Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP X12L 4.5 issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default LRP X12L 4.5 issue

I have a new LRP x12L 4.5 on a SXX TC spec speed control and yesterday after about four minutes of running it slowed to a stop. The motor was very hot. I let it cool down and now it does not have any power. It will throttle up off the ground but as soon as I put the truck on the ground it starts to cog and gets hot fast. This setup is on a SC10 4x4 running a 12 pinion and a 62 spur. Did I fry the motor? I checked the sensor wire and it seems fine. Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

had the same thing happen with a stock spec lrp 17.5 in an sc10

did you advance the timing on the motor and or esc?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Rookie

No not at all. All was stock setup. It will run fine off the ground but as soon as it has a small load on it, it starts cogging and get real hot fast.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mpd405
No not at all. All was stock setup.
Stock ESC settings meaning default or stock ESC settings meaning blinky mode?

I used that motor for a while in my SCTE and you have to run the esc in blinky mode to make it not cog. If it still cogs after that, send it to AE to get a replacement, that's what happened with mine. But, either way, no boost at all on that motor, it hates it. If you don't have the v.2 version of the LRP, then you will always have some boost being applied as those don't have a true blinky mode.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Tech Rookie

It is the V2 version and was set to factory default which did have a boost set at three. I have already desoldered (not sure if i spelled that right) the wires and removed it from the truck. Do you think its worth it to solder them back or just send the motor back.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd try it in blinky mode at least before sending it in. My replacement cogs if boosted as well but works fine w/o boost. The LRP 550 motors just hate boost, even the smallest amount.