Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Servo Horn Has A Little Play On Spline >

Servo Horn Has A Little Play On Spline

Servo Horn Has A Little Play On Spline

Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Servo Horn Has A Little Play On Spline

I have a Spektrum 6030 servo, and I needed a longer arm so I got a JR splined alloy arm. The spline slides right on, and then has a teeny bit of play when the retaining screw is tightened up. Like half a degree or something; it's barely noticeable, but it's there.

Is that going to chew up my spline? Or is it no big deal?

Does anyone have some tips on marrying the teeth on the splines more tightly? Scotch tape? Cake?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magicrobots
I have a Spektrum 6030 servo, and I needed a longer arm so I got a JR splined alloy arm. The spline slides right on, and then has a teeny bit of play when the retaining screw is tightened up. Like half a degree or something; it's barely noticeable, but it's there.

Is that going to chew up my spline? Or is it no big deal?

Does anyone have some tips on marrying the teeth on the splines more tightly? Scotch tape? Cake?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Is the play like moving up and down or side to side.
Will did you get the right tooth count horn like furtab a 25 airtroincs a 23 i dont know the rest cause i dont have them. that might be something to look at or at lest post that you have the right horn cause mine all fit nice and tight. Is this new horn deeper than the stock version or kinda on the money. some are thinner than other which mean you might have to change the screw that holds it now if it too long now or add a waser. these are some of the casueses i have found over some time.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's left/right play.
Oh shit, I just wiggled it with the hex driver in the retaining screw and now it feels like the play is in the servo itself. That probably means the servo is toast doesn't it, or at least that it will be soon?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magicrobots
It's left/right play.
Oh shit, I just wiggled it with the hex driver in the retaining screw and now it feels like the play is in the servo itself. That probably means the servo is toast doesn't it, or at least that it will be soon?
I've been using a servo like that for two years now expecting it to stop working altogether. It's creates a bit of steering slop for me but still very driveable.
Btw I never repair servos I just throw them out and get new ones
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hahaha good to hear! Thanks for letting me know everything might be ok.

Guess we'll just see what happens.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by modelfan
I've been using a servo like that for two years now expecting it to stop working altogether. It's creates a bit of steering slop for me but still very driveable.
Btw I never repair servos I just throw them out and get new ones
wow you just toss them. I normal end up fixing the subc gear after awhile and they seem to go back to work just fine. The sub c gear seem to be the only one i ever have a problem with there but best of look with it.