Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a high power Lipo damage a RC

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Can a high power Lipo damage a RC

Hi all. First post here so sorry for a noob question. I have recently got back into the rc scene after a large time spell. I have now got a Traxxas slash VXL BL and a Traxxas E maxx BL.
I am in the process of upgrading the batteries to 2cell Lipos, Turigy Nano 6000 mah 65-130 c. The problem I am having is that I have taken the batteries for fittings (XT60) and have been told that the batteries 'could' damage (melt) the wiring and bullet connectors (6mm 160 amp) . The Slash can run 200amp continuous ,350 peak and with this apparently could melt the wiring/connectors ? However the e maxx mamber runs around 100-150 amp. I was under the assumption that the higher the mah = longer run times and less battery strain with higher c.
How true is this and would it be best to sell the lipos and get 5000 40C as been advised ? I thought I got a good deal when I bought these 6000's , however I am now thinking major overkill, if not gonna kill my Slash.
any advise out there. thanks and piece .
Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You're getting bad information. Those packs will be just fine.
batteries only supply the amount of power/energy that the motor and esc pull from it. Again you will be just fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I'll second that.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Tech Rookie

But if the controller pulled 200 amps cont, wouldnt this melt or damage the wires or connectors ? I didnt realise that this could actually use such power.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not familiar with the gear you mention, so cant advise for that.

Generally speaking, it's the motor that determine the amp draw, not the ESC ESC and wiring must be able to handle the power, that the motor draws. If bought as a kit, there shouldnt be problems here.

Though, I've seen Tamiya connectors getting warm/hot during racing. If you encounter this, I'll recommend swapping connectors, soldering is required here.

If the batteries are weak, they'll be the limiting factor for what your motor can draw. If batteries are able to deliver more amps than your motor pulls, well, nothing happens, as the motor are the limiting factor.

Are you familiar with soldering, or got a friend who are? If so, I'd just swap them in and see what happens... If connectors are weak, choosing poor batteries are an odd solution...
Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Like said above. The motor pulls, or tries to, the amount of power/amps that it wants/needs. The esc simply regulates that power from the battery to the motor. There really is no such thing as too big a battery as far as C rating and mah. Voltage is a different story mind you. The 200 amp esc rating is a measure of the load the esc can handle, again from the motor. Your battery worries are not an issue.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by parallel
But if the controller pulled 200 amps cont, wouldnt this melt or damage the wires or connectors ? I didnt realise that this could actually use such power.

When you look at actual recorded data from an onboard data recorder like an Eagle Tree data recorder, you do not see those kinds of amp loads in 8th or 10th scales. You might see a 140-150amp spike that lasts a few tenths of a sec and those are no prob for a normal setup to handle.

5th scale electric like a converted Baja that weight 30-35lb may be diff, they will see higher amp draw, but how much higher I don't know. There is some recorder data on RCM, and they are seeing 220amp spikes, nothing near that on a continuous basis.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for posts, helped alot. I will keep the lipo's then. I didnt realise it was down to the motor and not esc, Hope I get some good run time out of them. A good site this, will be having a gander through the other posts to see if I can find some good points on the damper upgrades. piece.