R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Tekin RS vs. HobbyWing XERUN 120A

Hi Guys,

In the market for a ESC for my upcoming s411 build. Im fairly new to electric RC and looking to get the most bang for the buck with newB driving skills.

Outside of the feature sets of both esc, would i really benefit from going with a known(popular) racing brand like tekin or would I do fine breaking into the racing scene with a hobbywing esc? the cost difference between the two brands seems significant enough to leave me wondering what exactly am i paying for if i decide to go with a tekin brand esc.

The idea of having a ESC that supports 3.5t motor and still be relatively low in price has me leaning towards the hobbywing esc.

what are your thoughts? is tekin worth the extra $$$?

Thanks for your time guys
VexVegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The tekin is definitely worth the extra money. Electronics WILL fail and it's good to know the company is there to take care of you when it does.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You gotta think about price. Do you think the HW will fail within 4 months of purchase. If so the Tekin is the best bet. If you think it will last more than 4 months then IMO the Tekin warranty/support is a moot point considering the repair cost of the Tekin is probably not much less than a new HW esc.

People seem generally satisfied with both the Tekin RS/RS pro and the HW 1/10th ESC's. Remember HW manufacturers Orion ESC's and I am seeing more and more of the Orions around the pits.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRBling View Post
The tekin is definitely worth the extra money. Electronics WILL fail and it's good to know the company is there to take care of you when it does.
That would be the main reason why I would choose tekin over any other brand. it seems, from what Ive read, that tekins reputations as far as backing up their products are top notch and one of the best in the business. But if a company can remain relatively competitive and still maintain a lower price point than most popular brands, i would likely choose the cheaper brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
You gotta think about price. Do you think the HW will fail within 4 months of purchase. If so the Tekin is the best bet. If you think it will last more than 4 months then IMO the Tekin warranty/support is a moot point considering the repair cost of the Tekin is probably not much less than a new HW esc.

People seem generally satisfied with both the Tekin RS/RS pro and the HW 1/10th ESC's. Remember HW manufacturers Orion ESC's and I am seeing more and more of the Orions around the pits.
At this point, price is generally a huge concern but not to the point where im saving a few bucks, only to spend more down the line because of hardware failure that may not be backed by warranty. if thats the case, I would spend the extra to get the tekin brand and figure out other ways to stay within my $1500 eTC budget.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexVegaz View Post
At this point, price is generally a huge concern but not to the point where im saving a few bucks, only to spend more down the line because of hardware failure that may not be backed by warranty. if thats the case, I would spend the extra to get the tekin brand and figure out other ways to stay within my $1500 eTC budget.
Hardware failure? Don't be fooled by the price of the HW ESCs. They are rock solid and can take tons of abuse. I trust them way more than CC or Tekin. The price is just gravy.
Tekno V4 D8T, Xerun 150A/Tekin 1350 Kv, Hitec 7955
fishboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I agree, the price and performance potential of the XERUN 120a is why I decided to look into a hobbywing esc.

in the long run, i may end up getting a hb esc. the more i read into it, the more favorable opinions i run into about the performance of the esc.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

i have both and i do love my tekin but my HW has stand up to everything i have done to it and so you can go wrong for the money
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by td-civ View Post
i have both and i do love my tekin but my HW has stand up to everything i have done to it and so you can go wrong for the money
what is it about your tekin that you love so much? performance? reliability?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexVegaz View Post
what is it about your tekin that you love so much? performance? reliability?
i have 4 rx8 2 rs and 2 rs pro all of them have never let me down
the thing i love the most is there size and they have never gotten hot on me ever no matter what motor im running

the HW dose get alil hot but you can still hold it with your hand but i dont need to hook it up to a pc to tune it so that is nice with the new lcd programer it dose everything the pc will do just not updates

i wish tekin had a lcd hand held programer
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default Update..

I ended up going with a Tekin RS pro + hotwire. i guess the peace of mind and its racing history pushed me towards tekin, but im sure the sweet deal i got from my LHS helped too
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorry only just got to this thread.

I have had both. And hammered both big time. The Tekin should last you many years, it's a solid solid unit.

The HW, is a great unit and I see most of the unsponsored really fast drivers with HW now.

For me the Tekin was too harsh, and the HW is soooo much smoother. A really nice feel to it, and the programming box is great with the HW.

Ironically price doesn't count between these 2. Both excellent.
1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Default Hobbywing +++

i like my Hobbywings...in all my rc cars/trucks. i have nothing negative to say about Tekin...information is key and how easy you can access. I am presently searching rctech for Hobbywing tuning threads...firmware updates etc.

i've run most of the esc's on the market...hard to fault any of them. Hobbywing is heavy duty...ran mine all summer in hot temps...2wd,4wd and SCT.
Dork Missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links