R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   I bought a older 3pk with 2.4 Spec. SM1000 need info/help. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/536576-i-bought-older-3pk-2-4-spec-sm1000-need-info-help.html)

savannahmick 07-27-2011 06:50 PM

I bought a older 3pk with 2.4 Spec. SM1000 need info/help.

I am wondering if I am only able to use PPM mode and not have a way to set failsafe for throttle? It's a T3pk transmitter with a Spectrum SM1000 2.4 module and SR3000 Pro reciever. I am still trying to figure out settings/setup that are best for Losi 8b 2.0 and local club racing. Any info/help using other modes or setting failsafe for throttle. Thanks!

AreCee 07-27-2011 07:40 PM

You can download the Spektrum manual which should answer how you can set failsafes.

The short of it is that you set the failsafe during binding. Hold the brake and steering in the failsafe mode as you turn on the transmitter and press the bind button all at the same time.

Yes you can only use PPM.

mooby64 07-29-2011 09:13 PM

Do yourself a favor and throw away the Spectrum module and get the Futaba Fasst module instead. Less problems and much better radio range.

AreCee 07-30-2011 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by mooby64 (Post 9457864)
Do yourself a favor and throw away the Spectrum module and get the Futaba Fasst module instead. Less problems and much better radio range.

Only if you want your RX to shut down for no reason because it overheats. Go to the FASST threads to check that out.

Seriously, I've been using the Spektrum modules for over seven years in both a 3PK and 3PKS without a problem or lack of range. Both the regular and pro. I'm still using the 3PKS for crawling (no range problem there ;)) and a DX3R Pro for racing.

AreCee 07-30-2011 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by mooby64 (Post 9457864)

Only if you want your RX to shut down for no reason because it overheats. Go to the FASST threads to check that out.

Seriously, I've been using the Spektrum modules for over six years in both a 3PK and 3PKS without a problem or lack of range. Both the regular and pro. I'm still using the 3PKS for crawling (no range problem there ;)) and a DX3R Pro for racing.

mooby64 07-30-2011 05:56 PM

I work for one of the largest independent hobby shops in the country, and I have never heard of Fasst receivers over heating.

But...I know for a fact that Spectrum systems have range issues, as a lot of local bashers and speed freaks will have their vehicles run out of range while running at a K-Mart parking lot. Futaba and even Traxxas systems do not have a range issue.

My opinion....Stick with Futaba!!!

savannahmick 07-30-2011 06:24 PM

I bought this 3pk as a package with buggy and I have had a couple issues.

Yeah I will be purchasing new radio 4pk when I am able to but for now I have to use what I got. Anyway I have had a couple weird issues with almost run aways luckily it just stopped and another I was holding the buggy and I was able to pinch line. I looked at the manual for reciever and tx and what I got was no failsafe in PPM mode. But I haven't tried the process in above post and I wish I could figure it out I am afraid I will cause more problems messing with bind. I just can't afford a engine or other major parts! Thanks for anymore info you can give me!

AreCee 07-30-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by savannahmick (Post 9460692)
Yeah I will be purchasing new radio 4pk when I am able to but for now I have to use what I got. Anyway I have had a couple weird issues with almost run aways luckily it just stopped and another I was holding the buggy and I was able to pinch line. I looked at the manual for reciever and tx and what I got was no failsafe in PPM mode. But I haven't tried the process in above post and I wish I could figure it out I am afraid I will cause more problems messing with bind. I just can't afford a engine or other major parts! Thanks for anymore info you can give me!

You will not be able to use the radio's failsafe, it doesn't work with the module. You need to set the failsafe when you bind the TX and RX by holding down the brake and steering in the failsafe position then turn on the radio while holding in the bind button all at the same time.

You need a throttle return spring or rubber band in addition to the radio failsafe which fail to work when you lose battery power or brake linkage.

AreCee 07-30-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mooby64 (Post 9460600)
I work for one of the largest independent hobby shops in the country, and I have never heard of Fasst receivers over heating.

But...I know for a fact that Spectrum systems have range issues, as a lot of local bashers and speed freaks will have their vehicles run out of range while running at a K-Mart parking lot. Futaba and even Traxxas systems do not have a range issue.

My opinion....Stick with Futaba!!!

Go to the Futaba thread and you'll see all the issues. Not that there were many but it does happen. People were drilling holes in the RX cases, mounting them on the side and other things. Perhaps Futaba sorted those out with the 4PK/PKS but those were the problems with the FASST module/RX when they first came out.

As far as range is concerned, the Spektrum has more than enough for racing and since I rarely if ever bash it will continue to work fine for me.

Sorry but after using Futaba for nearly twenty years and Sanwa I am very happy with the DX3R pro and the extra $150 in my pocket. (That's three SR300 receivers).

savannahmick 08-07-2011 05:57 AM

One last failsafe question!

Which bind button do I hold down while setting failsafe? Can you please give me a newbie guide to get my failsafe set? Will rebinding cause my settings/end points for this model be reset?Thanks Again!

AreCee 08-07-2011 06:52 AM

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...uctions_v6.pdf

Try looking through this. It should answer all your questions better than anyone can explain.

savannahmick 08-07-2011 08:29 AM

Hey thanks I got it set-up correctly I feel better now!

I followed the simple instructions and was able to set failsafes. I just didn't want to erase settings for the epa/trim etc. so I made a copy of model before just in case. I know now that rebinding don't erase settings. Anybody using the 4pl tx how is it thats what I am considering buying in future? Thanks Again for link!

AreCee 08-07-2011 08:46 AM

The 4PL will not be usable with Spektrum receivers since it doesn't use removable modules, it's fixed, so you will need to replace all the Spektrum receivers you have. The good news is that the 4PL uses only the Futaba FHSS receivers which run about $50 each. And no, the FHSS is not compatible with Futaba's FASST system.

The 4PL will make setting up dual motor crawlers easier and offers four wheel steering.