R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #331
Tech Regular
 
WNRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gallatin, TN
Posts: 341
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I've looked through pretty much the entire thread & still haven't really found a definitive answer..

I know the Flow has significant improvements for MOD racing, but what about "blinky?" Have any of you run side by side with either of the SXX 2's with or without the updated board?

Thanks!
__________________
-Evan Williams

SMC Racing - Airtronics - Radiopost Servos - Upgrade RC
WNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #332
Tech Adept
 
mcrcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 222
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I never ran the SXX, but I can tell you the Flow is a HUGE improvement over the Tekin RS! After I bought one to replace my RS in blinky 17.5, my lap times were nearly 1 second faster per lap (same track/setup every weekend). I went from barely making the top 10, to being a serious contender in blinky.

Shortly after, I picked up another Flow to replace the RS in my VTA/Scale Spec car, and once again saw improvements (nearly .5 seconds per lap).
__________________
SMC- The best batteries money can buy!
mcrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #333
Tech Master
 
Cridd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,944
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrcracer View Post
I never ran the SXX, but I can tell you the Flow is a HUGE improvement over the Tekin RS! After I bought one to replace my RS in blinky 17.5, my lap times were nearly 1 second faster per lap (same track/setup every weekend). I went from barely making the top 10, to being a serious contender in blinky.

Shortly after, I picked up another Flow to replace the RS in my VTA/Scale Spec car, and once again saw improvements (nearly .5 seconds per lap).
No shiznit?
__________________
Chris
B6D / T5M / SC5M
Cridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #334
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi4cxl View Post
What am I to expect in terms of performance and driveability switching to a flow works over a reventon pro??... Any issues?
Anybody?
Mi4cxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #335
Tech Master
 
JustWill75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DOUGLASVILLE GA.
Posts: 1,785
Send a message via AIM to JustWill75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrcracer View Post
I never ran the SXX, but I can tell you the Flow is a HUGE improvement over the Tekin RS! After I bought one to replace my RS in blinky 17.5, my lap times were nearly 1 second faster per lap (same track/setup every weekend). I went from barely making the top 10, to being a serious contender in blinky.

Shortly after, I picked up another Flow to replace the RS in my VTA/Scale Spec car, and once again saw improvements (nearly .5 seconds per lap).
Well I cant wait now..... I just droped a new Flow into my 17.5 TC replacing my Tekin RS. I will be running it tomorrow night at my local trak HOTSHOTS RC.

I just set it to blinky for now i didnt change anything else for now what settings have you tried? I have not updated it to V.5 yet, I guess ill do that later when I can get the link thingy.....
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED // REEDY POWER // BLAST RC
JustWill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #336
Tech Regular
 
WNRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gallatin, TN
Posts: 341
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I can tell you now that if it's any better than the V2's you'll see a big difference over the Tekin in blinky. Not saying that you'll see a full second over an RS especially since 223 came out for the Tekin's.

Tekin has always been better in MOD, but it was/is more of a light switch in blinky compared to an LRP.
__________________
-Evan Williams

SMC Racing - Airtronics - Radiopost Servos - Upgrade RC
WNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #337
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 304
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

What speedo temps are you guys seeing running mod 1/12 with 3.5 reedy and Kevin H settings?
__________________
www.teamkellner.com
fred kellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #338
Tech Elite
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNRacing View Post
I've looked through pretty much the entire thread & still haven't really found a definitive answer..

I know the Flow has significant improvements for MOD racing, but what about "blinky?" Have any of you run side by side with either of the SXX 2's with or without the updated board?

Thanks!
I have all three. For blinky, the only advantage of the Flow is finer adjustment of the drag brake (LRP Term: initial brake). Other than that I felt no big difference in 17.5 or 13.5 blinky, also proven by identical lap times. It's smoother feeling might actually be a handicap in blinky since it makes the motor feel a little flat off the line.

BUT, If you have any inclination if running mod in the future, it most definitely is a much better Speedo than the old SXX V2. Thats where I really felt the huge improvments of the Flow. I went .2~.3 sec faster per lap in mod class. It's still not as smooth as the Orion R10 but I think LRP brakes are stronger and have better feel making the Flow an all around better choice for covering all the bases from blinky to mod.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #339
Tech Regular
 
WNRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gallatin, TN
Posts: 341
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo View Post
I have all three. For blinky, the only advantage of the Flow is finer adjustment of the drag brake (LRP Term: initial brake). Other than that I felt no big difference in 17.5 or 13.5 blinky, also proven by identical lap times. It's smoother feeling might actually be a handicap in blinky since it makes the motor feel a little flat off the line.

BUT, If you have any inclination if running mod in the future, it most definitely is a much better Speedo than the old SXX V2. Thats where I really felt the huge improvments of the Flow. I went .2~.3 sec faster per lap in mod class. It's still not as smooth as the Orion R10 but I think LRP brakes are stronger and have better feel making the Flow an all around better choice for covering all the bases from blinky to mod.
Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking. I've got both of the SXX 2's, one with the updated board and they're both great in 17.5/13.5 blinky.
__________________
-Evan Williams

SMC Racing - Airtronics - Radiopost Servos - Upgrade RC
WNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #340
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 272
Default

Also could people shed some light on this torque timing thing which is only available with an lrp motor. Is it worth purchasing an lrp motor to take advantage of this feature?
Mi4cxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #341
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi4cxl View Post
Also could people shed some light on this torque timing thing which is only available with an lrp motor. Is it worth purchasing an lrp motor to take advantage of this feature?
I'd take a guess that what it does is retard the timing at low RPM, to get around the limitiation of the X12 not allowing the endbell timing to go lower than 27.5deg.

So probably not worth it as such, although the X12 is a fantastic motor in boosted classes, so still a good purchase.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #342
Tech Master
 
Cridd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,944
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

running setting 2 on drag brake on the SXX V2 what is that same setting convert to on the FLOW?
__________________
Chris
B6D / T5M / SC5M
Cridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #343
Tech Adept
 
mcrcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 222
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Maybe I was able to gain a second per lap due to the fine adjustments of the automatic brakes. With my Tekin, I had tried a few different settings, but could never get the car to slow down smoothly without using brakes.

With the flow, I have the i break set at 5, as I race on a big track with tight corners.
__________________
SMC- The best batteries money can buy!

Last edited by mcrcracer; 02-14-2013 at 12:38 AM.
mcrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #344
Tech Master
 
Cridd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,944
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrcracer View Post
Maybe I was able to gain a second per lap due to the fine adjustments of the initial break. With my Tekin, I had tried a few different settings, but could never get the car to slow down comfortably without applying breaks or letting off far before the corner.

With the flow, I have the initial break set at 5, as I race on a big track with tight corners.
what is the difference between drag brake and initial brake?
__________________
Chris
B6D / T5M / SC5M
Cridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #345
Tech Adept
 
mcrcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 222
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Directly from the manual-

Also called minimum drive, this is the level in % where the speed-controls initial throttle power will start in relation to your radios trigger position. A higher value means more aggressive initial response
__________________
SMC- The best batteries money can buy!

Last edited by mcrcracer; 02-14-2013 at 12:41 AM.
mcrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE COBRARACING Radio and Electronics 12535 07-24-2017 08:53 AM
LRP Vector x12 Brushless Motors mok Electric On-Road 697 08-04-2013 12:35 PM
LRP SXX StockSpec ESC Stein Tumert Electric On-Road 1241 06-08-2012 08:52 AM
Ask Frank Root.....AE, Reedy, LRP, JC Frank Root Electric Off-Road 568 02-14-2010 12:24 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:27 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net