Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discharge lipo using nimh discharge mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default Discharge lipo using nimh discharge mode

Can anyone tell me if there are safety concerns with discharging a lipo (to 3v per cell) using a nimh discharger?
I bought some used lipos, and the guy suggested they be cycled. His usual method was to charge them to peak, and then discharge them at 20amps using a LRP Touch. He would then put a storage charge into them.
My problem is, the only lipo discharger I have is a Pulsar3 which only has a 10 amp discharge. I can use it, but it would take a while to discharge at 10 amps.
I have a CE Turbo35, which has an adjustable discharge point. It has not been updated for lipo usage, so I know I can't use it for charging... but I'm wondering if the discharge mode would harm the lipo.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

You can discharge any way you want, just dont get the voltage too low. Charging them up in nimh mode is a different story...
Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Fella who suggested cycling them would help is misinformed, all you are doing is wasting cycles

No reason to be taking them that low

Cheers
Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Occasional discharge does help.. Use a watt meter, and see. Numbers dont lie..
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Cycling a lipo that has been stored for a while can regain some performance, as long term storage does seem to make them a little flat. A practice run or two seems to do the trick.

But in normal use much of the observed gains are due to heating the lipo up with a discharge to a low level at a decent amp rate. Much the same performance gain can be achieved simply by heating the lipo up without the cycling (heating is not recommended for safety reasons of course, and it is teched at ROAR events for those who care).

This has come up in many threads in many forums. The SMC thread in the on road section here is one example, they were convinced they were getting better performance despite the objections of others. For a while many here were repeating that. When they finally tried the heating test, they achieved essentially the same performance, and ceased recommending the heavy cycling.

I suspect most get at least an occasional deep cycle during practice, so probably a moot point.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the replies.