R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #181
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
Any body know what size bearing goes in these motors? I have a 9.5 red can and the bearing on the sensor board end exploded after about 4 packs in one of my drift cars. I run the 17.5 in sct and the 21.5 in F1 without any issues.
So the bad bearing took out the sensor board. Anyone know if the Reedy Sonic board will fit, or if a replacement board is available?
SC5M(x2), B5M, SC10.2, FT SC10, FT TC5, FT TC4, 12R5, AE Rival MT, RC10 Classic, RC10 Worlds, CW Pro Comp Outlaw, F104 pro v2, RJ Speed Legend, Traxxas Slash(x2), 4x4 Slash VXL, Vendetta ST, Axial SCX10, Yeti, Smt10, G-Made/AX10, Tamiya Super Clodbuster
pettyeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
So the bad bearing took out the sensor board. Anyone know if the Reedy Sonic board will fit, or if a replacement board is available?
It will fit, but only if you also use the end bell side of the outer "can" off a Reedy motor, and then you'll end up with a motor with 2 different brandings on it, and more than likely more expensive than to buy another Trackstar motor.

Also no replacement boards available. Bin the sensor part and keep the rest of the motor for spares (rotor, stator, can, bearing, shims) for your other Trackstar motors. Similar thing happened to one of mine as well.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #183
Tech Addict

Quote:
I had to replace the bearing on the sensor board but looks impossible to take it out without damaging the sensor board.And since HK doesn't sell spares for these motors,i have one with broken rotor and damaged sensor and a second one with damaged bearing on sensor board.Practically both useless.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #184
Tech Master

Bearing on sensor board?... Doesn't sound right. Any photos?

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #185
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
Bearing on sensor board?... Doesn't sound right. Any photos?
Photos are a little blur but you can get the picture what i'm talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Turnigy TrackStar Motors-dscn2255.jpg   Turnigy TrackStar Motors-dscn2256.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #186
Tech Addict

I always use a remove bearing tool to take out the motor bearings .With these motors you cannot use this tool so i tried another method ( a small hammer and a 2mm Hex tip)and i managed to take out the bearing without damage the sensor board.Now let see if i can fit a new one.

Last edited by Born2Run; 09-09-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #187
Tech Addict

Very difficult to fit the bearing.Before insert it was turning free but now i can feel the grind.I don't know.Too much pressure from the Alu sensor body maybe? IMO this bearing is too small for a motor. Just 3X7X3.The smallest i ever seen on a brushless motor.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #188
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
Very difficult to fit the bearing.Before insert it was turning free but now i can feel the grind.I don't know.Too much pressure from the Alu sensor body maybe? IMO this bearing is too small for a motor. Just 3X7X3.The smallest i ever seen on a brushless motor.
After 6 months of beating the crap out of my 10.5T silver can trackstar in a blinky 10.5T on foam class, it also began to sound like a steam train, pulled it apart and there was a good teaspoon full of foam dust and track pickup in there, there are gouges in the rotor and i am certain one of the bearings has gone or is going.

But considering that it is still as fast as the day it was new, it has never been maintained, and it only cost $30 I am not complaining one bit. Best value for money motor there is on the market. Still runs cool also, with full timing, they take the punishment.

I have just replaced it with a Speedpassion MMM V3.0 that i use for ROAR approved needed races, which runs hot and is no faster than the Turdigy. Next order from hobbyking will have 2 new red Trackstars on it. For club racing, they cannot be beat.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #189
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Am trying to find a fast cheap 4.5t motor to run on 3s, but on their website it shows as only 2s capable, whereas the exact same motor but in 8turn is 3s capable.

Straange......any ideas?
smallnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #190
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallnails View Post
Am trying to find a fast cheap 4.5t motor to run on 3s, but on their website it shows as only 2s capable, whereas the exact same motor but in 8turn is 3s capable.

Straange......any ideas?
4.5T on 3S is too risky.Not only for the motor but for speedo and batteries.Only the Castle creations 7700 could survive on 3s and this is not 100% sure.The risk is all yours.Good luck.

Last edited by Born2Run; 09-10-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #191
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
After 6 months of beating the crap out of my 10.5T silver can trackstar in a blinky 10.5T on foam class, it also began to sound like a steam train, pulled it apart and there was a good teaspoon full of foam dust and track pickup in there, there are gouges in the rotor and i am certain one of the bearings has gone or is going.

But considering that it is still as fast as the day it was new, it has never been maintained, and it only cost $30 I am not complaining one bit. Best value for money motor there is on the market. Still runs cool also, with full timing, they take the punishment.

I have just replaced it with a Speedpassion MMM V3.0 that i use for ROAR approved needed races, which runs hot and is no faster than the Turdigy. Next order from hobbyking will have 2 new red Trackstars on it. For club racing, they cannot be beat.
+1

Plus that the rotor, bearings & stators will fit into a Reedy and vice versa.

A few of these motors are also starting to be seen in peoples cars during our club racing nights.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #192
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
Did u try to desolder the board off first? Its no easy task but doable i think..

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #193
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
Did u try to desolder the board off first? Its no easy task but doable i think..
NO.The only way is what i done and the next time it will be easier.Must be very gentle when trying to replace the bearing and it will be fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #194
Tech Apprentice

Hi also had a broken bearing in the sensor board.

I also had to tap the bearing with al little hammer to get i out, there was no other way that i could get it out. I didn't damaged the sensors but i wouldn't be surprised if i would be broken.

Then ordered 10 new bearings for 5 dollar on ebay.
I replaced the first one but damaged it because the hole in the sensor board was to small.

Then i made some kind of tool to make the hole a little bit bigger. I rolled a piece of sandpaper around a screw en put it in a drilling device.

Only use the drilling machine a few seconds or the hole wil be tho big and you can throw the sensor board away.

The motor is running perfectly now.
sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #195
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

does anyone know how many degrees each mark is on the endbell?