Search

ORCA Team - VRITRA VX COMPETITON ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Have you tried another sensor wire?

I didn't read anywhere that you had.

Not sure this will fix your issues but it's worth a try.

If it's "cogging" at low speed only.

What timing are trying to run on the motor?

With the Reedy make sure you have the proper insert and that it's positioned correctly.

It sounds like you are trying to over time it.

That would explain why it's working in Blinky and not in the mod settings

If all of that doesn't work maybe EA can chime in with something we are missing.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voltron989
Purchased the ESC and card from superior 2 weeks ago and they came with the v3.3 software. I've reset it a million times unless there's another way to reset it besides putting it back to default and loading new settings.
Also did what was mention above which is the same way but leave ESC unplugged with switch on to drain caps after switching to default.
Email Anthony at [email protected] They handle all the warranty and repairs here in North America and he should either give you an answer as to how to correct it or replace it for you.

From the looks of it youve tried everything and it still does it there is either something simple we are all overlooking that Anthony may be able to help with or there is an issue with the speedo in which he can get that handled swiftly as well.

EA
Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by emacrimes
Having trouble with the USB link, the driver installer pops a message that it coudnt copy or install the INF files.

help with this
If you look below Bill has posted the directions on how to install all the software for the USB adapter. If your using windows 8 there are some extra steps or it will not work. Those are listed as well.

EA
Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
Have you tried another sensor wire?

I didn't read anywhere that you had.

Not sure this will fix your issues but it's worth a try.

If it's "cogging" at low speed only.

What timing are trying to run on the motor?

With the Reedy make sure you have the proper insert and that it's positioned correctly.

It sounds like you are trying to over time it.

That would explain why it's working in Blinky and not in the mod settings

If all of that doesn't work maybe EA can chime in with something we are missing.

Good luck
I tried another motor and a new sensor wire with no luck

Motor is at 0 timing. It kinda helped with the issue but didn't solve it.
Even with the motor timing at 0 and the ESC timing at 1 it still has a cog like a sensorless setup would do from start.
If I run 10 degrees of motor timing(half of what the reedy comes set at) and just 1 degree of ESC timing it start cogging badly. Belts even start to vibratate harshly. Once I pass 1/2 throttle the system smooths out and sounds completely different. I assume at that point it's in turbo?
In blinky or 0 timing the system is very smooth regardless of motor timing

Like I said I've been trying all types of things to try and figure it out but no matter what I do if I have any ESC timing it begins to cog even with motor timing at 0 and ESC timing set to 1.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Email Anthony at [email protected] They handle all the warranty and repairs here in North America and he should either give you an answer as to how to correct it or replace it for you.

From the looks of it youve tried everything and it still does it there is either something simple we are all overlooking that Anthony may be able to help with or there is an issue with the speedo in which he can get that handled swiftly as well.

EA
Thank you I will send him an email

I really appreciate it.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Team EAM

Thank you I will send him an email

I really appreciate it.
No problem. Please let me know via email if you get it worked out or need any further assistance.

[email protected]

EA
Old 04-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried another motor and a new sensor wire with no luck

Motor is at 0 timing. It kinda helped with the issue but didn't solve it.
Even with the motor timing at 0 and the ESC timing at 1 it still has a cog like a sensorless setup would do from start.
If I run 10 degrees of motor timing(half of what the reedy comes set at) and just 1 degree of ESC timing it start cogging badly. Belts even start to vibratate harshly. Once I pass 1/2 throttle the system smooths out and sounds completely different. I assume at that point it's in turbo?
In blinky or 0 timing the system is very smooth regardless of motor timing

Like I said I've been trying all types of things to try and figure it out but no matter what I do if I have any ESC timing it begins to cog even with motor timing at 0 and ESC timing set to 1.
I had a similar issue ... cause was transmitter setting.
I have the new KO.
Check throttle settings that act like traction control ... I was using this .. reduced to 0 which resolved the issue
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Hello

Got a question to ask about orca motors, I didn't see a page for them. Has any body tried the opition stock rotor for the 13.5? If so what was the difference?

Cheers
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Please share your setup for a large outdoor asphalt track. 4.5t motor.

I'm having trouble finding a good setup...

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

To give a update.

I contacted Anthony and he responded early this morning.
He asked if by any chance if I had another motor to try even though I already tried 2 reedys. I ordered a TX 4.5 Monday out of frustration and as a last resort.
Got the motor this morning and soldered it up and it's very smooth with the default 10 degree motor timing and 15 degree so the ESC.
I guess the reedy motors for some reason don't work well with this ESC.
I'm kinda bummed out about that. I really liked the reedy and now I can't even count on them as being a back up.
I'll see how I like the ORCA now that I had to buy one. One thing I'm not liking about it is the shaft on the motor is a little longer then other motors
It actually will make contact with the battery if the battery shift right against the lipo stops on the chasis.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

To give a update.

He asked if by any chance if I had another motor to try even though I already tried 2 reedys. I ordered a TX 4.5 Monday out of frustration and as a last resort.
Got the motor this morning and soldered it up and it's very smooth with the default 10 degree motor timing and 15 degree so the ESC.
I'm kinda bummed out about that. I really liked the reedy and now I can't even count on them as being a back up.
I'll see how I like the ORCA now that I had to buy one. One thing I'm not liking about it is the shaft on the motor is a little longer then other motors
It actually will make contact with the battery if the battery shift right against the lipo stops on the chasis.
I think you will like the orca motor. It's really smooth for a low turn. Just dremel a touch off the end. I needed to do that with mine. Takes 5 sec and no more worries.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

To give a update.

Hi Voltron

Good that you connected with Anthony.

In the testing and racing that I have done with Reedy & LRP motors (as well as ORCA) - I have not had an issue as you have reported including the VX and VXX series of ESCs.

Things to try
- ensure that your ESCs are updated with the most recent software build from ORCA
- calibrate your radio (I use KO as well) to a throttle high point of 100 for mod.
- try known mod esc profile from Andrew Hardman or Alexander Hagberg as a starter
- if the Reedy motor still exhibits some oddity; try replacing the sensor board and cable for the motor

The ORCA motor will surely be a good option. But there hasn't been any reason I have encountered that it didn't work with a Reedy motor as long as everything in the motor was is working condition.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jerz616
I think you will like the orca motor. It's really smooth for a low turn. Just dremel a touch off the end. I needed to do that with mine. Takes 5 sec and no more worries.
Yea it feels really smooth so far. I'll see how it does on the track
Thanks ill dremel it down a little so I don't have to worry about it.
Originally Posted by MDawson
Hi Voltron

Good that you connected with Anthony.

In the testing and racing that I have done with Reedy & LRP motors (as well as ORCA) - I have not had an issue as you have reported including the VX and VXX series of ESCs.

Things to try
- ensure that your ESCs are updated with the most recent software build from ORCA
- calibrate your radio (I use KO as well) to a throttle high point of 100 for mod.
- try known mod esc profile from Andrew Hardman or Alexander Hagberg as a starter
- if the Reedy motor still exhibits some oddity; try replacing the sensor board and cable for the motor

The ORCA motor will surely be a good option. But there hasn't been any reason I have encountered that it didn't work with a Reedy motor as long as everything in the motor was is working condition.

Good luck.
Man I tried 2 different reedy motors. One was brand new and one was used also tried 2 new sensor wires. No matter what I did I just couldn't get it to smooth out off the low roll. At 0 degrees on the can it helped a lot but still wasn't near smooth. In stock mode there was no problem with the reedy
With the orca motor though it's really smooth.

I use the 4PKS-R and I tried calibrating it at 120,100 and 99 percent with no luck. Going to calibrate it one more time cuz I can't remember what was the last percentage I did it at. Should I do it with the throttle EPA at 120? Or 100?

The software is the V3.3 that it came with, I know a 4.0 just came out but after all this and having to by another motor I don't want to mess with it or buy anything for it lol maybe in a little while I'll grab a usb or hopefully a local guy has a usb that I can borrow

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully it doesn't give me any problems lol

Last edited by Voltron989; 04-17-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Keith Yu suggests to calibrate at 100 and then after the calibration is complete to bump it up to 120.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yea it feels really smooth so far. I'll see how it does on the track
Thanks ill dremel it down a little so I don't have to worry about it.

Man I tried 2 different reedy motors. One was brand new and one was used also tried 2 new sensor wires. No matter what I did I just couldn't get it to smooth out off the low roll. At 0 degrees on the can it helped a lot but still wasn't near smooth. In stock mode there was no problem with the reedy
With the orca motor though it's really smooth.

I use the 4PKS-R and I tried calibrating it at 120,100 and 99 percent with no luck. Going to calibrate it one more time cuz I can't remember what was the last percentage I did it at. Should I do it with the throttle EPA at 120? Or 100?

The software is the V3.3 that it came with, I know a 4.0 just came out but after all this and having to by another motor I don't want to mess with it or buy anything for it lol maybe in a little while I'll grab a usb or hopefully a local guy has a usb that I can borrow

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully it doesn't give me any problems lol
I am not as familiar with the 4PKS but start with 100.

One other thing to check - can you post what you are using for ESC settings? You may want to try a higher drive frequency with the Reedy to see if that helps.

I have had motors that cogged on initial throttle but was able to remedy those motors by increasing the drive frequency from 2k to 4k to 8k. Drive frequencies in the 2k range some times caused cogging with the addition of motor timing for some motors.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.