Wiki Posts
Search

LiPo and Charger opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default LiPo and Charger opinions

My dad ha sa factory team TC4 or 5 I dont recall which one. He has a havok ESC and Novak 21.5 brushless set up and I want to get him a Lipo and charger for Christmas. Any suggestions as to which one? Or anythign he would need with it also liek a conditioner or what not

thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Thunder Power chargers has a good reputation for value for money.

I'd suggest getting a charger with integrated balancer, so there's less to take care of... It's faster doing it during a charge

I dont have much experience with LiPo chargers. Had a Power G.T., which showed up to be unreliable, so I returned it and ordered an LRP Touch instead. Havent arrived yet... I have no clue about I just was unlucky and got a bad sample of the Power G.T. - someone mentioned quality of those had decreased, I dont know... But I wanted to be sure, burn one pack, and one might just as well have bought a better charger in the first place. Just my personal opinion, the second Power G.T. might have worked perfectly... Just my 2 cents
Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The LiPo chargers available on HobbyKing or Hobbypartz are very solid. If you don't have the budget for a Hyperion, these chargers are pretty solid.

I picked up two of these chargers and this power supply a few months ago, and they have been great for charging my LiPos. They come with everything you need to get going.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+1 with LaTu.
Partz also has builtin PWR S. Chargers & GenAce Batts r good.
If he uses 2c Lipos a 50w charger is enough. If he uses 4c lipos a 200w charger is better.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Hyperion chargers all the way!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good deal guys. I appreciate it. What size lipo battery should I look at getting? And what brand?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jwmustang
+1 with LaTu.
Partz also has builtin PWR S. Chargers & GenAce Batts r good.
If he uses 2c Lipos a 50w charger is enough. If he uses 4c lipos a 200w charger is better.
He doesnt have a LipO currently. I would like to get one also, I have a XXX-4G with a Mamba, but i don't use it too much. (Mostly play with Nitro when I have time) I have never had a Lipo nor has he. So, I'm not overly familiar with them. So what kind of set up do you reccomend? 2c 4c? whats the difference really? just longer power?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I use these and they have proved them selves reliable.
This charger is AC and DC powered. So you can use it at home and on the go. And for $44 you can't lose. Charges every type of battery. Cycles, discharges, etc.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
And these are on sale!
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...-hardcase.html
Sky lipo's are good to. I own a few.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/skylipo2s30c.html
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LaTuFu
The LiPo chargers available on HobbyKing or Hobbypartz are very solid. If you don't have the budget for a Hyperion, these chargers are pretty solid.

I picked up two of these chargersand this power supply a few months ago, and they have been great for charging my LiPos. They come with everything you need to get going.
I picked up that same charger and have had good experiences with it. It tops at 5a charge rate, but that isn't too bad unless you are looking at some really large packs or looking to charge multiple packs.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cesspool
He doesnt have a LipO currently. I would like to get one also, I have a XXX-4G with a Mamba, but i don't use it too much. (Mostly play with Nitro when I have time) I have never had a Lipo nor has he. So, I'm not overly familiar with them. So what kind of set up do you reccomend? 2c 4c? whats the difference really? just longer power?

Thanks
I would go with the Gens Ace lipos personally. They are pretty solid, haven't had any issues. I would say go with a 4000-5000mah battery with a 30c rating. You will be able to provide plenty of punch and it will give you pretty good run times as well. You can get some lipos from Hobbypartz that fit the bill for about $20-$40 each. Not too shabby, just need to solder the appropriate connector on and you are set.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=RCaddict0;9883505]I use these and they have proved them selves reliable.
This charger is AC and DC powered. So you can use it at home and on the go. And for $44 you can't lose. Charges every type of battery. Cycles, discharges, etc.

so with this I dont need a a power supply?

His ESC is a novak Havok and can handle 2c.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Rookie

check epbuddy. they have nice chargers for good prices.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cesspool

Thanks
Really its 2s 4s. 4s is twice the power of 2s, fast longer run times. Most Lipo chargers also charge Nicads. Best to use Balance mode with Lipos. Car will run 3 or 4 times longer than Nicads for just a little more money plus they r lighter so car handles better.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=cesspool;9954822]
Originally Posted by RCaddict0
I use these and they have proved them selves reliable.

so with this I dont need a a power supply?

His ESC is a novak Havok and can handle 2c.
Correct, it has a supply or u can connect to your car. Great charger for the money cant go wrong.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Ok, so I agree 100% with what rcaddict0 said. I have the same charger in fact it is charging something right now. I would choose gens ace over sky lipo but that is based on what other people have said and actual discharge graphs, not on personal experience.

You seem a little confused on the s and c thing. I will try to straighten it out for you.

The large number like 4000, 5000 with mah after it is how long the pack will last him. The higher the number, the longer the run time. I would probably go 4-5 thousand personally.

The s, 1s is 1 single lipo cell at 3.7v. 2s is two lipo cells at 7.4v, 3s is 3 cells at 11.1v and 4s is 4 cells at 14.8v. For an onroad car, I think most people run 2s. That is probably what he should run.

I know it seems backwards s is cell but it is what it is.

the c rating such as 20c, 25c, 30c, and 40c is the rate of how much current the pack can deliver. (I dont know how to say that good.) If he is running on nicad or nimh and it is not stuttering or anything then 25 or 30c would probably be just fine. If it is stuttering a bit or he wants to be able to gear up and get higher speeds out of it, then 40c is the way to go. I dont know how high power his brushless system is or anything. 30c will probably do just fine for most onroad stuff that isnt trying to brake a world speed record.

I hope that helped a little bit. I know my wording is weird sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.