but if you do you'll use up about 4=8 hours checking them out , plenty of threads about them. Awesome range, Futaba-Sangyo had a whole aisle devoted to aftermarket screws. Huge collection of world championship winning cars/buggies - Pretty sure one was a Hirosaka RC10.

I myself am in Australia - My club and present state governing body only require motors to be commercially available, meaning that anyone can buy them so it's quite a broad ruling and allows for otherwise "illegal" motors to be used as long as their is plentiful supply for all other drivers to use.

Our state governing body will be shut down so we shall be now following the national governing bodies guidelines who follow Roar,Efra etc. Our club official is satisfied it is ROAR approved to race the way it presently reads. There is nothing in it that indicates it is Not Yet Approved. Only ExCOM Final approval. Indicating there is nothing left to do. There are no official guidelines on how to accurately interpret the entries.

The words reading - Excom final approval: XYZ DATE are misleading if it isn't actually approved. It could be laid out more logically than that. I have to go now and continue sobbing. The Aussie driver was disqualified from our F1 GP

Last edited by midse; 03-17-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #298
Tech Addict

Rob King did respond to my forum question about the motors legality two weeks ago. They have not met retail requirements so they are not legal at ROAR sanctioned events. Any track following those rules should not allow those to be raced. As several have noted there are other motors in the same position. The application form can also be found at the ROAR website if you are interested in seeing the requirements for approval.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #299
Tech Fanatic

Still, nothing you talk about applies to a ROAR approval.

Also, if you did any reading whatsoever, you would notice that the HW v10 motors have also passed inspection. Their problem was that the endbell would come loose and mess with motor timing. It's also passed ExCom approval but isn't approved because retail outlets haven't been verified. At this point, that is the ONLY criteria holding the Trackstar and v10 motors back; they lack the retail outlets, though I think the v10 has a bunch of places carrying it now.

Either way, all of your points are moot because Rob King himself stated the Trackstar motors aren't approved. Sorry about the luck.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #300
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
Rob King did respond to my forum question about the motors legality two weeks ago. They have not met retail requirements so they are not legal at ROAR sanctioned events. Any track following those rules should not allow those to be raced. As several have noted there are other motors in the same position. The application form can also be found at the ROAR website if you are interested in seeing the requirements for approval.
show us the post. and who is rob king? i dont know who he is.