Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
IS MY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT STILL RELEVANT AND COMPETiTIVE? >

IS MY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT STILL RELEVANT AND COMPETiTIVE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IS MY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT STILL RELEVANT AND COMPETiTIVE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default IS MY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT STILL RELEVANT AND COMPETiTIVE?

Getting back into RC racing after a couple of years off. 1/8 Truggy mainly with some 1/8 buggy. All Nitro. When I left I was running the following gear. Can you all help me determine whether or not my electronic equipment will get the job done or if I need to fully upgrade it all. Thanks in advance.
RADIO: Spektrum DX3.0 (I know this is obsolete.) Probably getting a DX3R but I am open to opinions and suggestions.
SERVOS: JRZ9100T, and the JR9100S. Both worked flawlessly but I am not sure if they are what I should be running now or if they are obsolete and I need to upgrade them as well.
BATTERIES: I was running NIMH packs for my in car and radio electronics. I would go to the track with a few fully charged 1600 nigh packs every day. It worked great for then but Is that still a good way to go or completely obsolete now? I know there is the world of Lipo out there but I don't even know where to start with Lipo technology (rx packs/tx packs/chargers/safety concerns) and/or what the investment into LIPO would look like.
Thank you all very much for the help and advice. Cant wait to get racing again!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM
jf+
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattyb13
Getting back into RC racing after a couple of years off. 1/8 Truggy mainly with some 1/8 buggy. All Nitro. When I left I was running the following gear. Can you all help me determine whether or not my electronic equipment will get the job done or if I need to fully upgrade it all. Thanks in advance.
RADIO: Spektrum DX3.0 (I know this is obsolete.) Probably getting a DX3R but I am open to opinions and suggestions.
SERVOS: JRZ9100T, and the JR9100S. Both worked flawlessly but I am not sure if they are what I should be running now or if they are obsolete and I need to upgrade them as well.
BATTERIES: I was running NIMH packs for my in car and radio electronics. I would go to the track with a few fully charged 1600 nigh packs every day. It worked great for then but Is that still a good way to go or completely obsolete now? I know there is the world of Lipo out there but I don't even know where to start with Lipo technology (rx packs/tx packs/chargers/safety concerns) and/or what the investment into LIPO would look like.
Thank you all very much for the help and advice. Cant wait to get racing again!
None of that is obsolete... but get Lipos. You can buy a charger and battery for under $100, and drive for 25-30 minutes, or much more, with no issues. There are a lot of posts about lipos on Rctech, just do a couple searches. If used wisely, they are perfectly safe.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

He's talking about receiver packs for his nitro truggy.

OP, you'll be fine with what you've got the servos are still good. A lipo receiver pack with a lipo regulator would be an upgrade but not really needed, IMO. Lipo receiver packs with high voltage servos (no regulator needed) are the hot setup now but IMO aren't a must have.