R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 12-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #646
Tech Addict

So has anyone does a comparison with this esc and others like the tekin hobby wing novak etc
rc car guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #647
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc car guy View Post
So has anyone does a comparison with this esc and others like the tekin hobby wing novak etc
I started with Tekin a few years ago and really liked them. They just felt like an on/off switch to me though. I switched all my esc's (4) to Orion and really liked the better throttle control. They just felt so much smoother and my lap times improved so much more. I just felt like trying something different so I tried the ORCA VX and at first it felt slower. I was going to just go back to my Orion's but gave the VX a few more weeks. I started looking at lap times and they were actually better. I think they have an even smoother feel and control then the Orion's. So I sold the Orion's and switched all to the ORCA. I haven't tried the hobbywing aside of the justock but I didn't like that one at all.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #648
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
I started with Tekin a few years ago and really liked them. They just felt like an on/off switch to me though. I switched all my esc's (4) to Orion and really liked the better throttle control. They just felt so much smoother and my lap times improved so much more. I just felt like trying something different so I tried the ORCA VX and at first it felt slower. I was going to just go back to my Orion's but gave the VX a few more weeks. I started looking at lap times and they were actually better. I think they have an even smoother feel and control then the Orion's. So I sold the Orion's and switched all to the ORCA. I haven't tried the hobbywing aside of the justock but I didn't like that one at all.
Hm well maybe a guy around the track has one I can try in comparison currently I am .1 fastet than the othet guys with the new cars and the orca speedos im talking top 20 not jusy fast lap
Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #649
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
Hm well maybe a guy around the track has one I can try in comparison currently I am .1 fastet than the othet guys with the new cars and the orca speedos im talking top 20 not jusy fast lap
Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #650
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Can I run vx in single cell mode with booster or Rx pack?
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #651
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Can I run vx in single cell mode with booster or Rx pack?
Yes you can. But you MUST pull the red wire out of the receiver plug to do this so it doesnt over load the BEC. And in order to make adjustments with the program card you have to plug it back up so it will power up. Kind of a pain but it works.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #652
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Just got a VX1 and a VXX for 12th scale, 13.5T Blinky, and TC 17.5T Blinky, respectively. What would be a good starting point for the setting for these classes/esc's.

Thanks
SLOWINSLOWOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #653
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

sweet. thats why it didnt work when i tried it last time. hope i didnt mess up the esc but it wouldnt even power on when i tried to run it with booster single cell. seems to work normally in 2s since though.

i pulled it from my mod tc thinking id have to run it in touring stock this weekend but my tekin rs is definitely feeling slugish in stock 12th scale. if i can make it work, ill stick the orca in that as i dont think my hobbywing 3.1 1s is roar approved.
I have a real shitmix of escs atm. id like to consolidate next year perhaps. orca might win that as it seems to be the most trouble free esc aside from the tekin.
though my speed passion is pretty good. at leat in stock.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #654
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

hi all....been racing for way too many years lol......anyway i have tried almost every esc out there...

anyway i have been so impressed with my vx that i went out and got a vxx to replace it so that i can have the same type/kind of speedo for both my onroad and now offroad

the only car i dont use an orca in is the f1 as i needed something small with a surface mount capacitor so here is what im running

xray t4 17.5 boosted (will now be 13.5 blinky) went from vx to vxx
xray xb4 4wd 7.5 modified vx
f104 X1 21.5 blinky tekin rs pro...

as i use the ko kiy radio i have had a few problems with other esc's where it would not hold its neutral point which i thought was weird (even thought it could have been my transmitter)

anyway been running the orca for a while now and in conclusion unless something drastically changes, i will always use an orca esc as i find it not only easy to setup but very reliable and the footprint isnt half bad either and looks cool in orange

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #655
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade072 View Post

as i use the ko kiy radio i have had a few problems with other esc's where it would not hold its neutral point which i thought was weird (even thought it could have been my transmitter)
Blade, do you need to have the throttle at 90% before adjusting the esc? I remember if you had a KO you needed to do that. I have a KO Eurus not a kiy but they should be close in operating.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #656
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabroom View Post
Blade, do you need to have the throttle at 90% before adjusting the esc? I remember if you had a KO you needed to do that. I have a KO Eurus not a kiy but they should be close in operating.
hiya.....i set all my endpoints on the kiy to 100% when calibrating same as with the orca.....have never had a single issue since......only esc's ive had problems with where it would loose its nuetral point after a while are as follows

viper vtx10
hobbywing v3
tekin rs pro

so maybe your right in saying with the above esc's you might have to set to 90% during calibration......having said that if they are all the same why would the orca be any different??? hmmmmmm

anyway one very happy orca user

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #657
Tech Master

it does not appear to work in single cell mode. ive tried a booster a battery and wiring it up as said. esc turns on and blinks, will calibrate but wont run the motor.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #658
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does any one have a set up sheet for mod buggy. I can't seem to get my vxx out of blinky. and even though i took out all the boost it still has a ramping feel to it. I set my punch to 4 and pwm to the 4k setting and it doesn't feel nearly as fast as my orion does. I'm always super worried about over heating my gear so i haven't tried more punch or setting the pwm down to the 2k setting but i think i might need to tomorrow morning.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #659
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyRichards View Post
Does any one have a set up sheet for mod buggy. I can't seem to get my vxx out of blinky. and even though i took out all the boost it still has a ramping feel to it. I set my punch to 4 and pwm to the 4k setting and it doesn't feel nearly as fast as my orion does. I'm always super worried about over heating my gear so i haven't tried more punch or setting the pwm down to the 2k setting but i think i might need to tomorrow morning.

I run 2k and 6 punch with an 8.5. Speedo is setup in blinky geared at 23/76 on an rb6. Much different setup than I run in mod sedan.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #660
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
I run 2k and 6 punch with an 8.5. Speedo is setup in blinky geared at 23/76 on an rb6. Much different setup than I run in mod sedan.
Thanks, I'll start there. I just don't want to waste a brand new speed controller