Wiki Posts
Search

Ammo Cans for Lipo Storage?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default Ammo Cans for Lipo Storage?!

I'm about to start searching for storage ideas for lipos... Can anyone tell me the going rate for ammo cans? I'm thinking this is one of the best ideas, but don't want to get screwed in paying for one.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

that's what i got. i think i payed $13 for it. i just found an army surplus website and ordered it from them.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

i use stainless steel tea/coffee/sugar caddies (cans), they're available cheaply here in the UK - dunno if they are elsewhere -, and are great for smaller packs. Not big enough for the longer packs though, try looking for stainless cookie tins
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

I use a small metal toolbox. Dirt Cheap at $12 new.
Fits all the lipo's + lipo bags & batt tape.

Good safety precaution as well.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I use a small stainless steel soup pot that we used to use for camping, it has been on top of many fires and never had a problem so it is good for the batteries.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Not trying to hijack!! But how do people transport their lipos?? I just got my first this summer and reading up on them has me cautious about lipo storage/transport. Most of these stories are 4-5 years old. I know that they have gotten better over the past couple years. For now I'm just using one lipo safe bag inside a second. Any time I don't plan on using them for a week or more I am putting the bags into a metal pail.

What do you think, ok??
Thanks
Mark
Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If I have to transport, I'll usually be taking several lipos and I use a pistol case - looks like a briefcase but has bot sides filled with that egg crate type foam so the lipos stay put and can't move around. At the house I leave the laying on a porcelain plate in my hobby area if they're in frequent use - they're at storage voltage or slightly lower. If stored longer term, they are individually wrapped in a ziploc bag and in the veg crisper in the frig.

Most lipo probs happen running as in a bad crash or lipo wasn't properly secured and comes loose and gets into gears and shorted or when charging. I think you're fine, just make sure you're storing them at storage voltage. Lipo doesn't like to sit at full charge for extended time.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (99%+)

Duster in the veggie drawer?? please enlighten me I'm curious.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by penguineman
Duster in the veggie drawer?? please enlighten me I'm curious.
+1
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The "veggie" drawer is going to have a lower humidity level, helping prevent condensation. If you store them this way I would let them return to ambient temp "naturally". I wouldn't take them from fridge to high outside temps and then charge and run them..IMO

If you live in a million dollar house storing them in your humidor next to your Cuban cigars would be the best..lol
Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
The "veggie" drawer is going to have a lower humidity level, helping prevent condensation. If you store them this way I would let them return to ambient temp "naturally". I wouldn't take them from fridge to high outside temps and then charge and run them..IMO

If you live in a million dollar house storing them in your humidor next to your Cuban cigars would be the best..lol
Note to self... "let lipos warm gradually... do not microwave..."

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! I was able to find a good size ammo can over the weekend at a monthly flea market. Only 5 bucks!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Ok here's my deal on storing/transporting lipos, short term. They ride to and from the track in the top of my pit box, sitting on some rags for a little cushion. When I get home (2 hour drive) if they haven't puffed, never had one do so, honestly they aren't going to. If you want you can do what you want with them for a few hours as far as storage but if after a few hours they show no signs of puffing they aren't going too. So there is no really need IMO to lock them away thinking that the next day they might "blow up". This is IMO on storage, while charging is a different story....but reads about the same.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying that if you put some honest effort into how your lipos are used they're not as dangerous as some people would lead you to believe.