Community
Wiki Posts
Search

acceptable heat levels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default acceptable heat levels?

hi guys i just put a new brushless system in my rc car. im using a sensored Xerun 120A esc/motor combo 8.5T with a 4600mah nimh battery. Im not sure what heat to expect ? although i am getting my motor hot enough to burn me and the battery is up there too but not quite. u can still hold onto it

the esc runs cool as it has a fan on it.

what am i to do? or should i expect that?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Firstly, if u're not using a temp gun, you won't know how hot is Too Hot.

Anything over 80 degree celsius is not advisable.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok, i have one of them at work, ill see what it is. im sure it would be around that mark but.

hey if i was to change to lipo batteries what do i need to do? obviously buy lipo batts and charger but what sort of batts and charger? and how easy is it to program my esc to run lipos? if i can at all..?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That ESC should have a lipo cut-off so all you'll need to do is look at your manual to turn it on and you'll be lipo-ready.

As for exact lipo specs and a charger, the question of whether you are racing or not needs to be answered. If you're not racing, you're probably going to be happy with the Chinese un-brand stuff (i.e. HobbyKing/Partz/etc) but if you are racing, higher quality stuff will generally be in order.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Lord

NiMh gets hot when discharged and sometimes hotter that when charging. The limit is not getting hot enough so that cell(s) vent. However, even if they don't vent, getting them upwards of 150F will impact their cycle life.

Either your cells are not very good or your motor is asking too much of them - the pack won't last as long as if they were running cooler. A good lipo with high enough C rating shouldn't get more than warm. If you switch to lipo and the motor is still getting hot, its time to look at gearing.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ahhh i see. I dont know that im reaching 150f thats about 65C which is the unit we use in australia. my understanding of temperatures is that i would not be able to hold on to a batt at 65C however i will put a heat gun on it next time i run it just to make sure.

i want to change to lipo but im having trouble with all this confusiuon on dischargers, chargers "c" ratings etc.. would anybody be able to help me (by pointing me in the right direction) with a average quality lipo system.. including batteries chargers all i need.

My ESC will handle Lipo i just have to re program it when i get all sorted..

until then i will continue to use theses last three nimh batteries until they die.

thankyou for all your help.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Lord

It can be a bit overwhelming with all the terminology....

check this and when you're done with the one on understanding, go back to the main page and look at the menu on the left - find the one about chargers. This is from a plane/heli perspective, but it covers a lot of the same.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Think I replied in your other thread too...