Search

Why is Maxamps so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer
A reminder,

The traditional RC companies like Thunder Power, Max Amps, Reedy, Venom, etc.... their prices may seem high, and yes they are. There is a reason.

While it may seem like these companies are getting rich, hand over fist, for the bulk of their sales, they arent making much more than places like Hobby Partz, Hobby King, etc...

They have their pricing structure built such that they have three tiered pricing level.

1) Distributor
2) Dealer
3) Consumer (MAP/Retail)

The bulk of these companies sales will go to a distributor, so the price they sell is greatly reduced. The small percentage of sales via direct to consumer sales (Retail) while the greatest profit, is also the smallest percentage.

So when you think those companies are laughing all the way to the bank, they're not.

Places like HK, HP, etc... are selling direct to the consumer. They do not sell to distributors, and any dealer discount is minimal.

Bitch all you want about the high prices from the traditional companies. Those are the facts. With those traditional companies you'll get a more consistent product and customer service.

Paul Susbauer
Product Manager
Venom Group International
Up until this post I had absolutely no issue with Venom. The packs seemed decent quality, the price was comparatively reasonable, they were Roar legal for the most part and they were reliable. Adding to the thread with a 'woe is me'' sob story is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. The average customer has a finite amount of money available for their hobby and is looking for the best bang for their buck. What goes on behind the scenes really isn't their concern.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnineyes
I can see the attraction. For the type like myself, who can and do win races with cheaper packs, the extra cost is just money down the drain, and at times, laughable. But if a Maxamps pack gives you peace of mind and makes you feel like you are doing better then it is worth every penny, regardless of any actual difference. Being comfortable with your equipment is a major part of being a better driver in my opinion. Thank goodness I am comfortable with the cheap stuff, but I cant hold it against anyone who is not.
I agree 100%. Just like anything, confidence goes a long way.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nexxus
If people have the money to blow on something because it's perceived value, let them. Hell some people buy Evian water for their dogs too, same thing in my book.

Bottom line is Maxamps is now a paid advertiser on rctech so naturally any anti Maxamps sentiment will be promptly removed to maintain cashflow and the status quo, that's been their business model for years, and I don't see it changing.
Don't be so quick to bash rctech.net, do a search, there are plenty of negative threads about maxamps on this forum, that have not been removed. My experience is that rctech tends to let people voice their opinions on products regardless of whether they are positive or negative, and more importantly, regarless of whether a company is an advertiser.

That said, don't get the idea that I am in ANY way defending Maxamps. I agree with most peoples' sentiments that they are way overpriced, and wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on any lipo pack. Furthermore, I find the tactics that Maxamps has used in past to "silence" their critics (see URC debacle) despicable.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Nexxus, I didn't read the post from the Venom rep. as "woe is me", more of an FYI because some people (seemingly including yourself) don't understand the costs involved for a US based company to get a product on the market vs. a Chinese distributor.

I've never seen Administration delete a thread because it wasn't favorable to a paid advertiser. I've never been asked to or seen another Mod. delete a thread for that reason either.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

I thought MA was mostly direct sales (no distributor etc)? Isn’t that why few hobby shops carry them?

Originally Posted by jnslprd
Because they are so good

Shouldn't be compared with Thunder Power.
Agree that is not a reasonable comparison at all. While TP is not perfect, and are also expensive, they do generally offer top level performance. Independent testing routinely indicates MA to have fairly mediocre, if that even, performance.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Huck50
I think Max Amps and Thunder Power can be compared to similar other items,for example: Would you pay $600.00 for a Dyson vacuum cleaner when a $75.00 Bissell will do the job,or how about using a $30.00 Snap On 1/2"-9/16" combination wrench when a $12.00 Craftsman will do the same thing...cars also,a $25,000 Malibu or a $90,000 starter Mercedes...both will get you there,it's how you wanna get there.
Maybe the only guys that can use those kind of batteries (MA and TP) are pro racers,who don't have to pay for non of their gear?!
I wonder how many first place guys were running Gens Ace or Turnigy batteries??,I bet, not many! Huck50
Kinda doesn't matter anymore when everything is made in the same factory. My Gen Ace 35c is more power then my 40c venoms. And all my Maxamps couldn't handle a 7700 but a 4200 matched nimh pack can. Look at the T4. The original T4 FT was 209 and came with all the carbon fiber yet the new T4.1 FT comes with composite and is 260.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have had and seen almost every brand blow up, burn up, run, charge, discharge....... And At least my batteries come from America..... I can call them on Monday, send em in on Tuesday, have em rewraped and checked and back in time for race on Saturday...... From Tennessee to Washington and back..... They speak English, and always happy to help..... You guys hate on prices, and hate on C ratings, but lifetime warranty, great Cust service, and in my opinion a great battery is worth it..... Go ahead and order your battery's from Japan and wait 2weeks to get em, and never a chance in heck to get good Cust service, but u got em at a great price....... Then every time someone ask about MA just always say something hatefull and jaded.... And just remember the best batteries r the ones u r running everyone else's just suck, u r the all knowing, and no one knows more than u.....
Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

LOL this thread is just too funny

So Maxamps cells dont come from somewhere in Asia ?

Cheers
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
LOL this thread is just too funny

So Maxamps cells dont come from somewhere in Asia ?

Cheers
I know I didn't want to start a debate I just wanted to know why they were so expensive!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by icucmerc
I have had and seen almost every brand blow up, burn up, run, charge, discharge....... And At least my batteries come from America..... I can call them on Monday, send em in on Tuesday, have em rewraped and checked and back in time for race on Saturday...... From Tennessee to Washington and back..... They speak English, and always happy to help..... You guys hate on prices, and hate on C ratings, but lifetime warranty, great Cust service, and in my opinion a great battery is worth it..... Go ahead and order your battery's from Japan and wait 2weeks to get em, and never a chance in heck to get good Cust service, but u got em at a great price....... Then every time someone ask about MA just always say something hatefull and jaded.... And just remember the best batteries r the ones u r running everyone else's just suck, u r the all knowing, and no one knows more than u.....

Are you not doing the same?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

To professional racers with money and sponsors where reliability and performance is crucial to keep their business going I'm sure it's worth it. But that is a niche market that probably caters to the tiniest fraction. For most people it just doesn't make sense when you can have 2-3 comparable batteries to run with and most of the time won't have a problem. For the price of the lifetime warranty replacement which isn't free you could buy one or two backups so you always have spares.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by groundpounder30
Don't be so quick to bash rctech.net, do a search, there are plenty of negative threads about maxamps on this forum, that have not been removed. My experience is that rctech tends to let people voice their opinions on products regardless of whether they are positive or negative, and more importantly, regarless of whether a company is an advertiser.

That said, don't get the idea that I am in ANY way defending Maxamps. I agree with most peoples' sentiments that they are way overpriced, and wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on any lipo pack. Furthermore, I find the tactics that Maxamps has used in past to "silence" their critics (see URC debacle) despicable.
Originally Posted by racer1812
Nexxus, I didn't read the post from the Venom rep. as "woe is me", more of an FYI because some people (seemingly including yourself) don't understand the costs involved for a US based company to get a product on the market vs. a Chinese distributor.

I've never seen Administration delete a thread because it wasn't favorable to a paid advertiser. I've never been asked to or seen another Mod. delete a thread for that reason either.

Please do understand, it was not meant to be a Woe-is me response.

I understand that things are expensive for those of us on finite budgets, and quite honestly, don't blame anyone who is going to buy the most in-expensive packs.

My post was to provide some insight as to why certain companies do seem very expensive, and the reasoning for it. This way you all understand that while it may seem like it, we're not laughing all the way to the bank.

I cannot speak for MA's specific pricing structure, but most of the US based companies operate in the one I described previously.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
You're just paying for the brand. I will never buy maxamps ever. Have always used turnigy lipos and will probably use nothing else except for maybe gens ace (they make a great battery). It's the exact same reason apple products are so expensive.
I have some ocean front property in Amarillo to sell you. Apple computers are not "so expensive" If you compare the specs of a Dell/Toshiba/Whomever's laptop to an Apple you will find the price difference a lot less than you precieve it to be. Last I saw was 10~15%.

Everything is based on consumer perspective. As far as lipos go unless you're fighting for .01 of a second or trying to break a speed record pretty much any good/decent lipo will do.

I will have to say though, my 150C 4S makes the wheels come off ground in my ebuggy compared to any other 4S I have... 300 cycles and 3 year warranty and great customer service.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Up until this post I had absolutely no issue with Venom. The packs seemed decent quality, the price was comparatively reasonable, they were Roar legal for the most part and they were reliable. Adding to the thread with a 'woe is me'' sob story is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. The average customer has a finite amount of money available for their hobby and is looking for the best bang for their buck. What goes on behind the scenes really isn't their concern.
Well here in the US we do care about what goes on and how economics work. But for the most part this world has turned into a bunch of sheeple and believe everything they see, hear and read.

When it comes down to it I'll take quality and service over quantity and price. The same reason I refuse to shop at walmart.