Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TOM MAR
Set timing is ok, it is the Dynamic timing that is not legal for blinky mode.

Some of the LRP esc's have different timing settings that can be preset.

In blinky mode that timing does not increase or decrease.

Out of blinky mode the timing will advance as the rpm's increase, between 2 user selected rpm range's at a user selected # of degrees.

You can preset timing on the mmp also in blinky mode, I think it is 0,5,& 10 degrees.
These are fixed settings that do not change during a run, it is similar to changing the timing on the motor.Performed by the electronics of the esc instead of the sensor position.
Many ESCs have adjustable static timing advance, but as I understand it none is allowed in blinky mode, the adjustment is no longer available. It is my understanding that 0 timing is just that, 0, generally with a way to verify. Isn't this what got ORCA and Tekin in trouble, having some static timing advance?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Many ESCs have adjustable static timing advance, but as I understand it none is allowed in blinky mode, the adjustment is no longer available. It is my understanding that 0 timing is just that, 0, generally with a way to verify. Isn't this what got ORCA and Tekin in trouble, having some static timing advance?
I don't know about ORCA, buy I read somewhere that while whatever Tekin put in the ( I think it was the older 212 software, I do not have a tekin) was not illegal, but that it was not in the Spirit of the agreement between ROAR & the MFG's
( I Think, or at least that is what I understood of the situation)lol

On your link it has a note that the new 212 version will blink the 3rd & 5th led. whatever it was it looks fixed.
More & better info can be found here or on their previous thread.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=277167

Back to the timing, on your esc link it gives or does not give instructions on each approved esc. Some esc's may add some advantage other than just static timing.
The mmp shows v1.26 (& should read any newer v. & the yellow led will blink in spec mode)
Good catch, they need to fix that, lol

A speed control that you might think should be on the list will not appear if Castle did not submit it for approval.

For testing purposes, as I type...

I just updated mine to v1.25 it did not blink & tried both 1.26 & 1.32 , The yellow led blinks as it should.
In the default mode (Smartsense) you can adjust static timing from 0 to 20 degrees. (the yellow led still blinks)
My guess would be that testing by ROAR showed no change in performence or they just plain missed it.

I could not find any definition of (0) degrees timing anywhere as a roar spec. Could you post where you read it?

Roar has a device to make sure all esc's conform to no advantage.
( lol, It is being repaired right now, hence Novak is waiting on approval on some of their new esc's)

(I agree with you about 0 timing. It would get rid of the gray areas.) That may be what Team Epic was thinking with their fixed timing motors.

It was explained to me that if advancing motor timing or esc timing does the same thing that would be ok. If any advantage is found by advancing timing in the esc is found it would not be allowed in spec & that Dynamic timing was out of the ? completely.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

The Tekin issue has been resolved (and it was quite quickly as I remember), but you must run V212 as noted. Not sure of the ORCA status but I assume the suspension is over:

ORCA ESC’s suspended for six months

All the other ESCs without notes are non programmable unless I missed something. The MMPro appears to be the exception, but again is legal at this time only with V1.26. Fully agree there probably should be some clarification.

Guess I would assume that Castle would not go to the trouble of adding a feature that did not impact performance. Just guessing as I don’t own any Castle, but it doesn’t seem likely to me, they appear to be a competent and honest outfit. Stuff I do have with adjustable static timing definitely has an impact, and is disabled on the ROAR legal mode as I understand it.

New approval listing for ROAR Sportsman Class Speed Controls

A clip:

Speed Controllers eligible for Sportsman Class racing must be capable of providing ZERO Timing Advance along with disabling Advanced Motor Control Functions (i.e. Boost, Cheat Mode, Turbo, SuperCharge, etc).
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All good & valid points , Thanks for the links.

I sent an inquiry to ROAR I'll let you know if or when I get an answer.
TM