Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 2 Post By gigaplex

How to spot 1/10th electric motor magnet strength

Old 10-19-2022, 12:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default How to spot 1/10th electric motor magnet strength

Hi RC experts,

How to differentiate different motor magnet strength ?

It is said good motor have very good magnet strength, how do we know this ?

Anyone can enlighten this ?

Greatly appreciated
Old 10-19-2022, 01:04 AM
Tech Lord

There are meters to measure the magnetic strength.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

Which brand motor has very good magnet strength ?
Old 10-19-2022, 03:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foosoomin
Which brand motor has very good magnet strength ?
Most brands have high strength rotor options.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I have used this meter here in the past when comparing magnetic strength of rotors:
Amazon Amazon

In order to get reliable readings I had to remove the rotor and slowly rotate the rotor to let the magnetic field find it's peak measurement, the readings are not static so you have to quickly observe the peak strength.

Note that many manufacturers already measure their rotors before they assemble them to be sold to the public, the stronger rotors are reserved specifically for the team drivers. I did observe that some rotors were nearly 100mG different from others in the high torque rotors I tested from Trinity, that was close to a 6% variance in strength. I can only imagine how much stronger the team rotors are!
Old 10-20-2022, 10:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm not so sure is he specifically asking for rotor strength. I am getting the impression that he has been told (or at least got the impression) that motor magnet strength is the primary determination of how fast a motor is. I could be wrong.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

I think he's asking both, and for off-road I can confirm that rotor strength will make a 1/10 off-road car have both faster acceleration and slightly faster top speed with the rotors I've personally measured and tested on the track and compared my lap times.

It's been many years since I've raced on-road and I didn't do any testing with rotors back then, but generally high rpm rotors have been more sought out for on-road, but I would imagine a smaller more technical track would have me desire a torque rotor with higher magnetic strength as my personal preference.

Trinity is one of the brands out there that will sell 5% team spec motors to the public, though those motors are not as fast as the actual team motors that the team drivers get, they are guaranteed to be no more than 5% slower than the team motors.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
I think he's asking both, and for off-road I can confirm that rotor strength will make a 1/10 off-road car have both faster acceleration and slightly faster top speed with the rotors I've personally measured and tested on the track and compared my lap times.

It's been many years since I've raced on-road and I didn't do any testing with rotors back then, but generally high rpm rotors have been more sought out for on-road, but I would imagine a smaller more technical track would have me desire a torque rotor with higher magnetic strength as my personal preference.

Trinity is one of the brands out there that will sell 5% team spec motors to the public, though those motors are not as fast as the actual team motors that the team drivers get, they are guaranteed to be no more than 5% slower than the team motors.
5% is a massive performance gap.
gwhiz and billdelong like this.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex
5% is a massive performance gap.
And this is why I choose to run mod classes whenever possible, the concept of "spec" racing has lost it's luster for me, especially when I get out motored.. part of me thinks this might be a factor in why the 1/10 program died in my area, people probably figured if they were going to run mod then simply run 1/8 and ditch 1/10 completely.. shrug