Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Novak Rotors - Are they interchangeable? >

Novak Rotors - Are they interchangeable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Rotors - Are they interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Novak Rotors - Are they interchangeable?

I have a 10.5 SS brushless Novak motor and a 13.5 SS brushless Novak motor. Something very odd happened to the 10.5 motor and I can't understand how it happened. It was running great when I put it away. When I pulled it out and installed it today, it clicked when I slightly applied throttle. Then when I tried to give it more throttle, it started acting like it was catching internally or coming apart. At one point, I noticed that the blue wire tab had been bent over and was very close to the center tab, but I'm not sure if it was touching or not. I straightened the tab. I tried it again and it did the same thing.

I took it apart and ONE of the internal copper wires was on the opposite side of the "wall" than the other wires. In other words, it was right next to the rotor, not on the other side. Yet before taking it apart, when I turned the rotor, it spun smoothly and freely, so there was no obvious reason until I took it apart. So that motor is now toast, but I thought I may be able to revive my 13.5 with the brearings from the 10.5 (the 13.5 has at least one very rough and sloppy bearing) and possibly use the rotor from that 10.5 in that same 13.5 or another tired 17.5. I am thinking that the 13.5 may be slower due to the bad bearings though.

My question is this: are all the rotors the same (other than the size 12mm, 13mm). But does one rotor fit all the motors as long as they are the same type of motor, say like all SS motors? The 17.5 and 13.5 don't take different rotors than the 10.5 do they?

I tried to see if I could find a difference on Tower Hobbies and notice that the rotors are Ballistic - which is the rotor I once used as a replacement per Novak in my old 17.5. So does anyone know if my 10.5 rotor would work okay in the 13.5 or the 17.5? It is the stock size, probably 12mm.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I may have found my answer on my own. It appears that the rotors fit all ballistic motors and SS motors and are all the same, at least according to the AMainHobbies website. But feel free to give me any tips or opinions. I am always open to learning more. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Simple answer is yes, I've done it. Put a rotor from a 21.5 SS into a 10.5 SS works fine..
Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, Racer. I am learning a lot with these motors. My husband was able to knock out the bearing on the pinion side of the rotor, so I could clean it. Nice and smooth now. Nice not having to buy the entire piece for $30+. A couple of my bearings were very rough and I thought the bearings had gone bad, but once we removed and cleaned them, it is like new now - smooth. It feels good to have all my motors working now. I had a friend who overheated my 17.5 Novak badly (200 degrees +) just after recently installing a new rotor. It was a tuning rotor so it was faster than normal. Now it gets warm and slows down, so I have a used spare rotor I can put in it - not tuned, but should be fine. Unfortunately, my 10.5 is not salvageable - something very weird happened to one of the windings, so it's not fixable. I hated that because my 10.5 was my favorite motor.

It's kind of fun working with these things, especially when it works out where you don't have to spend a lot of money to get them working well again! I realize it won't always be that way, but this time, it was cheap and effective.

Thanks for your response!