Wiki Posts
Search

Starter Box Lipo and Charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Starter Box Lipo and Charger

I just bought an OFNA Truggy starter box and am considering lipo. I know that I need a 4s battery, and am looking at some of the hobbyking models. I'm not really looking to invest a ton in a charger since this will be the only lipo I'll be using. What is the simplest and most affordable way to charge this battery properly?

Thanks for your tips.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

4S lipo needs more power than a cheap 50watt charger has to charge at 1C unless the lipo is only about 3000mah. Assuming you will wind up with a 4S in teh 5000mah range charging that at 1C requires 84watts from a charger. Using a 50watt charger would mean charges will take a long time - prob in the 1.5hr range vs the ordinary 1hr at 1C charge rates.

If charge time isn't an issue, look at the 50watt IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells (GENUINE) - HK also sells a fake or copy of this charger, but its less reliable - some are good some not so good....

If you want normal 1hr charge times, look at HKs 80watt Turnigy Smart 6 charger - it is a DC powered charger and wil need a power supply that can supply 100watts. Personally, I have had things turn out better when I buy more charger than I think I need and would look at the 200watt EC06-10 and a 220+watt power supply - but that's me, I usually wind up needing to charge more and bigger rather than actually sticking to plans.

Plan on getting a low voltage alarm to protect the box lipo from over discharging. I've seen a lot forget overdischarging and ruin bump start lipos this way. One of the $5 type lva off ebay will work.