Wiki Posts
Search

Hardcase lifepo4 battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hardcase lifepo4 battery ?

Ive been looking for a while for a lifepo4 with a hardcase and it seems that a company called maxamps was the only one around but the prices seemed just a tad steep at close to $300 for one 3s2p battery. Doing a little world searching turned up these http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-9v-LiFePO4...item336b9794e1
I said what the heck and ordered it. I was kind of nervous as this was my first battery other than nimh and nicads. After getting some deans plugs on it and strapping it in to my scrt10 I am very impressed on how it roasted the tires on blacktop with a good runtime. It got luke warm to the touch after running down . Quite a bit different than the nimh packs Im used to.
My questions are does anybody in the states make a hardcase lifepo4 similar to this? Does anybody have any long term testing of these? The tech was on vacation at vapextech so they couldnt tell me if it was some new cell or what . It doesnt seem to be round a123 cells due to the small packaging. Im guessing they are a flat or bag cell. Any info would be appreciated about these or equivalent sources.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Also it seems my local track rules doesnt allow a 3s lifepo4 because it would be about a volt above the rules. Seems like a huge disadvantage when a 2 cell at 6.6 volts has to compete against someone with an 8.4 volt battery .
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

I got to test out the lifepo4 in my scrt10 against 2 new slashes running gen ace 5000 3s lipo's. Even being down a volt it was no problem winning all the races . I we had to keep the throttles turned down to around 50 to 60 percent to keep the cars on the track. The 3800 easily ran 2 races and started losing power a couple minutes later. It quick charged up to 3400mah for the next race.
So far Im impresed . Ive got an a123 3s2p 4600mah pack coming so we shall see how it compares.