Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Motor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brushless Motor Questions

Hey guys. Im fairly new to brushless motors, and have a few questions about them...

What are poles on brushless motors (3 pole, 4 pole, etc.) and what is there purpose?

What is the difference between different poles such as 3 pole, 4 pole, and so on so forth?

Hopefully someone can explain it to me and give me advice. Thank you guys for taking the time.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Poles are the magnets in the rotor. 2 pole motor means 2 magnets,4 pole means 4 magnets. Obviously the more magnets the greater the magnetic pull/resistance when the rotor rotates inside the stator. 4 pole motors were basically designed for your 4x4 short course trucks so you don't have to use the large 550 size can which is heavier and designed for a 1/8th size vehicle. So you get 550 power in a 540 sized motor making them perfect for 1/10 4x4 sc. Most all other 1/10 size vehicles will use 540 size 2 pole motors. It's a brief explanation but it should help.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

elex300 pretty much gave it in a nutshell, but I will repeat with my two cents.

4-pole motors have a smooth powerband with high torque; they can pull heavy vehicles better, but may not be ideal for lightweight setups unless you have lots of room for gearing changes.

2-pole motors tend to rev higher and make lots of power at higher RPMs, but may limit your gearing if you have a heavy car.

In my opinion it doesnt make much difference for most cars. But certain vehicles are heavy or under a heavy load and only have so much room for a bigger motor. In this case a comparable 4-pole motor would run smoother, it would run cooler and it would increase gearing options.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elex300
Poles are the magnets in the rotor. 2 pole motor means 2 magnets,4 pole means 4 magnets. Obviously the more magnets the greater the magnetic pull/resistance when the rotor rotates inside the stator. 4 pole motors were basically designed for your 4x4 short course trucks so you don't have to use the large 550 size can which is heavier and designed for a 1/8th size vehicle. So you get 550 power in a 540 sized motor making them perfect for 1/10 4x4 sc. Most all other 1/10 size vehicles will use 540 size 2 pole motors. It's a brief explanation but it should help.
Wow I didnt know that. This whole time I was thinking I would have to get a 550 for my sc10 4x4 but now im going for a 4 pole motor. What 4 pole do you guys reccommend?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't have a lot of experience but I believe that the 4-pole motors are also inherently more efficient than the 2-pole units. Not exactly apples to apples, but I got about a 20% increase in runtime when I switched from the Traxxas Velineon motor to the Castle 1410 3800 (not to mention a LOT more power and less heat).

Check out that Castle; they're beastly. Get 'em off the 'Bay for $70 shipped. (I liked mine so much I bought a second.)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Somewhat a bit off subject, but to answer a question.

I would ask what you intend on doing with the vehicle first. By this I mean if you plan on racing, then check out your local track and see what classes they run. IE, if they only run 17.5T brushless classes, there would be no point in you buying a 13.5T or say a 5700Kv motor.

If you only plan on bashing or running around your house with friends or such, I'd say you cant go wrong with the Castle line of motors. I've loved everyone I've owned. I really only switched to Trinity motors because my local track runs a lot of 17.5T and some 13.5T, and with the Castle motors being rated in Kv, it was just easier to buy something that fit into the rules.