Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes a fancy radio so good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PnchoPwr
I'm going to be buying a 4PL here in the next month or so. I've used a couple guys' at my track. Super comfortable to me. Everyone tells me I should go with Spektrum, I just don't like the way they feel. 250 for the 4PL and then only 40 bucks for new receivers, plus all of the features makes it a damn good deal in my book.
Well said
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Besides "Fancy" do NOT discount comfort.

When I went from my Spektrum radio to the Helios, I absolutely fell in love with the feel of the radio. Funny enough with no changes to my car, not only did my lap times drop - but my consistency got significantly better!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You know why you need a fancy radio? So you look like you belong on the drivers stand. Sad to say, but you get more respect if you have a fancy radio. That's why I just got a new KO radio.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

have a looksee here.
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-ra...tter-shootout/

my 2c
A top end radio is WORTHLESS with a cheap & nasty servo. So spread you RC budget, dont blow all you $$ just on radio gear.
A good driver could be competitive with a $30 radio. It will help but wont make a huuuge difference for 90% of us.
try before you buy, make sure it feels nice, talk to other guys who use the one you want
Someone mentioned top racers using the best radios. True, but they also will have the best of everything, best chassis, best batts, best chargers , best electronics etc etc

once you have a good radio, you wont regret buying it(with 1 exception)
You'll want a modern Freq Hopping 2.4 system thats free from interference & brownouts, not a 1st generation 2.4 system (spektrum)

My suggestion, perhaps a MX-3X, 3PL . You can allways upgrade to the very best later if needed.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Your link lost me at "basher"..
and I agree on why would a basher need a high end radio..it's not like your really racing or anything..
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scrubnick
You know why you need a fancy radio? So you look like you belong on the drivers stand. Sad to say, but you get more respect if you have a fancy radio. That's why I just got a new KO radio.
Your not even kidding, people really think your better in general because you have a nice radio.

I'm loving the 4PKS after checking out a few at the local track. Trying to score one used but in good condition for about 300$ right now... The search is on!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scrubnick
that is unfortunately true. they look at you. then your radio and they maybe ask which car is yours.