Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Castle 1410 3800 kv stuttering >

Castle 1410 3800 kv stuttering

Castle 1410 3800 kv stuttering

Old 10-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default Castle 1410 3800 kv stuttering

I am getting some stuttering at full throttle with my Castle 1410 3800 kv motor . Just installed it , brand new , in a bastard SC truck . Lot's different brand electronics from RTR kits . I am using a Traxxas VXL 3 ESC . Maybe the ESC is the problem ? I am getting NO glitching at low RPM's , just when I pull the trigger all the way I get some power cut off . It stutters off /on / off / on . I tried it with 2 different size LiPo , 2S and 3S . The stuttering was worse with the 3S LiPo . Maybe the Speedo can not handle the power/ voltage pull of the motor ?? Maybe the speedo is broken ? I have another one I could try , but will have to solder up some connections .

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kenton
I am getting some stuttering at full throttle with my Castle 1410 3800 kv motor . Just installed it , brand new , in a bastard SC truck . Lot's different brand electronics from RTR kits . I am using a Traxxas VXL 3 ESC . Maybe the ESC is the problem ? I am getting NO glitching at low RPM's , just when I pull the trigger all the way I get some power cut off . It stutters off /on / off / on . I tried it with 2 different size LiPo , 2S and 3S . The stuttering was worse with the 3S LiPo . Maybe the Speedo can not handle the power/ voltage pull of the motor ?? Maybe the speedo is broken ? I have another one I could try , but will have to solder up some connections .

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!
That sounds like the cogging that is standard with a sensorless motor at full-throttle acceleration. That is, it will happen at full throttle but less than full speed?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
That sounds like the cogging that is standard with a sensorless motor at full-throttle acceleration. That is, it will happen at full throttle but less than full speed?
I've never had or heard of a high speed cog. They cog from a start because they don't have a sensor to tell the esc where the rotor is at.
Could be interference, too low a C rating on the batteries, or the Traxxas ESC. I've been told braiding your motor wires helps with interference, never done it myself.
If you're using am, save some money and buy 2.4.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can't run the vxl esc w/ the castle motor. 3800 is a 4 pole motor. The vxl can only run 2 pole motors. Your basically hitting the rev limiter. Because the motor has twice as many poles.

I've tried it and it don't work....
Old 10-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try adding an external bec

High amp draw may be loading the internal bec, causing its voltage to drop

Traxxas ESC's have been thought to have issues running 4 pole motors

Cheers

Last edited by crusey_aus; 10-30-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Vegatron75
Can't run the vxl esc w/ the castle motor. 3800 is a 4 pole motor. The vxl can only run 2 pole motors. Your basically hitting the rev limiter. Because the motor has twice as many poles.

Huh , ok , makes sense , it does kinda work though . I can tell though it is not reaching it's full potential . Hopefully it is not hurting the motor .

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
Try adding an external bec

High amp draw may be loading the internal bec, causing its voltage to drop

Traxxas ESC's have been thought to have issues running 4 pole motors

Cheers
Oh yeah , thanks , great idea ! I actually have on laying on the bench . I will pop it in !

Cheers!!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Kenton;9848229]Huh , ok , makes sense , it does kinda work though . I can tell though it is not reaching it's full potential . Hopefully it is not hurting the motor .

Well, heck if it works than run it, or wait it kinda works, or it kinda doesn't work? Which one is it?

It's not reaching it's full potential? So that mean it kinda works, or it kinda doesn't?

Huh? Ok? Kinda makes sense?

I'd put the bec on it, then a capacitor, then it'll kinda work great, but not really....
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try the cap first, if it doesnt work try the ext bec

You wont need to run both

Cheers
Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vegatron75

As stated it will not work right.
Using a cap or BEC also will not help.
You might try a bigger pinion, that could lower the RPM.
First thing you should try is turning your TX throttle EPA down to 70%.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Vegatron75;9848695]
Originally Posted by Kenton
Huh , ok , makes sense , it does kinda work though . I can tell though it is not reaching it's full potential . Hopefully it is not hurting the motor .

Well, heck if it works than run it, or wait it kinda works, or it kinda doesn't work? Which one is it?

It's not reaching it's full potential? So that mean it kinda works, or it kinda doesn't?

Huh? Ok? Kinda makes sense?

I'd put the bec on it, then a capacitor, then it'll kinda work great, but not really....

You are kinda a douchpickle aren't you . Thanks for kinda helping .

Anyways , thanks again to those with the helpful replies . Really appreciate it .

I put a Spectrum Glitch Buster in last night , had one laying on my bench , and it works pretty good . Still stutters a bit at full throttle , but much better than before . I am able to bash around the neighborhood and I did not spend any extra money . Just built the basher with parts I already had on the work bench .

Eventually I am going to put my MMP ESC in it and be done with it . The 1410 should come to life with the MMP and a 3S LiPo . Going to terrorize the neighbor hood .

I have a MMP in my B44.1 currently but have been planning on upgrading to a LRP ESC . The LRP ESC's are so much smoother than the Castle stuff . It is nice to have a super smooth ESC in a buggy !! I have a LRP in my B4.1 and it is awesome !! Went through several Novak ESC's and a few MMP's , then I got the LRP and was so happy . For racing buggy's a smooth ESC is mandatory in my mind !! Sorry for the rambling , to much coffee this morning .
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

I'm a douchepickle w/ a search button.

You ain't the first and you couldn't be the last.

Somehow that glitchbuster, turned your 4pole motor into a 2 pole. nioooce job, MR. pickle....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ole-motor.html

Last edited by Vegatron75; 10-31-2011 at 02:11 PM.