Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question: brushless ESC + brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? question: brushless ESC + brushless motor

Hi, can you please help me... I have EzRun 5.5T 6000kv brushless motor, it was a system with 60A ESC but it burned out (I don't know the reason....) so now I'm trying to get my 1/10 scale touring car running for carpet racing. I looked for brushless ESCs in Ebay and I found TORO 8 150A 2-6cell lipo (I can use the motor with up to 3 cell) so I was thinking if the 60A ESC burned out with 7.2V ni-mh 3000mah battery and 6000kv motor, the TORO 8 should be fine with the motor and 2 cell 3000-5000mah lipo? I tried to find how many amps I can put in the motor but I didn't find any info about motor's apms -.-.... so should I give £60 for the TORO 8 150A or should I go to the model shop and give £160 for other ESC???
thanks!!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You should not need a 150 amp ESC for that motor

70 - 80 amp range should be plenty, 120 would be overkill

I would look at upgrading your battery to a lipo for better motor performance

The motor determines how many amps are drawn from your battery, the ESC simply provides a path

Cheers

Last edited by crusey_aus; 11-30-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Rookie

so 120A ESC + 6000kv motor + 2s lipo 5200mah would be ok? and can you tell me what gearing I mean I have my original spur which is 80t and pinion which is 21t and other pinion for which is 32t? which one should I use?
thanks for the fast responding and thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not familiar with your motor or car so cant really help with gearing

Start with a small pinion and monitor your temps

Cheers
Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default gearing help

Originally Posted by Sam Dzharov
so 120A ESC + 6000kv motor + 2s lipo 5200mah would be ok? and can you tell me what gearing I mean I have my original spur which is 80t and pinion which is 21t and other pinion for which is 32t? which one should I use?
thanks for the fast responding and thanks
Your gonna buy some pinions. You need to start were the car has some speed and make 2-3 minutes test runs. Start with the 21, and you can go up 2 teeth at a time till it makes heat in the motor. You'll need to get about 130F-140F or you'll be way hot coming off the track after a 5or6 min heat and main race. You burnt the other esc up by using the NIMH batteries and trying to gear like you can with lipo's. The NIMH don't have the amps to keep the esc cool when dealing with the load of tall gearing.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Originally Posted by btrukr
Your gonna buy some pinions. You need to start were the car has some speed and make 2-3 minutes test runs. Start with the 21, and you can go up 2 teeth at a time till it makes heat in the motor. You'll need to get about 130F-140F or you'll be way hot coming off the track after a 5or6 min heat and main race. You burnt the other esc up by using the NIMH batteries and trying to gear like you can with lipo's. The NIMH don't have the amps to keep the esc cool when dealing with the load of tall gearing.
+1. Trial and error is where you're at . Always start small with the pinion there is to many variables with car/truck and where your running.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
The motor determines how many amps are drawn from your battery, the ESC simply provides a path

Cheers
Can you explain how that works please and the way you can tell ahead of time which motors draws more amps. I'm new to this science of current draw and such.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 AM
Tech Lord

It is not only the motor that determs the drawed amps. It is the whole car.

The force it needs to create on the shaft to move the car is almost equal to the power it needs to drain from the battery. The power is determing the gearing and the smothness of the drivetrain.