Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best ESC and MOTOR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default What's the best ESC and MOTOR?

I've been looking for the best answer in this forum but can't seem to find one. So here I am asking this question I'm interested in running the 21.5 class, moving from the 540 silver can motor class because I find it not fast enough Someone told me that both LRP esc and motor works great and best but I just want to hear more opinions from others too.

This is what I've heard about.
ESC: Tekin, LRP, Speed Passion and Orion.
MOTOR: Reedy Sonic, Revtech, LRP.

I would like someone to help me out with which works great with each other and it's the best.

Thanks

Last edited by Sam9; 07-15-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM

You're probably still not going to find your answers here. All of the manufacturers make good equipment and the guys who run them typically are pretty loyal. You'll get as many recommendations as there are manufacturers

What chassis are you running? What class? I assume USGT or UF1? With USGT, you'll want a strong setup with good torque. With UF1, you'll want to be able to tone down initial punch and have a smooth throttle curve.

I am having good luck with both the Tekin RS combo (UF1) and the Novak Edge/Ballistic combo (VTA -25.5). The Novak is less expensive as a combo.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not enough information (a 21.5 is a 540 size motor and is slow).

There is no BEST. What's good for crawlers is horrible for TC and Off-road is stilol different.

The class you race in will dictate what size motor then ask the other racers what they use and be ready to hear all kinds of raves and pans of the same gear.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

I'm running the USGT class with a HB TCX chassis. So Tekin+1.
Anymore recommendation?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

1) Find out what the fast guys at your local track are racing.
2) Make sure your track supports what you buy.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EricW
1) Find out what the fast guys at your local track are racing.
2) Make sure your track supports what you buy.
I did ask the fastest guy but he says the esc and motor he is using isn't good and told me to get a different one which is the best that's why I'm here asking more opinions
Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Though I really like my RS, I suggest you go with the Novak Edge combo. You will be competetive for about half the price of the Tekin.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
Though I really like my RS, I suggest you go with the Novak Edge combo. You will be competetive for about half the price of the Tekin.
Thanks for that, I'll think through it.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Sam9
I did ask the fastest guy but he says the esc and motor he is using isn't good and told me to get a different one which is the best that's why I'm here asking more opinions
This should tell you that being fastest isn't dependent on the type of motor and ESC you have in your car. Any of the bigger named brand products are worth buying. Keep this thread alive for a week and you'll have every name brand listed as the fastest and best motor/ESC combo.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EricW
This should tell you that being fastest isn't dependent on the type of motor and ESC you have in your car. Any of the bigger named brand products are worth buying. Keep this thread alive for a week and you'll have every name brand listed as the fastest and best motor/ESC combo.
True. But I haven't got enough opinion to what should I get. So far Tekin and Novak like you said.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've seen Novak's smoke like a chimney. The Rs Pro isn't always the smoothest speed control and sometimes it can feel like an on/off switch. Viper is cool but not a lot of local support through man hobby shops as they are newer. But you can get it with a field programmer which makes life easy. The Speed Passion sells out super quick and I don't really see any go up. You can get a citrix for 50 buck range that will handle down to a 9.5 and their top of the line is about 135 for mod. Then you have HobbyWing which some people swear by. They make a speed control for around 50 bucks to dont know the motor level. They also make a 230 range one that a lot of the big boys use. I know a lot of people who use the Orion who love it. Supposedly its the same as the Hobbywing or Speed Passion.

You really can't go wrong with those. So the real question is do you think you will ever move up from usgt? Maybe VTA? cause if you even think about vta make sure its an approved esc like the citrix etc. All the above speed controls can handle 17.5.

Not all the esc's can handle mod/boost. So just set a budget. Ask your self do you ever see yourself moving up classes. Then buy one once!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I love the Hobbywing Xerun, and agree with NolanP. I have used several of the top name brands and can tell you any of them worked great. Hobbywing is much cheaper than most but offered the same performance and reliability. Companies like Tekin, LRP, Novak, Castle and several others cost more, but offer excellent customer support if you are inexperienced or just plain clumsy.