Stumpy Lipo's

Old 09-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Stumpy Lipo's

Hi,

Just looking for a little advice and hopefully some insider information

At the moment there are two 2S 'stumpy' LiPo's (that i know of) on the market, the Losi XCelron 3800mah, 60c and the Trinity RevTech Double Deuce 4000mah, 65c.

They were made primarily to give the racer a little space for fitment of electornics in the Losi 22, but i was hoping to use them in other applications - the only issue is the relatively low mah of each cell and as such the potential drop in voltage at the end of a run.

Does anyone know of any cell makers that will be introduving a new, higher mah 'stumpy' in the near future, or if, due to the size of a 'stumpy', they have reached the ceiling mah wise with 4000mah?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

These were designed to fit into the limited space of the TLR 22. To do so the size of the cells need to be smaller hence the lower capacity. Now this isn't a bad thing since the racing heats and qualifiers are well under the battery's limit, 5 or 6 minutes being the average heat. Even using a mod motor I doubt you would ever drain more than 2A in a heat so any worry of dropped voltage wouldn't be of any concern.

Add to that the advantage of being able to move the battery fore and aft to tune the chassis is worth the lower weight and lower capacity. Why waste space, weight and cost for capacity that actually hinders you?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Company Representative

We have our own version as well. And cost effective. Our drivers have had great success and no complaints at all on runtime. Your mah usage in off-road is generally 50-70% of the packs full capacity so the higher mah for short packs is not necessary just yet.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks AreCee,

I am hoping to use these in TC and just worried that the demands of on road against off road would mean that the voltage might casue an issue. I'm not racing mod so it should be ok.

Do you think that 4000mah is the maximum mah that is currently available for the size of a stumpy?

Once again thanks for your help and input
Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Gavin, you must have just got a reply in while i was typing

I'll check it out, but if you have a link handy that would save some time - don't worry, found the cells

With your experiance with these cells do you see an issue with using a stumpy in on road? (stock racing)

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chrissy C; 09-05-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Found product referenced
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

No problem, I used to use 3200 to 3800 packs for on-road stock and never ran out of power unless I forgot to charge a pack.