Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
nerdyrcdriver project sw >

nerdyrcdriver project sw

nerdyrcdriver project sw

Old 01-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Default nerdyrcdriver project sw

Here it is, my "project" steering wheel (sw for short)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice to tinker but I cant see that being useful at all the way it is setup

Cheers
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
Nice to tinker but I cant see that being useful at all the way it is setup

Cheers
Yeah, it is fun to drive around with, but isnt practical. I need to find a way to wire in the foot pedals. I will probably end up getting an arduino mini and wiring that in. (after writing the code and testing with my normal arduino). Just a fun little side project that only cost me $4 (including foot pedals, not used yet). I had everything else lying around. It will be fun to use with vrc as well. But I have a problem with my pc right now that causes it to crash with vrc (I may have done a little bit to much spring cleaning on my hdd and wiped out a few windows files it relies on). More of a fun thing to make and play with. It will be interesting if anyone can manage to use it at the track. (probably after I wire in the foot pedals) it is SUPER easy to bump the throttle and send the car much faster than you intend it to go. I know it looks sideways (and it is) but that is an easy fix. I just need to get around to doing it. The wheel functions properly and everything, really it is just cosmetic that the wheel is turned sideways. But I will set it straight tomorrow or the next day.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Haven't watched the video yet (can't right now) but are you using an arduino with an XBee on the car and the wheel or just wiring the wheel to the TX?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Evil Genius jr.
Haven't watched the video yet (can't right now) but are you using an arduino with an XBee on the car and the wheel or just wiring the wheel to the TX?
Right now the wheel is wired to the fs-gt2 and that will probably remain the same to keep anything like an xbee from getting damaged on the car. But I might use an arduino in the wheel itself to wire in some foot pedals I have to go along with the steering wheel. So it is more like driving a car instead of turning a wheel and a nob to go forward or backwards. Plus it would offer more control over breaking and reverse. That is the plan anyway.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

How about having a digital pot hooked up to an arduino which reads the pedals, the arduino controls the digital pot which is wired into the gt2.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

How about having a digital pot hooked up to an arduino which reads the pedals, the arduino controls the digital pot which is wired into the gt2.
Each pedal has a pot in it. The issue is wiring 2 pots together to essentially create one big pot where the left one pushed forwards sends a signal to the remote like the orig pot being pushed backwards (break) and the right one forwards triggers forwards on the gt2. I am sure there is a way to do it without a micro controller, but it would be the easiest way to do it. Plus I could adjust the sensitivity by changing a few numbers in the code. I have a few ideas in my head, now they just need to turn into a working item.

Actually, now that I think about it, are most pots analog or digital?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

How about using the arduino the read the pedals and then this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10613 connected to the TX .
Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

How about using the arduino the read the pedals and then this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10613 connected to the TX .
I could do that, is there any way to wire the 2 pots to that without the arduino?

If im going to use an arduino at all, I might as well just make it simple and use the pwm output on it to send the signal to the tx.