R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #751
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
Then there are 2 versions out there. My USB-adapter only has a servo-cable hardwired to it. No adapters or plugs for sensorwire whatsoever.

Yours is from the original ORCA speedo. They do not make that type of connection any longer and havent for a couple of years due to Castle having the patent on being able to communicate with a speedo through the RX connection. Its why most other companies have moved away from that as well.

The new speedo's were not meant to program that way so you could still possibly encounter problems with some programs/updates using the old USB adapter.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #752
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually these are all brand new (bought within the last 2 months). The hobbyshop didn't even have them in stock, had to wait for them to get a new shipment from ORCA (and all the parts numbers are the very same as on ORCAs website)... sounds a little strange.

Just to verify: which one is old, you say? The USB adapter or the program card? The card was in stock at the hobbyhsop, but had v3.3 already installed, so that one should not be old... and I had to wait for the USB adapter since they had to order that and wait for a shipment.
DirkW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #753
Tech Initiate

I have the same as DirkW and it is also brand new, and back ordered. Can I just make one of the sensor type cables? Or is the USB adapter no good either?

If I can make one, kindly tell me which wire should go to which plug.
PEEKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #754
Tech Initiate

Sorry, just to add to the confusion, should I be changing the settings through the sensor port also? Or just software updates?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #755
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here is the setup for how I updated my ORCA VX-1 ESC from 3.0 to 3.3 firmware.

Connectors were not compatible per what I received; so, I installed 3 each 1/2" pieces of a paperclip to join the two female connectors.

What is up with that? But, no problem with doing the upgrade after making this modification.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
ORCA Team - VRITRA VX COMPETITON ESC-orca-001.jpg  

Last edited by Still Bill; 04-02-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #756
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post

Connectors were not compatible per what I received; so, I installed 3 each 1/2" pieces of a paperclip to join the two female connectors.

What is up with that? But, no problem with doing the upgrade after making this modification.

Bill
What the...Bill not using Tekin...What has this world come too.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #757
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
What the...Bill not using Tekin...What has this world come too.
If Tekin had come up with a 1S ESC, they might have kept my business...

Tekin was my choice for non-blinky for a long time; but, that is ancient history.

Bill
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #758
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Dirk. Your USB is the old one. Not sure where your supplier is getting them as those have not been made in a long time to my knowledge. The new ones program through the sensor port of the speedo. Simply plug a sensor wire up into the speedo and then the USB adapter. Good to go from there on the new style.

For adjusting settings that is done through the rx connector using the rx connector that plugs directly into the program box.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #759
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Dirk. Your USB is the old one. Not sure where your supplier is getting them as those have not been made in a long time to my knowledge. The new ones program through the sensor port of the speedo. Simply plug a sensor wire up into the speedo and then the USB adapter. Good to go from there on the new style.

For adjusting settings that is done through the rx connector using the rx connector that plugs directly into the program box.
A quick research on google and find multiple place selling different USB link number ...

OUU8063A (this is what I got last year and use since ... the usb link is with the sensor connector)
OUL3680E (is what my friend got, wrong type ...)

Last edited by Penz316; 04-15-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Penz316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #760
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
If Tekin had come up with a 1S ESC, they might have kept my business...

Tekin was my choice for non-blinky for a long time; but, that is ancient history.

Bill
I hear ya!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #761
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

But the only one shown on ORCA's website (http://www.orcarc.com) is the one I have as well: OUL3680E

Why is there no official information available for a another version anywhere? (Ok... "good product information" and "ORCA" are not necessarily words/phrases that belong in the same sentence... but that bad?)

If mine really is a wrong or outdated type, then I'm more than a little disappointed with ORCA and their information policy for us customers...

Are you sure that the sensor cable solution wasn't maybe just for legal reasons in the US or any such thing (you mentioned a Castle patent)?

If you really risk damaging your equipment by only using all original ORCA items for their intended use... items that went through the official distributor, and are still the only ones they advertise on their own website... than really something is wrong, wouldn't you agree?
DirkW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #762
Tech Initiate

I think probably it is a legal thing, especially since the product number for the sensor one ends in A (America) and the other in E (Europe), and since Dirk is in Germany and mine came from Australia it seems likely. We need to find some other non-American ones to see.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #763
Tech Regular

Quote:

Bill
I see that you got the USB cable with the Sensor plug, you should be able to connect that to the sensor port on the VX-1 for the update no?
stikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #764
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikman View Post
I see that you got the USB cable with the Sensor plug, you should be able to connect that to the sensor port on the VX-1 for the update no?
Yes, after reading all of the above, I believe you are correct. But, my method apparently worked too. Many thanks.

Would be great if everything was documented better; but, I do find the ORCA 1S ESC to be a good solution for both 1/12th and WGT racing.

Many thanks to EA for his understandable words about ORCA products. It's complicated!

Headed the Carpet Regionals at TQ Racing in SoCal in the morning. Too late to try an ORCA motor to replace my D3.5s. <sniff>

Bill
Old 04-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #765
Tech Initiate

I emailed the hobby shop that sells the rx connector style USB adapter that Dirk and I have, and this is the reply.

"You only need to update the firmware from the PC via the USB cable connecting to the program card. Once you updated the firmware on the program card. You can connect the program card to the ESC via the RX plug."