Wiki Posts
Search

Switching to Lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Switching to Lipo?

Hello everyone,

Ive been out of RCs for about a year but am slowly getting back into it. Most all of my batteries no longer hold a charge long so ned new, but was debating to switch to lipo. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so? Also, what would i need to convert my vehicles to it? I have a bone stock slash and a mod slash with a mamba max brusless system. Also a few onroad cars coming.

Thanks for your input,
Tyler
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

http://knol.google.com/k/a-beginner-...ymer-lipo-etc#

make sure your electronics can handle 3,7V per cell

Last edited by minilantern; 11-27-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Lipo is the only way to go.
Only bad is dont leave charging without supervision in case it starts fire.
I have been using them for 2 yrs charging 4 days a week no problems.
My son & I race have 15 batts. practice a lot.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help. I defently want to go with LiPo, but what would be a good charger and batteries to buy? Like I said before, I have a bone stock slash, and a Slash with a Mamba Max sidewinder brusless system in it. Also a few onroad cars on the way as well. Andi f possable, without breaking the bank lol.

Also, I notice on the lipo pack, they have another plug in spot, do I need to connect that to the truck in any way or is that for charging purposes only?

Thanks again
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

That plug is only used to plug into your charger when u do the balance charge mode.
Since u r just starting this is the best bang for buck:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

U can plug in your house or auto, will do any battery & charge at decent rate.
Free shipping over $50.
GenAce batterys are also good price quality.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

To answer the ease question first. The Extra plug is for balancing the 2 or 3 cells. This is very important for longevity of a lipo. The thunder ac6 charger is a good economical charger and works great. I have some gens-ace lipos and the work great good price also. I also have some turnigy lipos work great good price. Go to your local hobby shop and see what they are selling to start off. I also have a venom lipo works good. At the local shop it was about 35 bucks. I also tried the mrc 992 palm charger. It was a limitless bit more money but it works good to and the local hobby shops usually carry those.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

JW Mustang,
I was actually looking between that one and the Thunder T610.
Ill try and get by the Hobby shop this week and see what they have. I really appriciate the help

Also, how long or how many charges is a Lipo battery good for? Do they need to be discharged like regular batteries?

Is there anything wrong with buying used Lipo batteries to save a bit of money or should that be avoided since you dont know there history?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I think I read somewhere like 300 cycles. I could be wrong but I've had some for 2 years and sometimes I'm running them 2 or 3 times a day. I make sure I always balance charge them. And store them at 3.85 volts per cell if they are going to sit awhile. I have picked up used ones before and have had good and bad luck. Some people don't take care of things.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tyler64
JW Mustang,
I was actually looking between that one and the Thunder T610.
Ill try and get by the Hobby shop this week and see what they have. I really appriciate the help

Also, how long or how many charges is a Lipo battery good for? Do they need to be discharged like regular batteries?

Is there anything wrong with buying used Lipo batteries to save a bit of money or should that be avoided since you dont know there history?
Unless u know that they were taken care of I would not do it. Esp. since u could get them fairly cheap @ Hobbypartz or HobbyKing.
Never ever discharge Lipos. They dont like it like Nicads do. If u dont use them for a while the better charges have a Storage mode. It will discharge or charge the batt to about 75%.
Make sure your ESC is set to Lipo mode. It will stop your car before it discharges your Lipo too much.
Some people get 1yr others 3yrs.
I have ruined a couple because my car had mechanical issues, I never stopped the car the batts got hot (Lipos should never get hot) & now the batts have a bad cell.These r 4S batts, still wrk with 3S but not as good.
Also dont leave them in very cold or hot weather over night. Then they should last a long time.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Ive heard of a sensor you can add to your current esc that will cut off the battery when it gets to low or send out a warning beep/buzz. Anyone know where I can get one and how to install them?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tyler64
Ive heard of a sensor you can add to your current esc that will cut off the battery when it gets to low or send out a warning beep/buzz. Anyone know where I can get one and how to install them?
Most new ESC have auto cutoff but if you want to be sure most online RC shops do sell some lipo warning system that you plug to your battery.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by adam1172
Most new ESC have auto cutoff but if you want to be sure most online RC shops do sell some lipo warning system that you plug to your battery.
Where can I find them? can you show me a link maybe?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDUQ8wIwAA

They are also many on eBay.....
Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

The mamba max esc should have a lipo cutoff feature built in. You just have to enable it with castle link, the programming card, or using the series of flashing lights beeps and moving the trigger.

The traxxas xl-5 esc might have one built in depending on how old it is.

Look at the big pic at the top of the page. This one says low voltage detection on the front of it. If you have one that says that, then you are fine.
http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/xl5waterprooflvd

This one does not say low voltage detection on the front of it. If you have one like this then you need some sort of buzzer or something.

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ot.../xl5waterproof
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Please notice that there are different balancing connectors on the market. They are not interchangeable. I think that there are adapters available.

Lipo's pack some serious power. You won't recognize your truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.