Wiki Posts
Search

ORCA Team - VRITRA VX COMPETITON ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
I am not as familiar with the 4PKS but start with 100.

One other thing to check - can you post what you are using for ESC settings? You may want to try a higher drive frequency with the Reedy to see if that helps.

I have had motors that cogged on initial throttle but was able to remedy those motors by increasing the drive frequency from 2k to 4k to 8k. Drive frequencies in the 2k range some times caused cogging with the addition of motor timing for some motors.

Good luck.
After going with the manuals suggested settings for 4.5T motors I tried the Hagberg Gran Carania set up.
Since it was coggin i tried different ESC setting to try and smooth it out like messing with punch and and drive Freq. I tried 2,4, and 8. Don't recall going any higher. I let Anthony know that I tried the orca motor and it was smooth but he never have me any advice on what to try to smooth out the reedy. Basically told me if u have any issues with the orca motor let me know.

You've ran modified with a reedy with no problems? 4.5T?
On blinky setup with the reedy everything was fine. Only when I add timing it becomes a issue. Curious if there isn't a problem when using a higher turn motor like a reedy 8.5,10.5,13.5 and so on.
I tried everything I can to get that damn motor to work lol

Another thing I noticed with the orca motor is the brakes don't seem nearly as strong as with my LRP-Reedy setup. I haven't tested the difference on the track but on the bench it is a very noticeable difference in brake strength.
Even with the Brake Freq at 1K it isn't nearly as strong
Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Smile

hey Leo, glad to see you saw the light and got an orca setup for Toledo, you will love it. I have some settings that will have your car fly out there. Hope to see you out there, and I hope I can get out there soon myself. Pm me w/ any questions about the orca stuff and I'll try to help. How did the indoor season go for you, I never saw ya? talk/see you soon, Bigz
Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bigz84
hey Leo, glad to see you saw the light and got an orca setup for Toledo, you will love it. I have some settings that will have your car fly out there. Hope to see you out there, and I hope I can get out there soon myself. Pm me w/ any questions about the orca stuff and I'll try to help. How did the indoor season go for you, I never saw ya? talk/see you soon, Bigz
What's up Todd!
Haha yea man figured if give the ORCA set up a shot. I like trying out new things
You told me to go with ORCA a long time ago lol
Thanks I appreciate the offer to help because I'll probably need it.
I really liked carpet a lot. Only went for 4-5 races though we kinda got sucked into off road once that new place RC clubhouse opened

Ill be down there for sure. Been looking forward to the on road season all winter.
Hope to see you come down and race. Hopefully some more Michigan guys decide to come down too. Should be a real fun season.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm using the older Sonic Reedy 5.0 with boost and an orca VXX and I haven't had any problems. I do agree the brakes are a little lacking. My VX on the other hand has great brakes for some reason, as good as LRP.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voltron989
After going with the manuals suggested settings for 4.5T motors I tried the Hagberg Gran Carania set up.
Since it was coggin i tried different ESC setting to try and smooth it out like messing with punch and and drive Freq. I tried 2,4, and 8. Don't recall going any higher. I let Anthony know that I tried the orca motor and it was smooth but he never have me any advice on what to try to smooth out the reedy. Basically told me if u have any issues with the orca motor let me know.

You've ran modified with a reedy with no problems? 4.5T?
On blinky setup with the reedy everything was fine. Only when I add timing it becomes a issue. Curious if there isn't a problem when using a higher turn motor like a reedy 8.5,10.5,13.5 and so on.
I tried everything I can to get that damn motor to work lol

Another thing I noticed with the orca motor is the brakes don't seem nearly as strong as with my LRP-Reedy setup. I haven't tested the difference on the track but on the bench it is a very noticeable difference in brake strength.
Even with the Brake Freq at 1K it isn't nearly as strong

Turn the initial brake up to make the brakes feel stronger. 10% is a big difference from 0%. Dont be afraid to try stuff. It all makes a difference.

EA
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

For those having brake issues. Have you upgrade your ESC firmware lately? 3.0 is lacking brake power, 3.3 is much better, and from what I've heard 4.0 (mod racing only at this time) is even better.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

4.0 brakes are better than the 3.3 for sure.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Turn the initial brake up to make the brakes feel stronger. 10% is a big difference from 0%. Dont be afraid to try stuff. It all makes a difference.

EA

Great suggestion. I probably wouldn't have thought to up the initial brake. I'm use to running brake min on all my cars at 0.
I'll start off at 0 and see how it feels. If needed I'll try going up with the initial brake.thanks!

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
For those having brake issues. Have you upgrade your ESC firmware lately? 3.0 is lacking brake power, 3.3 is much better, and from what I've heard 4.0 (mod racing only at this time) is even better.
I'm running 3.3 that it came with. Maybe I'll look into getting the usb so I could upgrade to the 4.0.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Orca ti motor

Hi, when is the orca ti motor going to be JMRCA approved?
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
Keith Yu suggests to calibrate at 100 and then after the calibration is complete to bump it up to 120.
calibrate to 100epa and after that calibrate to 120epa? is this for mod only or stock (blinky)? sorry i'm kinda new for this.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bornox
calibrate to 100epa and after that calibrate to 120epa? is this for mod only or stock (blinky)? sorry i'm kinda new for this.
No, just calibrate it at 100. Then turn it up to 120 and run it that way. I would think its more suited for blinky. This is how I run my blink car, and I run my mod car at 100. I think 120 is too much instant power for mod. Its almost like an extra punch setting for blink classes.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerz616
No, just calibrate it at 100. Then turn it up to 120 and run it that way. I would think its more suited for blinky. This is how I run my blink car, and I run my mod car at 100. I think 120 is too much instant power for mod. Its almost like an extra punch setting for blink classes.
thanks! i'll try that.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Has anyone updated to 4.0 on their VXX? I updated, but want to go back to 3.3 and its not on the orca website to download. So i can't go back to it. If anyone has the 3.3 file could they send it to me.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jerz616
Has anyone updated to 4.0 on their VXX? I updated, but want to go back to 3.3 and its not on the orca website to download. So i can't go back to it. If anyone has the 3.3 file could they send it to me.
Its on the AME website here

http://team-ame.com/ame/downloads/
Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

can the older VX use 4.0 firmware ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.