Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Another MyLaps question: Why do retailers charge more than MyLaps does for the PT? >

Another MyLaps question: Why do retailers charge more than MyLaps does for the PT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another MyLaps question: Why do retailers charge more than MyLaps does for the PT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default Another MyLaps question: Why do retailers charge more than MyLaps does for the PT?

Ok so I was on the MyLaps site and they "only" charge $99.95 for a MyLaps RC4 PT when retail shops I have seen are charging $107.99 to $110.00.

Seems odd that retails are charging MORE than the mfg for an item.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

When you add shipping its the same $107
Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Maybe Mylaps doesn't offer the retailers a discount to sell their product. In other words, the price to the consumer and the retailer is the same.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
sac
Tech Regular

Grasschopper
Instead of busting the ball of a hobby shop for making a couple of dollars on a PT,why don't you ask Mylaps why they charge so much for a transponder.Hobby shops get NO more of a deal on transponders than the public does.So what you see on there website is also what hobby shop pays.
We all no they can lower the price and still make money on them .Just look at the price of some of the clone transponders.
Again instead of giving the hobby shop a hard time .i think racers should start show there frustrations with Mylaps for price gauging there customers .This also should include the lap counting systems them selves.$3300.00 for the decoder is ridiculous.

Sac
Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

you think our MyLaps PT's cost too much, be glad we don't run Karts, Bikes or full size cars, ever look at the cost of those PT's

If you have corner on the market, why change your pricing? Do I like paying $100 for a PT no but if I were them I would do the same thing.

That $50 SC body on the wall cost about $2 to make, less actually, should they lower the price on those as well?

way off topic but..$.02
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sac
Grasschopper
Instead of busting the ball of a hobby shop for making a couple of dollars on a PT,why don't you ask Mylaps why they charge so much for a transponder.Hobby shops get NO more of a deal on transponders than the public does.So what you see on there website is also what hobby shop pays.
We all no they can lower the price and still make money on them .Just look at the price of some of the clone transponders.
Again instead of giving the hobby shop a hard time .i think racers should start show there frustrations with Mylaps for price gauging there customers .This also should include the lap counting systems them selves.$3300.00 for the decoder is ridiculous.

Sac
Well that would be why I asked the question ....I had no clue that retailers selling them paid full price, my assumption was, like most everything a dealer sells, they are NOT paying full retail for it.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Was talking to my LHS. They only get a discount if they order 10 or more. and the discount is like 10 bucks(not 10 buck off each pt just 10 bucks). LHS make NO money on the PTs.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The real question is: why do people sell their used MyLaps for more than new?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by samnelso
The real question is: why do people sell their used MyLaps for more than new?
That happens? I've bought two now...each one for $80 shipped so I consider them good deals...both RC4 too...not older versions.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rawwolf
Was talking to my LHS. They only get a discount if they order 10 or more. and the discount is like 10 bucks(not 10 buck off each pt just 10 bucks). LHS make NO money on the PTs.
My buddy who runs a track got a deal on an order of 10, was about $10 off..on each one. Your LHS is either wrong, lying to you or got screwed...lol
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 AM
sac
Tech Regular

If a shop is lucky it may make $5 on a PT.
Racer1812 i don't know who your friend know's at Mylaps ,but i have a hard time believing he got $10 off each PT ,if did great . but i own a track and have been dealing with Mylaps for over two years now.They have never offered a discount like that to me or any other track owner i know.A 10pk of pts is not enough for them to offer that kind of discount.Also Mylaps shipping is outrages for what you order and that all has to be factored in on the price.The biggest order of Pts i have ordered was 18 at one time.They gave a me a extra dollar of on each one ,not ten.Shipping wipes out that discount .
sac
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Your 2 year timeline might be why. When he called them (this is a little over 3 years ago) they also gave him a deal to upgrade his whole system. IIRC he a had an old first gen system that couldn't use PT's. I could get the exact amount he paid if you really want but I think he paid under $3500 for the new system and 10 PT's. Don't quote me on that number but I do know he's a cheap mofo
Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM
sac
Tech Regular

racer1812
I believe PTS just three years ago were$85 through AMB/MYlaps,or even a little less than that.It just shows how quickly Mylaps has increased the cost of them.
At one time there was a Chinese company coming out with a Lap counting system that would use there own PT and Mylaps Pts.At a much lower cost for the system.I think a read a while back that the company said the were going to try to get the system out to market for around $1500 w/loop and maybe a track set of PT's.
I hope they still come out with it.

sac
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Been dealing with them about 14 years.... you get the occasional email/snail mail discount... but its not much.. and anybody can get it. Every once and a while they have free shipping....(on transponders only... add anything else and its full shipping price) I've never timed that right, its always been $20 shipping no matter how many or what I've ordered.

Done the bulk buy, paid shipping.... then they offer free shipping. Now I try to move them (with shipping) and everybody jumps all over ya... claiming they can do better... I might have made $.90 a PT if I was lucky.

One of the best deals they had was on the preorders of the rc4... Think they had 3, 6, 12pack buys.... 12 pack came to about $70 each... but you waited 6 - 9 month to get them
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

AMB/Mylaps has always raised prices. Heck, for our real race cars, they're $450 each.