R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #256
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does Asian market care if the motor is ROAR Legal or not?
Maybe they are selling a lot in the Asian market.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

dont know. roar is usa only isnt it? or usa and canada? europe and asia is Ifmar correct?
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #258
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeee View Post
Problem is, as I see it, that hobbyking don't need to sell them through other outlets.

The ROAR rule about multiple retailers is, I guess, to promote price competitiveness. Imagine if a motor got approved that was easily better than everything else (which is another argument about legalities of such a motor), but only one retailer had them. That one retailer could charge mega bucks! This though, does not apply to hobbyking as they are selling their motors cheaper than anything else on the market.

My red 21.5 Trackstar is as a top motor. I run it in 21.5 boosted. Paired with a hobbyking x-car 60A. That combination is as good as anything else at my club. They all laughed at me when I told them how much I paid.
I use mine also 21.5 BOOSTED and its as quick or quicker than anything in our club and usually gets me a win so i wont be changing brands anytime soon.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #259
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
dont know. roar is usa only isnt it? or usa and canada? europe and asia is Ifmar correct?
EFRA = Europe
ROAR = Usa
FEMCA = Asia

I wouldn't know if they even have one for Africa.
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #260
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
On another note. Speed passion had dirt cheap motors that were competitive. Did nothing for their popularity.
95% of racers are idiots, they buy whichever brand some winning driver uses, and thinks that "if I buy that, then I must become as fast as him", which of course is as far from the truth as it could ever be.

I'm pretty sure if people like Ronald Volker and Marc Reinhard were to run one of these "budget" cars like XI Sport or SpecR with the electrics and batts off hobbyking they'd still be winning.

They get paid to use what they use.
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #261
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
95% of racers are idiots, they buy whichever brand some winning driver uses, and thinks that "if I buy that, then I must become as fast as him", which of course is as far from the truth as it could ever be.

I'm pretty sure if people like Ronald Volker and Marc Reinhard were to run one of these "budget" cars like XI Sport or SpecR with the electrics and batts off hobbyking they'd still be winning.

They get paid to use what they use.
It even happens at club level. I was told "Joe Bloggs' car is the fastest because it has a Tekin RS Pro ESC, get that or you'll be slow". My $26 hobbywing x-car and $37 trackstar motor beats Joe Bloggs.
poeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #262
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
EFRA = Europe
ROAR = Usa
FEMCA = Asia

I wouldn't know if they even have one for Africa.
FAMAR is the fourth bloc which is essentially everybody else... it has a mixture of South America and Africa.

All four blocs are part of IFMAR.
vr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #263
Tech Fanatic

Default 10.5 T Trackstar Red Cans

I'm currently using the red can 10.5T trackstar motor in our control class we run at our track. ESC must be in blink mode, in saying this I have recently purchased 7 off these motors. In all honesty these trackstar motor ROCK, are very competitive and are as good if not better than there more expensive counterparts. I was under the assumption that some of these motors have just recently been ROAR approved. Save yourselves some money and run these motors. The money you save can be spent elsewhere.
Futaba 3PK (HRS) - Crystals still rock.
Old School for Old Fools.
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #264
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Bearing

Does anyone know the size of the bearing for the pinion side of a Trackstar 2100 1/8 scale motor?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #265
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchy View Post
I'm currently using the red can 10.5T trackstar motor in our control class we run at our track. ESC must be in blink mode, in saying this I have recently purchased 7 off these motors. In all honesty these trackstar motor ROCK, are very competitive and are as good if not better than there more expensive counterparts. I was under the assumption that some of these motors have just recently been ROAR approved. Save yourselves some money and run these motors. The money you save can be spent elsewhere.
nothing approved as of yet. they have passed the inspections but due to availability requirements they have not been fully approved. its still pending.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #266
Tech Rookie

I have been running these in my VTA , we allow 21.5 I have a silver one that has a season and a half on it ...still strong and never gets hot, I have used the red ones(same style as the silver but it looks like they changed anodizing color to red this year!!) and they are great also. I have heard of the 1 in every 5 are dogs.... but I have yet to have that issue.
InCaRnAtE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

I just ordered my 2nd trackstar motor. I think with this one i am going to try and mill it for more timing. For 35$ these motors can no be beat!!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #268
Tech Elite

tested my 21.5 last night in my f1. my novak im running a 3.93 fdr. so i dropped in the trackstar and dropped the ratio to 3.03 since it has a little more kv. same speed as the novak on the straight but alot more get up and go on the infield. timing at max.. for the main i decided to go back to the 3.93 ratio and that was a mistake. i lost the snappiness on the infield and the straight it didnt accelerate as well. temps after the 6 min run were 130 max. next race ill drop back to the 3.03 ratio and see how it goes. if i lose a tad on the straight its ok. ide rather be able to make it up on the infield where the car really shines.

my first impression of the track star motors is 2 thumbs up! very impressed at the power and consistency even after the normal heat buildup. now if we can get the hobbyking guys to get them into 3 stores then we can get em roar approved! please guys please!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #269
Tech Fanatic

My GF wants to get into RC so i went all-Turnigy budget build, including the 17.5 red-can which looks to be the same as the silver can, just a different color. Not to be confused with the shiny original red can. Anyway, it has just as much power as my super expensive custom motor. Might even be more.
rallyredevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #270
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Turnigy Trackstar 17.5

If anyone has been looking the red can turnigy trackstar 17.5 from hobbyking I have a code that can help you get even cheaper. If you send me a pm I will send you the code. Use this code when adding it to your cart you will only pay $30.18, just want to help the budgets. The code is only valid till 03/24/14. You must have an account with hobbyking to use the code.

I will reply as fast as I can.
blklblrc is offline   Reply With Quote