R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #811
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 318
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
I am not as familiar with the 4PKS but start with 100.

One other thing to check - can you post what you are using for ESC settings? You may want to try a higher drive frequency with the Reedy to see if that helps.

I have had motors that cogged on initial throttle but was able to remedy those motors by increasing the drive frequency from 2k to 4k to 8k. Drive frequencies in the 2k range some times caused cogging with the addition of motor timing for some motors.

Good luck.
After going with the manuals suggested settings for 4.5T motors I tried the Hagberg Gran Carania set up.
Since it was coggin i tried different ESC setting to try and smooth it out like messing with punch and and drive Freq. I tried 2,4, and 8. Don't recall going any higher. I let Anthony know that I tried the orca motor and it was smooth but he never have me any advice on what to try to smooth out the reedy. Basically told me if u have any issues with the orca motor let me know.

You've ran modified with a reedy with no problems? 4.5T?
On blinky setup with the reedy everything was fine. Only when I add timing it becomes a issue. Curious if there isn't a problem when using a higher turn motor like a reedy 8.5,10.5,13.5 and so on.
I tried everything I can to get that damn motor to work lol

Another thing I noticed with the orca motor is the brakes don't seem nearly as strong as with my LRP-Reedy setup. I haven't tested the difference on the track but on the bench it is a very noticeable difference in brake strength.
Even with the Brake Freq at 1K it isn't nearly as strong
__________________
XRAY T4 14 - Orca - Futaba
Serpent 811 Cobra GT-E - Tekin - Hitec
Serpent 811 BE 2.0 - Tekin - Hitec
Voltron989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #812
Tech Fanatic
 
Bigz84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Smile

hey Leo, glad to see you saw the light and got an orca setup for Toledo, you will love it. I have some settings that will have your car fly out there. Hope to see you out there, and I hope I can get out there soon myself. Pm me w/ any questions about the orca stuff and I'll try to help. How did the indoor season go for you, I never saw ya? talk/see you soon, Bigz
__________________
Airtronics/Sawna : EA Motorsports : Orca : Reflex Racing/RSD : Wild Turbo Fans : RCAmerica : Hudy : Xray : Diggity Designs : Team Scream Racing
Bigz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #813
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 318
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigz84 View Post
hey Leo, glad to see you saw the light and got an orca setup for Toledo, you will love it. I have some settings that will have your car fly out there. Hope to see you out there, and I hope I can get out there soon myself. Pm me w/ any questions about the orca stuff and I'll try to help. How did the indoor season go for you, I never saw ya? talk/see you soon, Bigz
What's up Todd!
Haha yea man figured if give the ORCA set up a shot. I like trying out new things
You told me to go with ORCA a long time ago lol
Thanks I appreciate the offer to help because I'll probably need it.
I really liked carpet a lot. Only went for 4-5 races though we kinda got sucked into off road once that new place RC clubhouse opened

Ill be down there for sure. Been looking forward to the on road season all winter.
Hope to see you come down and race. Hopefully some more Michigan guys decide to come down too. Should be a real fun season.
__________________
XRAY T4 14 - Orca - Futaba
Serpent 811 Cobra GT-E - Tekin - Hitec
Serpent 811 BE 2.0 - Tekin - Hitec
Voltron989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #814
Tech Elite
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo
Default

I'm using the older Sonic Reedy 5.0 with boost and an orca VXX and I haven't had any problems. I do agree the brakes are a little lacking. My VX on the other hand has great brakes for some reason, as good as LRP.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #815
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,116
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron989 View Post
After going with the manuals suggested settings for 4.5T motors I tried the Hagberg Gran Carania set up.
Since it was coggin i tried different ESC setting to try and smooth it out like messing with punch and and drive Freq. I tried 2,4, and 8. Don't recall going any higher. I let Anthony know that I tried the orca motor and it was smooth but he never have me any advice on what to try to smooth out the reedy. Basically told me if u have any issues with the orca motor let me know.

You've ran modified with a reedy with no problems? 4.5T?
On blinky setup with the reedy everything was fine. Only when I add timing it becomes a issue. Curious if there isn't a problem when using a higher turn motor like a reedy 8.5,10.5,13.5 and so on.
I tried everything I can to get that damn motor to work lol

Another thing I noticed with the orca motor is the brakes don't seem nearly as strong as with my LRP-Reedy setup. I haven't tested the difference on the track but on the bench it is a very noticeable difference in brake strength.
Even with the Brake Freq at 1K it isn't nearly as strong

Turn the initial brake up to make the brakes feel stronger. 10% is a big difference from 0%. Dont be afraid to try stuff. It all makes a difference.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | Apex RC | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #816
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,136
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

For those having brake issues. Have you upgrade your ESC firmware lately? 3.0 is lacking brake power, 3.3 is much better, and from what I've heard 4.0 (mod racing only at this time) is even better.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #817
Tech Elite
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

4.0 brakes are better than the 3.3 for sure.
__________________
Xray - ORCA - Avid RC - MaxFX Paint
TriCitiesRC.com
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #818
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 318
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Turn the initial brake up to make the brakes feel stronger. 10% is a big difference from 0%. Dont be afraid to try stuff. It all makes a difference.

EA

Great suggestion. I probably wouldn't have thought to up the initial brake. I'm use to running brake min on all my cars at 0.
I'll start off at 0 and see how it feels. If needed I'll try going up with the initial brake.thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
For those having brake issues. Have you upgrade your ESC firmware lately? 3.0 is lacking brake power, 3.3 is much better, and from what I've heard 4.0 (mod racing only at this time) is even better.
I'm running 3.3 that it came with. Maybe I'll look into getting the usb so I could upgrade to the 4.0.
__________________
XRAY T4 14 - Orca - Futaba
Serpent 811 Cobra GT-E - Tekin - Hitec
Serpent 811 BE 2.0 - Tekin - Hitec
Voltron989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #819
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 184
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Orca ti motor

Hi, when is the orca ti motor going to be JMRCA approved?
thesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #820
Tech Addict
 
bornox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 581
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Keith Yu suggests to calibrate at 100 and then after the calibration is complete to bump it up to 120.
calibrate to 100epa and after that calibrate to 120epa? is this for mod only or stock (blinky)? sorry i'm kinda new for this.
bornox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #821
Tech Master
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornox View Post
calibrate to 100epa and after that calibrate to 120epa? is this for mod only or stock (blinky)? sorry i'm kinda new for this.
No, just calibrate it at 100. Then turn it up to 120 and run it that way. I would think its more suited for blinky. This is how I run my blink car, and I run my mod car at 100. I think 120 is too much instant power for mod. Its almost like an extra punch setting for blink classes.
__________________
Ryan Gracey

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #822
Tech Addict
 
bornox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 581
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
No, just calibrate it at 100. Then turn it up to 120 and run it that way. I would think its more suited for blinky. This is how I run my blink car, and I run my mod car at 100. I think 120 is too much instant power for mod. Its almost like an extra punch setting for blink classes.
thanks! i'll try that.
bornox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #823
Tech Master
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone updated to 4.0 on their VXX? I updated, but want to go back to 3.3 and its not on the orca website to download. So i can't go back to it. If anyone has the 3.3 file could they send it to me.
__________________
Ryan Gracey

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #824
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
Has anyone updated to 4.0 on their VXX? I updated, but want to go back to 3.3 and its not on the orca website to download. So i can't go back to it. If anyone has the 3.3 file could they send it to me.
Its on the AME website here

http://team-ame.com/ame/downloads/
Bryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #825
Tech Fanatic
 
alcyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: kuala lumpur,malaysia
Posts: 952
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

can the older VX use 4.0 firmware ?
__________________
http://kawada-alcyon.blogspot.com/
http://superturbooptimamidspecialzx-5.blogspot.com/
kawada sv10 alcyon 3-sanwa mx3x-orca vx v4.1 software-team powers 13.5 motor-turnigy 4200 shorty lipo-savox 1251 servo RIDE RE32
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net