Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Input on charger choice before I pull trigger >

Input on charger choice before I pull trigger

Input on charger choice before I pull trigger

Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Input on charger choice before I pull trigger

I've searched a ton of this forum and read, and read, and read! And I still feel like I can't get the jist of more advanced charging. Apparently the Hyperion, Cellpro 8, and PL 8, and ichargers are the top recommendations for "top dog" chargers. Not sure that I need that though.

I do 1/10th scale buggy, mostly with Turnigy 2s 5200mah lipos. I bought an RC8Be 4wd buggy over the winter and plan to do 5000+ mah 4s lipos in that, probably Turnigy but maybe something higher end at some point. I had an Onyx 230 lipo charger which I sold to move up to something more advanced, plus the Onyx wouldn't do 4s.

I'm a basher at this point, but may try racing, but let's just assume that I don't need to charge a battery in 30 minutes between heats or charge 2 batteries at a time. But it's always nice to buy right and not need to upgrade later.

Given those requirements, someone tell me if I'm going the wrong way if I purchase an icharger 208B, actually I was going to get the combo here called "The Ticket".

http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html

I also want to make sure I get all the right cables I need for connecting the AC power supply to the charger itself, charge cables, and they sell some kind of pit box to hold the battery and charger safely, is it worth it?

Thanks, again, I didn't want to start another "help me pick a charger" thread, but this stuff is complex!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the charger will come with alligator clamps. if push comes to shove you can pick up some thicker bannana plugs at a local radio shack to put into the power supply. junsi make nice chargers.

the charger will come with js-txh charge board. if you use hyperion batts you might want to get the other board as well

800 pages to go through if you want to research them
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...39657&page=805

p.s. better to have enough now then to buy again later in case you say to yourself "i wish i had more oomph in my charger"
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by flipwils11
I've searched a ton of this forum and read, and read, and read! And I still feel like I can't get the jist of more advanced charging. Apparently the Hyperion, Cellpro 8, and PL 8, and ichargers are the top recommendations for "top dog" chargers. Not sure that I need that though.

I do 1/10th scale buggy, mostly with Turnigy 2s 5200mah lipos. I bought an RC8Be 4wd buggy over the winter and plan to do 5000+ mah 4s lipos in that, probably Turnigy but maybe something higher end at some point. I had an Onyx 230 lipo charger which I sold to move up to something more advanced, plus the Onyx wouldn't do 4s.

I'm a basher at this point, but may try racing, but let's just assume that I don't need to charge a battery in 30 minutes between heats or charge 2 batteries at a time. But it's always nice to buy right and not need to upgrade later.

Given those requirements, someone tell me if I'm going the wrong way if I purchase an icharger 208B, actually I was going to get the combo here called "The Ticket".

I also want to make sure I get all the right cables I need for connecting the AC power supply to the charger itself, charge cables, and they sell some kind of pit box to hold the battery and charger safely, is it worth it?

Thanks, again, I didn't want to start another "help me pick a charger" thread, but this stuff is complex!
It's a good choice for what you describe, with some power left over for future needs, most seem pretty happy with them, they have solid software features, good balancing power. Do you know if your batteries have jst-xh balance taps?

Originally Posted by apriliamille
the charger will come with alligator clamps. if push comes to shove you can pick up some thicker bannana plugs at a local radio shack to put into the power supply. junsi make nice chargers.

the charger will come with js-txh charge board. if you use hyperion batts you might want to get the other board as well

800 pages to go through if you want to research them
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...39657&page=805

p.s. better to have enough now then to buy again later in case you say to yourself "i wish i had more oomph in my charger"
Pretty sure the charger comes with banana plugs on the input cable already. The alligator clips attach to that if needed.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

OK, tried editing my post to change this thread somewhat but I can't edit the original subject. I ended up purchasing the icharger combo setup I mentioned, the 206b and p350 power supply. Very slick, but to be honest, intimidating!

I have a few questions...

As I read through the owner's manual, it's apparent this thing is very configurable, but for me being a basics type of person until I learn this a bit better, is this a set it and forget it type charger? Will the factory default lipo settings work fine for my Turnigy Lipo 2s 5200mah batteries?

I'm testing the thing out right now on an older nimh pack since I don't have to worry about fires or anything (hopefully). I didn't change a thing, just let the charger figure things out. I've seen in the owner's manual that it detects the battery type, so I don't need to set the number of cells and mah like I did with the last charger I had. The hobbyking website lists the maximum charge rate for my lipos as 2C, so I guess I need to dig into the menus for lipo charging and confirm that the factory default won't exceed that.

So I guess, assuming I doublecheck the charge rate on my lipos, should I just plug it in and let the charger figure out how best to charge my batteries? Any suggestions for those that use this charger on settings I should adjust?

I do have a lipo charging bag which I always use and I store them when not in use in a metal box similar to an ammo container.

I haven't purchased any 4s lipos yet so I may have more questions, and my knowledge of balanced charging and plugging everything in correctly is probably going to require follow-up questions.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

David from progressive rc gave me a helpful 10 minute tutorial over the phone today.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

OK, tried editing my post to change this thread somewhat but I can't edit the original subject. I ended up purchasing the icharger combo setup I mentioned, the 206b and p350 power supply. Very slick, but to be honest, intimidating!

I have a few questions...

As I read through the owner's manual, it's apparent this thing is very configurable, but for me being a basics type of person until I learn this a bit better, is this a set it and forget it type charger? Will the factory default lipo settings work fine for my Turnigy Lipo 2s 5200mah batteries?

I'm testing the thing out right now on an older nimh pack since I don't have to worry about fires or anything (hopefully). I didn't change a thing, just let the charger figure things out. I've seen in the owner's manual that it detects the battery type, so I don't need to set the number of cells and mah like I did with the last charger I had. The hobbyking website lists the maximum charge rate for my lipos as 2C, so I guess I need to dig into the menus for lipo charging and confirm that the factory default won't exceed that.

So I guess, assuming I doublecheck the charge rate on my lipos, should I just plug it in and let the charger figure out how best to charge my batteries? Any suggestions for those that use this charger on settings I should adjust?

I do have a lipo charging bag which I always use and I store them when not in use in a metal box similar to an ammo container.

I haven't purchased any 4s lipos yet so I may have more questions, and my knowledge of balanced charging and plugging everything in correctly is probably going to require follow-up questions.

hey man. anything yuo need to know about bats shoot me an email
johnATleoindustriescom home of revolectrix
Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

The problem I see with the REVO is that FMA usa is not a "car friendly" company..and anything they do, charger wise, is gonna be for the heli crowd...