R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #1036
Tech Fanatic

I have just installed a new LRP Flow Worksteam in a newly build Tamiya TRF418.

The below mentioned problem is present both in the stock 1.4 firmware and the 4.7 firmware, which I upgraded to. I did a reset after the update as instructed.

My problem is that the motor starts running slowly by itself, especially after power on or after running the motor and breaking. And when holding a steady throttle the motor revs up and down in increment steps.

I have calibrated 10 times, tried 6 different motors (LRP and other brands), 3 different sensor wires and re-binding.

I have tried to disable every timing, turbo etc. in the esc, but the problem persists.

The speedo has replaced a speed passion speedo, and everything worked (and still does) with that esc.

No doubt it is the esc. But what can cause the speedo to behave like this?

I have read about similar problems, but can't find a solution or answer to the problem.

Help is much apreciated.

Last edited by Salkin; 08-07-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Salkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #1037
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post

The berlow mentioned problem is present both in the stock 1.4 firmware and the 4.7 firmware, which I upgraded to.

My problem is that the motor starts running slowly by itself, especially after power on or after running the motor and breaking. And when holding a steady throttle the motor revs up and down in increment steps.

I have calibrated 10 times, tried 6 different motors (LRP and other brands), 3 different sensor wires.

I have tried to disable every timing, turbo etc. in the esc, but the problem persists.

The speedo has replaced a speed passion speedo, and everything worked (and still does) with that esc.

I have read about similar problems, but can't find a solution or answer to the problem.

Help is much apreciated.

You have mail

greetings peter
peter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #1038
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post

The below mentioned problem is present both in the stock 1.4 firmware and the 4.7 firmware, which I upgraded to. I did a reset after the update as instructed.

I have calibrated 10 times, tried 6 different motors (LRP and other brands), 3 different sensor wires and re-binding.

Help is much apreciated.
Solved the problem by buying an LRP X20 motor. Works fine now.

Rationale: maybe you have another brand motor that works with the Flow, maybe you don't. To be safe, buy a LRP X20 motor.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:08 AM   #1039
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Trying to find power with this esc. Was recommended this esc for stock. I have to say my other brand feels way more aggressive. This feels sluggish. I'm on the stock firmare. Added a little drag brake and that's it. Does the update help the feel for stock? Or are there parameters I'm missing. Tried upping initial feel and that made things worse. Any help appreciated

Stock TC- medium size asphalt track medium grip level
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #1040
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

J -- the flow works really well in stock. The only perf new firmware gives you are braking profiles. Blinky drive profiles are unchanged.

Maybe you got the wrong motor or gearing?
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #1041
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Gonna try gearing change today. Im running Actinium on timing mark 4 with a 3.6 fdr. Should I try 3.3ish? It just feels slower down the straight is my only real issue. The feel in the infield is pretty nice.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #1042
Tech Apprentice

SO, I just updated to my flow works to V3.8 for pro buggy running X20 7.5 and realised there is NO turbo timing mode! Whats the deal with that?? I love the new brake settings but No turbo? Guess I'm going to have to go back to the basic firmware..
Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #1043
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's pretty odd, especially as the onroad one does have it.

I guess it is the "worlds" firmware, so is exactly as they ran at the worlds perhaps with no turbo?

Very odd to release it like that though.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #1044
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
Gonna try gearing change today. Im running Actinium on timing mark 4 with a 3.6 fdr. Should I try 3.3ish? It just feels slower down the straight is my only real issue. The feel in the infield is pretty nice.
One less tooth
Make sure your at the CCW #4
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #1045
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
Trying to find power with this esc. Was recommended this esc for stock. I have to say my other brand feels way more aggressive. This feels sluggish. I'm on the stock firmare. Added a little drag brake and that's it. Does the update help the feel for stock? Or are there parameters I'm missing. Tried upping initial feel and that made things worse. Any help appreciated

Stock TC- medium size asphalt track medium grip level
Intial drive will make the bottom end feel a little more aggresive, but it won't change too much. I ran 3 or 4 with the stock firmware. I think a lot of times going from a punchy esc to a smooth one the smooth one will feel slow just because you dont get the power in a burst, even though it isn't. I know Manny up here yesterday ran a 3.78fdt on his Actinium on max timing with a flow, and it was plenty fast

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #1046
Tech Fanatic

Using a Flow Works Team with a 6.5T LRP X20 motor in a Tamiya TRF418 on medium sized asphalt tracks, are the standard settings in the 4.7 firmware a good start or are there any obvious changes I should make to the settings?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #1047
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes, the default settings are a good place to start

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #1048
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Yes, the default settings are a good place to start
Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 AM   #1049
Tech Fanatic

I'm using the a Flow Works Team with an X20 6.5T motor.

Is the speedo/motor temp readout on the speedo reliable in any way?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #1050
Tech Regular

Hi all,

Thinking about pairing a FLOW works with my r1wurks 17.5. From this thread i've heard that the Flow doesn't like to work as well with other brand motors. Has anybody tried this combination?

Thanks
Zhangesh is offline   Reply With Quote