Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS Pro brownout issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tekin RS Pro brownout issues

Just built a Cat SX3 and transferred the RS Pro I had in a stadium truck to this vehicle. I run Hitec 7940s in all of my 1/10 vehicles with a Radiopost radio and havent had any issues until now. When I was dialing in the endpoints and trims, I noticed the light on my transponder was dimming while I was turning the wheels left to right. After doing a couple figure eights in the room checking things, the receiver lost signal and became unresponsive. If I power off and back on, everything powers back up.

My first thought was that perhaps the capacitor installed on the ESC had failed so I replaced it but that didnt correct the issue. I reflashed with 223 and reprogrammed the ESC but that didnt change anything either. If I give the car a bit of throttle and turn the wheels the motor RPM drops significantly and stutters a bit until I straighten the wheels. If I apply more throttle the condition will sometimes go away as well. This unit work fine in the stadium truck with the same combination of motor, servo, and receiver. I unplugged the transponder, no change. Tried different batteries, no change. Tried another servo, no change. I havent replaced the receiver yet but it seems to be working properly.

Any ideas on what may have happened? The ESC gets fairly warm just turning it on and giving some rapid steering inputs (~100 degrees). I dont know if this happened in the past or not as I never checked. Other than the brownouts, it seems to function normally. No fault lights and the sensor lights all indicate that they're working properly.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Just built a Cat SX3 and transferred the RS Pro I had in a stadium truck to this vehicle. I run Hitec 7940s in all of my 1/10 vehicles with a Radiopost radio and havent had any issues until now. When I was dialing in the endpoints and trims, I noticed the light on my transponder was dimming while I was turning the wheels left to right. After doing a couple figure eights in the room checking things, the receiver lost signal and became unresponsive. If I power off and back on, everything powers back up.

My first thought was that perhaps the capacitor installed on the ESC had failed so I replaced it but that didnt correct the issue. I reflashed with 223 and reprogrammed the ESC but that didnt change anything either. If I give the car a bit of throttle and turn the wheels the motor RPM drops significantly and stutters a bit until I straighten the wheels. If I apply more throttle the condition will sometimes go away as well. This unit work fine in the stadium truck with the same combination of motor, servo, and receiver. I unplugged the transponder, no change. Tried different batteries, no change. Tried another servo, no change. I havent replaced the receiver yet but it seems to be working properly.

Any ideas on what may have happened? The ESC gets fairly warm just turning it on and giving some rapid steering inputs (~100 degrees). I dont know if this happened in the past or not as I never checked. Other than the brownouts, it seems to function normally. No fault lights and the sensor lights all indicate that they're working properly.
Seems like theres a problem with the esc for sure, my rs doesnt even get warm while racing, let alone just doing a few figure 8's...Are all your solder joints solid on it?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Check your steering end points. If you are stalling the servo by trying to force the linkage past a steering stop it will draw excessive current possibley lowering the voltage thru the BEC in the ESC to where the receiver shuts off.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl

There is 1 way to test and that is to put it back in your stadium truck and see if you have any problems like you're experiencing now.

4x4 systems Can put an extra load on the rs pro esc I know the car you have falls under neath the recommended weight for the esc but in my experience with the rs pros they just do not get along well with 4x4 drive vehicles. there is fix I found to work that is putting a larger capacitor on the esc... I actually ran 2 capacitors on my rs pro a larger one on the esc and 1 off of the receiver. that was the only way I could get it to run efficiently without problems or glitching. that will also help with a heat issue to. The caps I run are a lot larger than the normal novak and racers edge that they sale at the stores, I custom make the caps I run and have just now started making them and selling them to others. also have you tried a different servo?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have you tried a voltage protector or any other sort of BEC into the receiver? My high voltage servo caused massive brownouts in my 22 that sound exaclty like you are experiencing. Especially when the the wheels were turned to their max limit. Just a thought.

Pay no mind to the dirt, still gotta tear it down from the trip to the track from earlier.
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS Pro brownout issues-photo.jpg