Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Hobbywing Xerun V3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Finally soldered up and plugged in my 120 v.3 to the program card last night. Come to find out I need to update the software? This normally would not be an issue, but I don't have a PC. What gives?

I bought the Hobbywing simply because I was tired of having to borrow or beg at the track for help setting up my Tekin RS Pro. Now I need to spend an additional $200+ on a small netbook or laptop.

If you guys have any workarounds, I'm all ears, but I really thought I could at least play around with the older software.

/end rant
Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Do you know anyone with a PC that can DL the software and update the box for you? If not, you can send it in to our shop and I will gladly update it for you. We are now authorized Hobbywing dealers at Reflex.

The software in the ESC is the newest, it is the program box that needs to be updated.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
Finally soldered up and plugged in my 120 v.3 to the program card last night. Come to find out I need to update the software? This normally would not be an issue, but I don't have a PC. What gives?

I bought the Hobbywing simply because I was tired of having to borrow or beg at the track for help setting up my Tekin RS Pro. Now I need to spend an additional $200+ on a small netbook or laptop.

If you guys have any workarounds, I'm all ears, but I really thought I could at least play around with the older software.

/end rant
Bring it to West Coast and either myself or Jason Dias will get you updated.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Do you know anyone with a PC that can DL the software and update the box for you? If not, you can send it in to our shop and I will gladly update it for you. We are now authorized Hobbywing dealers at Reflex.

The software in the ESC is the newest, it is the program box that needs to be updated.
Originally Posted by rocketron
Bring it to West Coast and either myself or Jason Dias will get you updated.
Ok, so the program box needs the update then.

Ron, I will stop by WCRC on Saturday, will look you or Jason up. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Weird thing happened...

Was out all day yesterday seting up for todays race. Car, motor & esc was fine. Kept everything and didn't touch anything.

This morning at the track, plugged battery in and switched on and all I had was steering. Motor was silent but ESC fan was running. The switch on ESC was blinking red and nothing was working. Couldn't even switch off ESC. Had to unplug battery. After trying with different sensor cables etc, nothing worked. Plugged in LCD program box, it was stuck at 'Connecting to ESC'. Again can't switch off without unplugging battery. That confirms that the ESC is no longer functioning.

Subsequently, I swapped ESC (Mamba Max Pro) which I took out from another car i was running. This time the motor turned, but was cogging badly. This led me to think that its an issue with the motor. So then I swapped the motor but it still cogged! WTF??...

To cut a long story short, after all the swapping around of motors/esc/receiver finally I've discovered this.....

The esc must have killed itself somehow and took the receivers throttle channel along with it!....

Its so weird. Nothing like this have ever happened to me in all my years in RC'ing. I don't know if the ESC can be fixed. Sending it back to where I bought it from soon. But even if its repairable, I don't think its going in any of my cars anymore. Will stick to my V2 for now.....
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 AM
TRG
Tech Initiate

Many have found the problem that the ESC will not turn off.

I have found that if you hit the throttle then brake.
Then the ESC will turn off.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRG
Many have found the problem that the ESC will not turn off.

I have found that if you hit the throttle then brake.
Then the ESC will turn off.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. However the issue I have is more than just not being able to switch off...
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

I sent my V3 to Angelo who turned it around real quick for me. I got the ESC installed now ready for this weekend.
Thanks Angelo, great service.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

can any body please explain the punch rate control and switch points how they work i cant find any info
cheers
Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Use the V3 in 1/12 with RX Pack.

Is it required to cut the positive wire of the esc receiver cable if i use a 2s Life RX Pack in my 1/12, or can i just connect them both to my receiver without any problem?
I can imagine that the 6.6V of the receiver pack interferes with the 3.7V output of the HW V3 BEC.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Magneto
Is it required to cut the positive wire of the esc receiver cable if i use a 2s Life RX Pack in my 1/12, or can i just connect them both to my receiver without any problem?
I can imagine that the 6.6V of the receiver pack interferes with the 3.7V output of the HW V3 BEC.
need to cut the positive wire of the rx when using a booster or battery
Old 10-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyanyde
Thanks. However the issue I have is more than just not being able to switch off...
ok the issue with the esc not turning off is because when the esc gets hot the characteristics of a particular component changes thus not being able to be turned off but when it cools it does turn off .

Now with the throttle and then brake yes it will turn of as that is a feature of the data recorder ,once you hold the brake on for more than 5 seconds the data is saved and then the esc turns off .

If you are experiencing the issue of not switching off via switch the esc must be returned back to the factory for repair
Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

My v3 can not turn off after setting parameter via laptop and usb link.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The esc will not turn off once you enable reverse. Normally you can hold the brade on your transmitter for 5 seconds and it will turn off. Once you enable reverse it wont. But you can turn it off by turning off your transmitter so the receiver loses connection then the power button on the esc works just fine.

Most of the issues you all have ive esperienced from losing power only having steering is usually because you need to recalibrate the throttle zero point. If I have 2 v2 hobbywing ecs and a v3. The v3 is top quality it just has some features that other esc dont use and its seems out of the norm.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

i tested the new ESC i got back its much better this time.
cooler temps, no shutdowns and great speed, just over 74k rpm recorded with FDR 8:1 so about 110km/h. it certainly looks incredibly quick
great speedie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.