Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging question (need anwser asap)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Charging question (need anwser asap)

My charger says the voltage is to low when I try to charge it. What can I do.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R.Fenstermacher
My charger says the voltage is to low when I try to charge it. What can I do.
Lipo? Did you drain the battery to low? How old is the battery? There are some threads on this forum about bringing them back to life by charging them as nimh. But, I can't give you any instructions on how to do it since I've never had to do it before.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have another lipo that is up into the safe voltage you can start the charger on it and then unplug and plug the one thats too low into it. Some chargers will let you do that. Or you might be able to jump the charger by having it alligator clipped to the one you want to charge and one that is in the safe voltage. As soon as the charger is started unhook the extra battery and let it charge the one that is too low. Watch for puffing Charging a battery that got to low on voltage is one of the big things that will make it swell.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Note: Follow the steps below at your own risk. LiPos can be recovered this way, but it is not without risk. If you do not monitor the pack constantly and closely, you can burn your house down. Be warned...

Set the charger on NiMH at a low current. I would start at 1A or less. Start the charge and monitor the voltage closely. When you reach about 6.5V, stop the charger and reset the charger to LiPo and try the charge again. Repeat as needed in about 0.2V increments (6.7V, 6.9V). If after a couple of iterations of this process you cannot get the pack to charge on LiPo settings, I'd forget it.