Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
2S Lipo +1S Lipo, how do I balance them? >

2S Lipo +1S Lipo, how do I balance them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2S Lipo +1S Lipo, how do I balance them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 2S Lipo +1S Lipo, how do I balance them?

I’m in the market for a Traxxas Rally VXL. I plan to run 3S. I’m not too fond of the size and geometry of the two battery compartments. Single 3S packs much over 1500mah are a tight squeeze. I’m thinking about putting a 2S on one side and a single cell on the other side. The question is, how would I need to hook things up to balance charge this split 3S pack?

Last edited by metoo; 06-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Parallel 3s 1800 mah sized packs fit fine with some trimming of the battery compartment doors to allow the larger wires to exit

Try Hobbyking Zippy Flightmax 1800mah 20c

Cheers
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metoo
I’m in the market for a Traxxas Rally VXL. I plan to run 3S. I’m not too fond of the size and geometry of the two battery compartments. Single 3S packs much over 1500mah are a tight squeeze. I’m thinking about putting a 2S on one side and a single cell on the other side. The question is, how would I need to hook things up to balance this split 3S pack?
Are you referring to charging or running them?

Charging would require a 3s balance lead and some funky wiring to charge them all at once. The easier way would be charging them as 2s and 1s separately. The best option being to use an actual 3s battery like crusey_aus recommended.

Running would only require you to hook them up in series. They will discharge together assuming they are like cells.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
Are you referring to charging or running them?

Charging would require a 3s balance lead and some funky wiring to charge them all at once. The easier way would be charging them as 2s and 1s separately. The best option being to use an actual 3s battery like crusey_aus recommended.

Running would only require you to hook them up in series. They will discharge together assuming they are like cells.

I'm talking about charging [first post edited to clear that up]. I guess I'll have to look up "wiringing of lipos" to see what to do with that balance lead.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

First allow a word of caution whenever running lipos in series. Ideally they should be as closely matched as possible, including age and cycle history. Otherwise the Low Voltage Cutoff likely won’t trip in sufficient time to prevent the smaller actual capacity lipo from being over discharged. Alternative is to be very careful with run time and determining that by diligent checking of individual cell voltages. After stopping each cell should be at least 3.6V, 3.7V or so is better, for good lipo life. (after stopping the voltage will recover some from the commonly discussed 3.0~3.2V per cell cutoff voltages while running, under load)

Now to answer your question, the Script Asylum site should help, take a look at how the balancer wires up in various situations. The first section can show the balancer connections, just without breaking up the cells into 2 packs. Perhaps check the bottom section too, doesn’t show a 1S + 2S but play around with the drop downs and you should be able to see the pattern.

Script Asylum Lipo Wiring