Community
Wiki Posts
Search

smartphones/cell phones and radios/recivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? smartphones/cell phones and radios/recivers

Howdy folks. Got a question for all you rc gurus out there. Do smartphones or cell phones interfere with either crystal or 2.4 radios and receivers. Or can they "damage" them in any way. I was wondering cause I noticed one day I was talking on my phone and I noticed one of my servos, cant remember if it was steering or throttle, kept twitching. Like it was getting interference. Plus I had my phone sitting next to my radios, and I didn't know if they could clear the radio, its crystal cause I'm to broke to afford 2.4 for stuff haha. And I didn't want it to blank it out like a magnet on a credit card or something. Probably a dumb question but I was just wondering.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Not a dump question to me, mobile signals and interference are a huge problem in modern world.
I know that interference can be nasty with various house audio and video equipment, so why not RC signals as well. I know wireless Internet connections usually operates at 2.4 GHz, it's nowhere to tell if those also could interfere with RC 2.4 GHz, you never sure.
Never placed a mobile phone next to my models myself, but what you want is to keep the two things separated from each other as possible.
Mobile signals cannot harm your rx or tx in any way, but think interference could make a model out of control. I'll leave the rest for the gurus.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Nothing can get harmed, but there's a lot that can interfere.

GSM is amazingly good at spitting noise and crap all over anything in the 2.4ghz range. CDMA is only moderately better about it. An active phone in near proximity (~5ft) can cause noise in your signal.

Having an active 802.11b/g/n (2.4ghz) device in the same proximity will have the same effect.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Don’t doubt interference is possible, but I and many others routinely use smartphones at the track, haven’t noticed any issues. Here’s a related picture from LiveRC of pit guys following the scoring at the recent and huge Dirt Nitro Challenge race:

I think this "LiveRC.com" thing is catching on...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Don’t doubt interference is possible, but I and many others routinely use smartphones at the track, haven’t noticed any issues. Here’s a related picture from LiveRC of pit guys following the scoring at the recent and huge Dirt Nitro Challenge race:

I think this "LiveRC.com" thing is catching on...

Our whole corner had the phones out watching the scoring also.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Not that I'm a fan of the new Traxxas 2.4 but it is made to put a I.phone into it?? So I would think it shouldnt b a problem? ? But again I'm not that smart!!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Was thinking the same thing about the new Traxxas TQi remote.

They are known for pretty much bullet proofing their technology.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation

The only phone/band that would possibly give you trouble is sprint 4G as its in the band right above "WiFi" It's more likely that the WiFi would be overcrowded it's self and running out of clean channels.