Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1410 vs vxl

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Default 1410 vs vxl

Ok, so I havent been getting the performance I wanted with my 1410 motor from castle. Sure it has torque, but it has no speed. About the same as stock speed with the 15t brushed motor. (maybe a few mph faster). I upgraded to the mmp esc from the sidewinder. It helped, but still not what I wanted. Just for kicks I threw my beat up vxl motor in with the same gearing and everything on a slightly lower voltage (battery was getting low) and it absolutely destroyed the 1410 and if it had more traction, would have done wheelies on command. This is all on 2s lipo 40c discharge. But the vxl is 3mm bullets where the esc and 1410 have 4mm so I have to change the vxl bullets (I have 6 more 4mm anyway). So it was a little finicky, and if I remember correctly the motor was a little messed up. But I expected way more out of the castle than the vxl. Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The one thing I am missing in all of that text is your gear ratios.

The 1410 4pole is a 3800kv motor, but has insane tourque.
What is the biggest pinion & smallest spur gear you have tried?

I don't hear too often that the 1410 is lacking.
How hot is the motor after runing?

The VXL motor is unused by many in racing because it has less useable power than the 1410.
The 1410 has to be geared properly.
If you are running a 21/86 I would seriously look into something like a 25 or 30 tooth pinion & a 76tooth spur just shooting from the hip...

Think of a big motor in a real car & leaving it in 1st gear... Shift gears!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GLwagon
The one thing I am missing in all of that text is your gear ratios.

The 1410 4pole is a 3800kv motor, but has insane tourque.
What is the biggest pinion & smallest spur gear you have tried?

I don't hear too often that the 1410 is lacking.
How hot is the motor after runing?

The VXL motor is unused by many in racing because it has less useable power than the 1410.
The 1410 has to be geared properly.
If you are running a 21/86 I would seriously look into something like a 25 or 30 tooth pinion & a 76tooth spur just shooting from the hip...

Think of a big motor in a real car & leaving it in 1st gear... Shift gears!
Thanks for replying

I currently have a 27t pinion and a 77t spur (smallest they had at the lhs). So I am not that far off from what you said. Motor temps are around 130f every time I have ever checked it. I know I have a 31t pinion somewhere.

Are there any settings on the esc that would kind of limit this? I have a castle link and everything but I dont have the esc limited by anything. The only settings I have really touched from the default config is turning punch control up and setting the lvc for my 2s lipo.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Disable punch
Set timing at zero
High Start power

Gear it for 40 mph

If it doesnt destroy the VXL motor something is wrong with your 1410

Cheers
Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
Disable punch
Set timing at zero
High Start power

Gear it for 40 mph

If it doesnt destroy the VXL motor something is wrong with your 1410

Cheers
Ah, much better. Thanks!

The high start power must have been my main issue. I will have to try and gps it tomorrow to get the approx speed.

I had this issue pretty much since I got the combo in the first place. Then I sent in the motor because a wire got messed up inside after a really hard hit. They replaced the motor with a brand new one (the one I have now). I traded in the sidewinder for the mmp to try and solve the issue. When I sent in the sidewinder I sent in the 1410 and they said it passed all of their test with flying colors. So I must have had the settings all wrong then.

Now I will finally be able to clear the tripple!