Can a radio make a car faster?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a radio make a car faster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

You guys are great and bring up a lot of good points and other options to look into. I will surely look into radio settings and the esc programing. It is also possible the radio is just plain worn out. One other thing that got me thinking about the problem is that when the radio is used in a class where older brushed esc's and motors are used it seems to work just fine. I know I just threw another log on the fire but I think there are some others out there that may be wondering the same thing. Plus since I got out of auto repair this is the first real diagnostic problem I've come across.
Thanks for the input. Like I said you guys are a great resource to the R/C comunity.

Vaughn
Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This sounds dumb, but YES! A radio can make a car faster.
About a year ago, during a practice session, a fellow racer tore up hi RX in a harsh crash. He had purchased a new Futaba a few weeks earlier, and dropped a new RX in the car, bound it to his new TX, and WOW he was fast after that. I thought it was a difference in settings or something, but a week or 2 later, another guy I race with replaced his DX3S with a new 4PK, an HIS CAR WAS FASTER TOO!
I still sort of blew it off, but after reading some of the posts here, and seeing the difference at a track.....I believe.

Just my 2cs
Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Exclamation

This is just my .02 & I'm sure everybody will have a different opinion. The only thing that makes a difference as far as a radio is concerned, is the speed in which it tranmits the signal from the transmitter to the receiver-with the least amount of interference. Having all the fine tuning, EPA (end point adjuments), etc. is great-but it's the speed in which it transmits & can process the commands.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TeamSkunkwerks
This is just my .02 & I'm sure everybody will have a different opinion. The only thing that makes a difference as far as a radio is concerned, is the speed in which it tranmits the signal from the transmitter to the receiver-with the least amount of interference. Having all the fine tuning, EPA (end point adjuments), etc. is great-but it's the speed in which it transmits & can process the commands.
So is there a way to tell how fast a radio transmits & processes?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Talking

Are you familiar with AM, FM, HAM, or Military bandwidths? Even computers are measured in bandwidths to determine their speed. For example 27Mhz, 75Mhz, 2.4Ghz, 2 meter band. Same principle.
If you think your radio is fast, wait until the FCC opens a portion of the purposed 2-meter band. It will be awesome & the range will greatly improve too.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Now if only the people using the radios had reaction times ANYwhere close to the latency of the radio... we'd be golden.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are you familiar with AM, FM, HAM, or Military bandwidths? Even computers are measured in bandwidths to determine their speed. For example 27Mhz, 75Mhz, 2.4Ghz, 2 meter band. Same principle.
If you think your radio is fast, wait until the FCC opens a portion of the purposed 2-meter band. It will be awesome & the range will greatly improve too.
ok, I get that part, but is one 2.4ghz radio faster than another 2.4ghz radio.....say like a Spektrum DX3R vs. a Futaba 4PKS
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by tinman79
ok, I get that part, but is one 2.4ghz radio faster than another 2.4ghz radio.....say like a Spektrum DX3R vs. a Futaba 4PKS
I don't believe so. They are both operating under the same bandwidth. What would make the difference is, if one was using analog servos vs. digital servos. I say that because of the speed in which the servos operate.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

I don't believe so. They are both operating under the same bandwidth. What would make the difference is, if one was using analog servos vs. digital servos. I say that because of the speed in which the servos operate.
I think that's essentially correct. Suspect the biggest differences are in the receiver to servo signal. The traditional RC servo signal is based on a 20ms frame length, probably the bottleneck. Why the big boy systems have quicker frame rate settings, which typically require the latest receivers and digital servos to work properly. I absolutely believe the differences in at least some systems are clearly noticeable and make a difference in on track performance (first generation Spektrum for example).
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Arrow

Totally agree!!

Originally Posted by Dave H
I think that's essentially correct. Suspect the biggest differences are in the receiver to servo signal. The traditional RC servo signal is based on a 20ms frame length, probably the bottleneck. Why the big boy systems have quicker frame rate settings, which typically require the latest receivers and digital servos to work properly. I absolutely believe the differences in at least some systems are clearly noticeable and make a difference in on track performance (first generation Spektrum for example).
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

i recently purchased a car with the spektrum dx3e installed and it was slow as hell.... could be all the rumors about the bad run of sr300 recievers or just poor transmission speed, not fully sure. but once i switched over to an older airtronics system, the car had more power and more response all around, then i upped the epa to max 160% and it screams. i would give it a try if u have a spair radio or someone is willing to let you use theirs for testing.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tinman79
I talked to a guy at the LHS about this last week. He basically said 2.4ghz is 2.4ghz. All the FASST systems or whatever are just about overcoming disturbances or something and how fast it can find a new signal or whatever.. But basically there's no difference in speed in terms of how fast the signal gets from the radio to your car.

I just boughta DX3S and am kind of worried hearing about issues with them.. Thinking of sending it back.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Subhuman2178
i recently purchased a car with the spektrum dx3e installed and it was slow as hell.... could be all the rumors about the bad run of sr300 recievers or just poor transmission speed, not fully sure. but once i switched over to an older airtronics system, the car had more power and more response all around, then i upped the epa to max 160% and it screams. i would give it a try if u have a spair radio or someone is willing to let you use theirs for testing.
Electric RC? Could be wrong, but it sounds like the ESC wasn't calibrated correctly to begin with. It needs to be re-calibrated for each radio system install. Same for servo EPA/travel for a nitro.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dave H
Electric RC? Could be wrong, but it sounds like the ESC wasn't calibrated correctly to begin with. It needs to be re-calibrated for each radio system install. Same for servo EPA/travel for a nitro.
this is very true, however since first installing it i have reset my throttle endpoints and it will still allways go fastest with throttle epa set at 160%. regardless even at 100 percent the car had more top speed than the apektrum dx3e with endpoints at full and correctly calibrated to the esc. not trying to counter what you said, just tryna make sense of the issue
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just started to read this post but there is one thing that has not been mentioned... Is that you said you have had this radio for 12 years if so It could also be that your stearing contact point could be worn or corroded and also with the throttle contact points.. It would be good idea to send it in for maintenace and cleaning...