Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
AMB Transponder (AMBrc) CONVERSION instead of Repair >

AMB Transponder (AMBrc) CONVERSION instead of Repair

AMB Transponder (AMBrc) CONVERSION instead of Repair

Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Im currently replacing the batteries in the house transponders for our track and another local track. Its a simple but time consuming process. Also replacement batteries only cost $2. Here is a simple idea why not solder a set of wires to the charging post on the transponder and plug that in to the rx(the charging rack puts out 3.3 volts).No need to open anything up and if a wire breaks off it's a simple fix. This approach wont damage the transponder.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sludge-T: that MAY work if the battery cell is not too far gone.

I tried your concept (yes, that would be a LOT easier!) with a Transponder that has a REALLY dead cell, and it just couldn't hold a charge long enough for the Signalling Circuit to get running, where you see the green LED blinking.

Wow $2.... could you tell me where you're finding those? Hopefully the quality and mah capacity is decent
Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Manny I say keep repairing them just like you are. Most all tracks now if they have hand out transponder use the typical wired kind.. Cheaper and alot less hassle of worrying about a dead battery..

Let the trolls be trolls..
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcManny
Sludge-T: that MAY work if the battery cell is not too far gone.

I tried your concept (yes, that would be a LOT easier!) with a Transponder that has a REALLY dead cell, and it just couldn't hold a charge long enough for the Signalling Circuit to get running, where you see the green LED blinking.

Wow $2.... could you tell me where you're finding those? Hopefully the quality and mah capacity is decent
Its a direct replacement. The cell I pulled out was a 80mah 1.25v button cell. 80BVH NiMh is the info on the cell. I got replacements out of Canada spent $60 on 25 cells. Got some extra just in case I got a bad cell. They also sell that battery with a tab but it cost almost $5 per cell.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ScottyM
Manny I say keep repairing them just like you are. Most all tracks now if they have hand out transponder use the typical wired kind.. Cheaper and alot less hassle of worrying about a dead battery..

Let the trolls be trolls..
I talk about this approach with the owners at my track about hard wiring and just buying personal track pt's for racers to use and come to the conclusion its not cost effective( at least for us) and the risk is to high having inexperienced people breaking wires off while in a hurry. Not mention plugging in backwards and maybe bending rx pins while in a rush.

With that being said its really less of a hassle in the long run to have the tracks pt's batteries repaired. Once you get a rhtym going and take your time its actually easy. I can pull the cases off 10 pt's in 15mins. The very first time I did this i took my time and spend an hour working the case apart. Now I can do that in a minute. Maybe I'll put a quick video together
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Ya, a vid would be great... The top is not too hard to get off, but cleaning the RTV off and getting the battery out of that potting material takes a while....
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

In case you're interested:

http://abc123.dowco.com/~tom/rc/amb/index.html#1
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey smith9turbo - How do you Start the Transponders into the green Blink mode (regular running)?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcManny
Hey smith9turbo - How do you Start the Transponders into the green Blink mode (regular running)?
my modified with AMB20 ...
1.4VDC output of my little BEC connect to battery position, instead of real battery.
So, AMB20 unit see my little BEC as full battery.
AMB20 unit when don't have DC voltage charge at charge pin.
it will work on running mode, not charging mode.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Nice job with your BEC but now thats what I call a Little BEC.
It's 1/10 of the battery size.
Made by myself under microscope.

Battery replacement is still possible anytime but there's more advantage to use them wired in my opinion.
Take me less than 1 minute to open the case without damage.
2 minutes to remove the silicone and the battery.
4-5 minutes to assemble the BEC
2 minutes to seal and to close the thing.
0.50$ total part cost.

10 minutes and 2 quarters later, the job is done and can be reversed to battery in a minute or change wires easily and is short-circuit protected for newbproofing.

Just sharing...
I'm not doing it for money...or for free.
Please don't ask me to do it for you.
Attached Thumbnails AMB Transponder (AMBrc) CONVERSION instead of Repair-amb.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)

Anyone still doing this with older house transponders