R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #556
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Alright, im pretty unhappy with the performance of this ESC.

Ran some suggestions that were recommended for use here on this forum, and nothing was really competetive enough to use, or even to consider to use racing in a state championship.

I then clocked everything up. Had the Boost timing on option 9, activation on option 10, turbo on obtion 3 and motor timing on 40deg, and it spanked. The motor reached a total of 90deg celcius, but this can be controlled with heatsink and fan ect.

I then drove this on with other cars running tekin and Speed Passion esc's, and still, they were faster down the straight, out of the corners, when I was taking the best raceline possible for almost the full session. Although I managed to keep them behind me, I was still threatened by their faster more competetive cars.

So... What now?

Honestly.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #557
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
can the flow handle 1s operation. why did the sxx do 1s but the flow I'm not sure
You will need either a voltage booster or a receiver pack to use the Flow in any 1s cars. I run KO radio gear and have had great luck with a 2s lipo receiver pack. A normal life receiver pack will work just fine as well.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #558
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

I run blinky 17.5 TC, do I need to go to 5.0 to get the full potential of my Flow Works? Or Blinky mode is just blinky you don't need 5.0 unless you are running boost.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #559
Tech Adept

Default blinky mode

Ive been told blinky is blinky which ever version of software you use makes no difference to power or performance.
RCvetran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #560
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

this is the track the the sweep challange will be held at on the 28&29 of june I will be running tc mod there with an lrp 8.5 or a 5.5 with the lrp flow. can some one give me a setup for the flow?
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Juwan Hunter http://rccarworld.com/............ serpent.com
Track director at RCCW.
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #561
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
this is the track the the sweep challange will be held at on the 28&29 of june I will be running tc mod there with an lrp 8.5 or a 5.5 with the lrp flow. can some one give me a setup for the flow?
5.5 or lower for sure out there.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #562
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
5.5 or lower for sure out there.
I ran my 8.5 last year there with the tekin rs and on one ould believe that I was running an 8.5. good feel for the in field and nice speed on the straights
Juwan Hunter http://rccarworld.com/............ serpent.com
Track director at RCCW.
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #563
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
I run 6-1-1-2-2-2-0 on an LRP X20 5.0, with my motor id do about 7.3 gear up there. With your 5.5 id run 7.0. Personally I think you will be better off with the 5.5, you wont have to push it as hard and it will run cooler. I also think lower winds are smoother to drive.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #564
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post

Ran some suggestions that were recommended for use here on this forum, and nothing was really competetive enough to use, or even to consider to use racing in a state championship.

I then clocked everything up. Had the Boost timing on option 9, activation on option 10, turbo on obtion 3 and motor timing on 40deg, and it spanked. The motor reached a total of 90deg celcius, but this can be controlled with heatsink and fan ect.

I then drove this on with other cars running tekin and Speed Passion esc's, and still, they were faster down the straight, out of the corners, when I was taking the best raceline possible for almost the full session. Although I managed to keep them behind me, I was still threatened by their faster more competetive cars.

So... What now?

Honestly.
same problem here. At first I thought my speedo is defect. But a few run afterwards, using many brands motor, then I realized that nothing wrong with this speedo. Speedo is fine, only not enough power. It would be nice if the we can get more turbo and activation a litle bit earlier..
feizal917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #565
Tech Champion

Quote:

So... What now?

Honestly.
What motor/endbell timing? fdr? track size? etc

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #566
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

So... What now?

Honestly.
Are you running 13.5?
Motor?
Gearing?
firmware?
What are your full speedy settings in terms of degrees, e.g boost 35 degrees etc.
I haven't run my flow yet but i've had a look at the settings and updated to the new firmware(stock specific), and iv'e come up with a way to calculate the rev range with different boost settings vs boost angle settings, and i've put it all in a table, happy to email it out if anyone is interested . The flow's settings can be a little confusing at first, it's not about how much boost you have but rather how it is applied over a given boost angle, but anyway, i'll be able to give you some settings to try that should work

Last edited by narcotiks; 06-14-2013 at 08:46 PM.
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #567
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcotiks View Post
Are you running 13.5?
Motor?
Gearing?
firmware?
What are your full speedy settings in terms of degrees, e.g boost 35 degrees etc.
I haven't run my flow yet but i've had a look at the settings and updated to the new firmware(stock specific), and iv'e come up with a way to calculate the rev range with different boost settings vs boost angle settings, and i've put it all in a table, happy to email it out if anyone is interested . The flow's settings can be a little confusing at first, it's not about how much boost you have but rather how it is applied over a given boost angle, but anyway, i'll be able to give you some settings to try that should work
Alright, for you, and for all those who asked about this heres what I can supply.

The motor I have been using is the thunder Power 17.5. This does not have the 'high torque' motor installed and has only had the bearings modified.

The gearing I have been using is a 48P standard, with 81T spur gear and 28T pinion gear. I was considering going down to a 27T pinion due to the high temperatures I was reaching just last night. The timing I have applied to the endbell is 40degrees. The FDR being 5.786 (Which is what other people were running aswell!)

The track I have been using can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7tYk31ttjs

- Note that this is only to get an idea of the track. The motor and speedcontroller are completely different from what I am using now. This is racing indoor on ashphalt with usually medium to high amounts of grip.

I currently have the V5 STOCK SPECIAL firmware installed on the Flow Worksteam ESC, Here are the settings I was running on the flow and the motor the other night:

Auto Brake #0

Feel/Initial Drive #15

Torque Timing #5

Boost Timing #47

Boost Angle #35

Boost Turbo #10

FDR 5.78 (Yokomo BD7)

40 degree timing on motor (Thunder Power 17.5)

Hope this helps!

Thankyou for everything guys, I'd really love to get this ESC working at its full potential. Otherwise, I'm purchasing another brand ESC. Maybe a HW or SP. Thanks!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #568
Tech Champion

I think you have too much endbell timing for running boosted (TP say ~37 is best for blinky, and generally you run less in boosted) and too much gear for that track, and consequently you are probably not winding the esc timing out all the way. I would go to 25* on the endbell, and 6.5 on the gear and then see what happens. You may actually find turning your boost timing down helps, especially if you are not getting to the turbo, which may be the case. If this helps, you could also try a more aggressive ramp as well.

I would also turn the torque timing off, to be safe. LRP say that setting should only be used with LRP motors..

Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #569
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sounds like way too much end bell timing and im not aware of the flow having that high of settings you stated for boost timing and angle. Set the end bell timing at 30 deg and pull all you boost back to nothing in the esc and start adding timing angle and boost together 1/1/1 ,2/2/2 ect till you get to around 170 deg motor temp. Cant hurt to drop a tooth aswell let the flow do the work.

Awesomatix USA/Speedzone USA
LRP/Futaba/Middle River Russian Mafia
Awesomatixusa.com/Speedzoneusa.com
95lscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #570
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Alright, for you, and for all those who asked about this heres what I can supply.

The motor I have been using is the thunder Power 17.5. This does not have the 'high torque' motor installed and has only had the bearings modified.

The gearing I have been using is a 48P standard, with 81T spur gear and 28T pinion gear. I was considering going down to a 27T pinion due to the high temperatures I was reaching just last night. The timing I have applied to the endbell is 40degrees. The FDR being 5.786 (Which is what other people were running aswell!)

The track I have been using can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7tYk31ttjs

- Note that this is only to get an idea of the track. The motor and speedcontroller are completely different from what I am using now. This is racing indoor on ashphalt with usually medium to high amounts of grip.

I currently have the V5 STOCK SPECIAL firmware installed on the Flow Worksteam ESC, Here are the settings I was running on the flow and the motor the other night:

Auto Brake #0

Feel/Initial Drive #15

Torque Timing #5

Boost Timing #47

Boost Angle #35

Boost Turbo #10

FDR 5.78 (Yokomo BD7)

40 degree timing on motor (Thunder Power 17.5)

Hope this helps!

Thankyou for everything guys, I'd really love to get this ESC working at its full potential. Otherwise, I'm purchasing another brand ESC. Maybe a HW or SP. Thanks!
Hey dude,
I think your gearing is way too high for 17.5, i'm almost down that low with a 13.5! Try between 5.0 and 5.5, I think your motor is getting too hot because it is 1. over revving
2. rev range is WAY to compressed
I'm not sure on the Torque timing, isn't that only for LRP motors?
If other people are running that motor and are at 40 can timing, thats probably around where you should be, but, 40 might be that little too much timing that just adds heat and inefficiency to the equation.
Keep the turbo, motor timing, feel/initial drive, try the lower gearing first
and then try
boost: 47, angle: 30
If that is working better than before,
try
boost: 44 , angle :25

No worries man happy to help i think it's definitely a good speedy, just the settings are miss understood. If you end up giving up, get the hobbywing
Good luck!!
Yanni
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote