Radio Opinions?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default Radio Opinions?

Which one would you guys choose?

Futaba 3PKs, Futaba 4pl, Spektrum Dx3r, or Spektrum Dx3r Pro

I would using this radio for racing and 3 to 4 RC's

The cheaper the better, Most I would like to spend is $400 and I can buy used if needed.

I was leaning more to the dx3r or dx3r pro because of how cheap the receivers are, but heard range was a problem with it

I will be upgrading from a fly sky g3tb, since I have been told it was no good and will lead to problems at the track.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Futaba 4PL gets my vote. It's nearly impossible to match Futaba's quality and the non-FAAST receivers are not that expensive (under $50 if you shop around). Just be sure to try to hold one first - some people find the trigger itself on that radio to be kinda narrow if you have large hands. You could have one of those with three receivers and still come in under $400.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

None of the Spektrums have any range issues while racing unless you break or cut off the antenna.

The DSM2 receivers are in the same price range as the Futaba FASST receivers. Their sport DSM receivers are in the same price range as Futaba's S-FHSS receivers. The nice thing about Spektrum is that the DX3R can use either DSM2 or DSM receivers whereas the Futaba's 3PKS with FASST can't use S=FHSS and the 4PL can't use FASST.

I have all three and use the Spektrum DX3R Pro for racing because of it's lightweight and is more than fast enough for me. I use the Futaba 4PL for crawlers since that is where it excels. The 3PKS is my backup but it has a Spektrum module in it and can only use DSM receivers.

As far as quality goes, they all seem about equal.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In my research, I've heard a TON more complaints about Spektrum quality issues than Futaba.

I'd go for the 4pl.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I've ran KoPropo and the Futaba 4pk and currently use the Team Radiopost TS401, it's costs less than both the above mentioned and you'll be very pleased with your purchase. For me it's more comfortable than the KoPropo, and has all the bells and whistles of the 4pk and also has a color lcd screen.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Is there a difference from the futaba 4pk and 4pks?

Do they use the same receivers?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildewinds
In my research, I've heard a TON more complaints about Spektrum quality issues than Futaba.

I'd go for the 4pl.
The Pro Spektrum seems as good as the Futaba 3PK/4PK but weighs less and has grey plastic instead of charcoal colored plastic. If that makes it feel like lower quality then so be it, I just saved $160.

Like I said I have all these and can't really tell if one has "more" quality than the other. They all work well. I actually prefer the DX3R Pro without the drop down wheel for racing it feels more connected than the Futaba.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by romian14
Is there a difference from the futaba 4pk and 4pks?

Do they use the same receivers?
No not much at all thescreen diff and the light is were the crosuer is the pks has a vibrating timer on it that i like really good it great. The pks is compatiably the most of the rx. I would look up the futaba thread here they seem to have all the info on it there. I reall like futaba so i would say futaba and if you get a 1/5 scale you will good to go wiht the 4pks.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

This is the radio you need. I have had the 4PL and the 4PKS, they are nice, but the radiOpost is by far the most comfortable radio out there. And for the price, you can't beat the performance.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...iver-Hard-Case

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...w-2--Receivers
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I was always totally pleased with my Spektrum DX3R, and even more so with my DX3R Pro. Never had a range or glitching issue with either radio and the Pro is absolutely the most comfortable radio I've put in my hand. Any of the above mentioned radios are good choices, however, as I always recommend, try to handle any of the radios that you're interested in and go with the one that feels best in your hand and is simple to navigate. Any die hard user of brand "x" will have many reasons to suggest not getting brand "y". I say they're all great and capable radios.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Well, I will stick with my fs-gt3b. But I have experience with futaba products and there really is no matching their quality and experience. I like their servos and I have worked with several of their radios. Of course only 2 ever belonged to me over 6 years ago (they were bought when the orig. blackfoot and monster beetle came out. Well before I was born) I work with a couple of their radios (once again, older stuff) at school on a regular basis. If I had the money and I was looking for a good radio, I would get a futaba. But note, I know NOTHING about whatever ones you are looking at. I am basing that purely with experience with their older products.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Have you looked at the Airtronics MT4? Seems to be the best bang for the buck. I heard that the 4PL had a weak steering wheel limiter that breaks if crank on it a little.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Talking radio

Check out the Radiopost ts 401 you can adjust the steering wheel up and down forward and back it has no external antenna the recivers are small has a swivel color lcd screen the response and feel are second to none. Go to Radiopost.com or get on amains site and check them out its super cool
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The spectrum radios feel like toys compared to the futaba. I would also add the KO eurus to your list. It's the only radio to keep a pure digital signal from user input to servo output if you use high end digital servos. But from the list you have there I would go with the 4pl. I have seen the 4pks banned at a few tracks because it's so powerful it has been known to override other radios. (just what I have read) the 4pks is a nice radio though.