Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping it clean... how do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Keeping it clean... how do you do it?

I'm just curious to see how everyone keeps their rides clean. I spend a lot of time tearing things apart and using soapy water most of the time. If I want to a bit of quick cleaning I will use some soapy water on the plastic bits and then a little alcohol on the parts with metal and/or electronics.

Just curious if their is a better way to do it. I don't expect to keep my off-roads spotless, but it's nice to show up with a cleaned up, newish looking bit of kit at the track.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Myself I use a air compressor and a set of good small brushes, I still will break mine down from time to time but if not I blow and brush it off, and use detail spray.... It's what car detailers use, it has Teflon in it and it makes everything look shiny and brand new....
Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

WD40 and compressed air works good for me . I use a microfiber detail cloth on the large areas and the compressed air on the tight areas. It also keeps all the suspension lubed and free and keeps the rust from forming on the metal parts especially if your track uses a lot of calcium.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

If you have a traxxas just hose the thing down was easy if you don't take it all the electronics then hose it but make sure you either wd40 or drive it on road I don't know bout this :/
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most of the time I use the COW RC products. they work great. other times i will use simple green. A tooth brush and a paint brush help also.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default fantastic or 409...

Fantastic and a air compressor for daily cleaning.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remove all electronics, douse it with simple green, hose it down, spray it off with a compressor then wipe down with denatured alcohol. Simple green by itself will remove all track dirt but I do not like the slick residue it leaves. If you try simple green you will never use anything again. It works awesome.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My cars/trucks get a pretty thorough cleaning after each race or practice. On my carbon fiber chassis, I use canned air, cleaning brushes, Simple Green and paper towels. I usually don't remove the electronics but am careful not to spray them with cleaner. On my composite truck chassis, I remove the electronics and hose it off with the sprayer in the kitchen sink I even use my daughter's blow dryer to dry it off lol. Once it's clean and dry, I back off the screws about half way, give 'em a quick squirt with WD-40 and tighten them back up. I then lightly mist the whole chassis with WD-40 and wipe dry with paper towels. On off-road tires, I tape over the inside vent holes and wash off most of the dirt with water. Once they're dry, I clean them with Simple Green then give them a coating of traction compound and bag 'em up for the next race.

With my electronics, I use a cheap, foaming window cleaner. I spray the cloth and lightly wipe down the radio, charger, etc.

Though most of my cars have a few scrapes, knicks and dents, upon first glance, they all look like new
Old 05-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I use Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner on plastic parts when disassembled, works great and they all look like new. I just spray it on, let it sit for a min, then quick brush with a toothbrush and a dunk in a water bucket. Works great on fresh rebuilt shocks to get all the shock fluid off the outside. Pretty sure back in the day I would spray it on all the arms and stuff at the track then just wipe off with a rag between rounds. Doesn't leave any residue either.

I can't stand using wd40, seems like no matter how much I blow it off afterwards there is still a dirt attracting residue.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

furniture duster and a compressor

Matt
Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I use Honda polish and a air compressor. Also makes bodies nice and shiny.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I take it all apart wash in sink with dawn dish washing liquid, air dry with compressor , then oil the barrings , take apart motor clean with tooth brush, oil then wipe off esc with wet rag, put back together for the next race. takes me a day. but I am anal, retired, and love my stuff to be clean.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

After each race I remove the body/wing, wheels, radio box, motor, and fuel tank. I spray them all down except the motor and radio box with a 50/50 water/concentrated Simple Green solution. Let it sit for a min and use a paint brush to get the hard to reach spots on the chassis and a wheel brush on the tires. Hose them all off. Repeat on the chassis if it's REAL dirty. Then I take the compressor to everything and let it sit to dry for a bit. I usually put the chassis on it's side and put a lil WD-40 in the wheel bearings and hit the center diff with air to spin the axles and work it in a bit. I also check them (bearings) for wear at this point. I spray my motor down with nitro spray, check the clutch bearings, and clean the filters with nitro fuel and let dry, re-oil, and replace. For the radio box I spray a rag with very little WD and wipe it down. Put it all back together and you have a brand new truck. Sometimes with the radio box still off I will give the whole chassis a misting of WD. Granted you need to re do your set up and EPA's each time but your trucks parts will last so much longer this way. Besides this and regular shock/diff oil changes, I rebuild completely about once a month.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

kalgard prep and shine, brushes, and an air compressor.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcheroke
kalgard prep and shine, brushes, and an air compressor.
+1

The only way to go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.