Wiki Posts
Search

New cheap awesome 120 amp ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New cheap awesome 120 amp ESC

I have been running this 120 amp ESC from Brushless Hobbies, from what it looks like its not a hobby wing esc, even though you can use the software and programmer. It comes with a usb to hook it up to a pc and goes into the speedo.It does sensored and sensorless. The 120 amp version goes for $57 and the 80 version goes for $47. The owner Stan is a great guy for support, and will personally answer emails/phone calls.
heres the description right from the website

Delivery is expected around the 20th. Waiting list gets preference. These have a new design fan and sink. I'm still listening :-) Thanks again guys....Stan

120A Brushless ESC for Sensorless & Sensored Motors

Including direct-connect USB Flash/Programmer and software

Brushless Hobbies proudly introduces our newest ESC Products

No program card or program box needed, USB Flash/Programmer connects directly to your computer

You will receive Brushless Hobbies latest software which includes 6 different data bases you can flash to which enable different ESC capabilities. One data base is specifically designed to meet ROAR racing requirements, the other five...from mild to wild.

Suggested for us in 1/8 , 1/10 RC Trucks\Cars, wheelie bars optional.

The output, a motor melting continuous 120A, true 640 Burst for 10 seconds... a tweaker’s dream.

Compatible with all sensorless brushless motors and most sensored brushless motors.

BEC Output is 5.7V/3A linear mode with a bullet proof built-in BEC

Technical-What's inside: Why don't others list this?

Internal Resistance: 0.0006 Ohm
24 Toshiba (Japan) FETs rated @ 30V, ~0.006 (U-MOS VII-H) The very latest tech 8 pin FETS available featuring High-Speed switching
Small gate change: QSW = 14 nC (typ.) produces very low noise

The result? Excellent start-up, smoooth performance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Low drain-source on-resistance: RDS(ON) = 2.6 mΩ (typ.) (VGS = 4.5 V)
Low leakage current: IDSS = 10 μA (max) (VDS = 30 V) Enhancement mode;
Silicon Labs (Austin Texas) USB, 48 MIPS, 64 kB Flash, 10-Bit ADC, 32-Pin Mixed-Signal MCU (The ESC Brains)...it doesn't get any better than this !!!

Rounded out with a pair of Rubycon (Japan) 470uF 25v Capacitors

General Motor Recommendations

7.4V Lipo (4-6S NIMH)

On Road, Greater than 4.5T
Off Road, Greater than 6.5T

11.1V Lipo (7-8S NIMH) general motor recommendation

On Road, greater than 6.5T
Off Road, greater than 9.5T

Note: This is for reference only. Car type, stock Gearing, custom gearing, tire size are among many things that affect these recommendations. Refer to your car specifications and build carefully before ordering.

Physical Specifications (80A and 120A)

44mm 37mm 30mm (Cooling fan height included)
Weight: 72g (Cooling fan included)

Overall Features

Exotic, multiple capabilities. Settings include boost Timing and turbo timing functions. The included 508 Data base sets Blinky Mode, a must have at Track Events.

Automatically switches to sensorless mode when sensor cable is not used.

Turbo mode after initial roll out can be set to occur and adjustable by RPM level. In other words, the best of both worlds equal more power and speed. Delay and other truly advanced settings as well.

Software upgradable (flash able). All settings are adjustable through the included BH USB Flash/ Programmer which directly connects the ESC to your computer, no program card or program box needed. BH software program includes 6 BH ESC special tuned software data bases, 3 modes per data base. !2 setting in each of these for a mind bending 216 adjustable items not counting the levels per item. Confused yet :-)

Each ESC is personlly stress tested and set to a neutered software data base before shippin. Tune up from there in steps, not down.

Programming:

ESC is easily programmed by any of the following means (1) Set button on on\off switch (2) HW program card (3) HW 2 in 1 box (4) USB Flash/Programmer...the only way to go and right on your computer screen. The number of setting options presented adjusts to type of motor used and software data base selected.
Multiple protection features: Low voltage cut-off protection/ Over-heat protection/ Throttle signal loss protection/ Motor jammed protection.

Splash proof and dust proof

Extrene firmware and software upgrades and downgrades, using different motors automatically changes the level of adjustments available all while hooked directly to your computer for easy viewing. Available only from Brushless Hobbies !!!!

Box includes the following:

NOTE. If not specified otherwise when you order, the standard 4 inch leads will be sent. 6 inch is abailable at no extra charge upon request.

1 x 120A Sensored\Sensorless Brushless ESC
1 x USB Flash/Programmer
1 x sensor cable for sensored motors

Our latest Software Version and instructions are available via e-mail (Gmail will not take attachments) as well as FTP download.

Be first to repower with this amazing combo; and be first at the finish line.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.brushlesshobbies.com/
the website
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mojo_23
Wouldnt mind getting a cheap brushless sytem for my sons rustler. I may have to check it out.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Same guy from this thread?
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144784

Seems to be popular over there. I hope it gets just as popular here. For the price, you just cant beat them. I dont have one yet, but in my next car I will get the 120a one.

For anyone worried about the po box thing, the guy runs this out of his house, and probably doesnt want at this point, thousands of people knowing where he lives.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not the same guy, but yes its the same esc and company. I am actually an official team driver. Been using my esc for about a month, never had any kind of hiccups. Trust me when I tell you this is the esc to use, and this guy is the best to deal with in the buissness
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mojo_23
I'm not the same guy, but yes its the same esc and company. I am actually an official team driver. Been using my esc for about a month, never had any kind of hiccups. Trust me when I tell you this is the esc to use, and this guy is the best to deal with in the buissness
Yeah, everyone over on urc seems to love it. I wish I could still post there. Oh well, at least a thread made it over here! Hope to see them become popular over here! I might order one of the 80a ones if they are in stock in a couple months.

I will stick to my mamba max pro for now, but I am working on the mini revo. That might be due for a better esc. But then I couldnt run 14.4v. Oh well, I probably dont need a 1/16 ford raptor going 70+ mph down my street. But if this esc is more controllable than the stock traxxas one (by the looks of programming and stuff, it def is) I will probably go to it anyway, and run 3s. The traxxas one is not very smooth until you get up to speed. It pretty much has 3 settings.

low speed off
low speed on
high speed, linear.

So this would be a great, cheap upgrade for anyone with a power house traxxas 1/16 vehicle.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

i have the 80 amp in my abc genetic w/o a fan and it works great. runing a 17.5 lrp on 2s without timing and so far no problems. getting the manual and downloading the usb tuning software is a little more cumbersome but i think that will be improved with time.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

been running in my xxxsct
next step is 8th scale
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I'm looking at installing one in my SC10RS, should I consider the 80amp version instead? Planning to keep the stock 3300kv Reedy motor for now.

Last edited by thegame7; 04-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its a rebadged Hobbywing with some upgraded components that he gets custom built

Priced very well and apparently people love them

Cheers
Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Unfortunately not shipping international as yet so we can't get one direct from him. I sent an email asking as it looked like a good deal.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Tech Adept

if anything you have to look at it this way,its only $57 for the 120 amp, that will give you the most adaptability,and also you can always run the stock profile through the esc
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running one in my SC10. Works great and plenty of tuning options. From what I understand it is a Hobbywing ESC that has upgraded MOSFETs. The firmware is identical to the HW ESC. You really can't go wrong for the price.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Just ordered 2, seems like a great deal to me. Plan on running a tekin 9.5 and 10.5 on them