Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 4pl

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Futaba 4pl

So today I'm linking up my Futaba 4 pl to a new r2104gf in my new sc truck. The tx and rx link up great and the steering servo snaps to attention. The CC mamba max and a reedy 4000kv motor all wired up and ready to go. Turn everything off and then follow the simple direction from CC to program the speed controller (as I've done before with other vehicles). This is where my day went into the crapper. I tried everything and checked every setting and still the speed controller won't program. TX is transmitting because the steering servo snaps left and right. It just seems that it won't talk to the speed controller. Hold the throttle, then the brake and back to neutral after turning on the speed controller and all I get is some beeping, flashing lights and then flashing red. Never had any problems like this before.

So I pulled the 1/8 buggy off the shelf which has been run many time and is already linked up using another r2104gf and turned it on (using the same transmitter as I have before) and now it won't run it's speed controller either (a mamba monster max). The steering servo worked fine but again no response from the speed controller other than the flashing red light.

So now I'm puzzled (pissed actually) as I've gone through every resetting of both the speed controllers and the TX but not getting any results.

What am I missing here guys. This seems way to complicated for what has always been a simple procedure. Is it possible the throttle part of the TX has gone bad?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

I just bound a new r2104gf to my 4pl. I didn't even have to recalibrate my MMP esc.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Do you have FH or SFH set correctly? It likely wouldn't work at all, but you should check. Batteries in radio ok? Throttle end points at 100%? Also try reversing throttle setting. I believe Castle uses reverse throttle with Futaba radios.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes, make sure the throttle is reversed for CC ESCs and the EPA is at 100%.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the helpful responses. Got home tonight and decided to go back to the drawing board and reset everything. Not sure where I went wrong yesterday but tonight I was able to get both vehicles running. Seemed to take longer to program the ESC than I remember but it finally took.

Now I can get down to the business of tuning and tweaking. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Good job!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well this seems to be the only 4pl thread going..

Well have this radio on the way. should be here in a couple day's(figures cross.) any hint or advise on setting up the radio.

and what everyones overall though on the radio is.

For me I have a m8 yes still on crystal. and can't wait.( actually have a DX-3r) it has a major clutch so it been in the box after 3 weeks of owning it. need to send it in.

Thanks and can't wait to hear your comments
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 AM

The radio is easy to set up and performs flawlessly. The FHSS system is fast and reliable. You gotta love the $40 antenna-less secondary receivers too

I wish it had a drop down wheel and was a touch heavier. With only 4 AA bateries, its very light. Thats a good thing I know, but I would like for it to be a bit heavier.

No set up secrets that I know of, it is full featured, easy to navigate and works well!

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
The radio is easy to set up and performs flawlessly. The FHSS system is fast and reliable. You gotta love the $40 antenna-less secondary receivers too

I wish it had a drop down wheel and was a touch heavier. With only 4 AA bateries, its very light. Thats a good thing I know, but I would like for it to be a bit heavier.

No set up secrets that I know of, it is full featured, easy to navigate and works well!

Good luck!
Agreed, about the only tip I'd suggest is if you're racing with multiple cars(multiple classes), you might practice switching between them on the Tx a few times before raceday. When I bought mine, it was because I had major issues with my old radio(a KO EX-10 Helios) while racing in the ROAR Indoor Carpet Nats, so I had very little time to switch back & forth. So when I got it(at the end of qualifying, & couldn't practice with it at the track, as it was closing for the night), I had to taker it & my cars to the hotel, install everything in my hotel room & trim the cars out in the hallway, & the one thing I had a little trouble doing at first was switching between cars on it. But with some practice that night doing it for a few minutes, it got a lot easier, & the next day I had it down pretty good, so I could focus on my racing. And on track, I got comfortable with almost immediately, only had a 2-minute practice with either car that morning & one main for each, & in both classes, I had my best runs of the event. And I've been running it ever since, VERY pleased with it. I think it's about the best value for the money you can get....
Old 07-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been using mine since the end ot the year and find that it is one of the most comfortable and easy to use radios on the market.

I'm not a big fan of the drop down wheel (I think Futaba did that to lure Airtronics M8 users over) and the weight is just fine, a little heavier than my DX3R Pro without the drop down. True you don't get all the button/rocker switch options as you do with the 4PKS but I never cared for those with my 3PKS.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deja Vu

Good luck!
Which rx's are you running that are antenna - less on the 4pl?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 PM

I use the R204GF-E. Its only $40 and is easy to fit in tiny places. I've used them both on road and off without issue.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the R2106GF, it has an antenna but it is only about 1/2" long and the price is $35 retail.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'll look into those others. Currently using 2104's and 2004's that I had from a 3pl.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

It looks like all of these receivers should work with the 4pl judging from this link...right?

http://www.futabarc.com/receivers/fh...ss-compat.html

Correct me if I’m wrong but all these should work: 8 choices ! 6with S-FHSS

R603GF R2004GF R203GF (3CH) R204GF—E (4CH) R2104GF (4CH) R2006GS (6CH) R2106GF (6CH) R2008SB (8CH)

So the question is what’s the best bang for the buck receiver?

The R203GF 39.99
R204GF (internal antenna does this limit the range?) for 39.99
The R2106GF for 34.99 which is supposedly for air but compatible with the 4PL?

You got to love 4PL, you aren’t forced to buy expensive receivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.