Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
balancing your RX pack via the servo style connector (caveats?) >

balancing your RX pack via the servo style connector (caveats?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

balancing your RX pack via the servo style connector (caveats?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default balancing your RX pack via the servo style connector (caveats?)

So the other day when re soldering the power leads of my LiFe reciever pack i had a chance to finally look close at the balance taps. noticed only one balance connection is actually unique while the others just tap onto the + and - power ends.

So my questions is, since I have this third pin on the power/charge lead of the batteries servo connector going unused, would piping the 3rd (unique) balance tap though the servo style connector and tap the other balance cords to the power leads outside of the battery itself, resulting in an elimination of the balance connector/cord of the battery.

would tapping the power ends right off the charging cord at the charger (bca6) itself be a kosher idea? or are voltage drops via the cable screw things up? Or independent balance leads going right up the the charging connector at the battery end be adequate then?

the ability to do a balance charge via one connector and be able to leave the receiver box closed up would be a nice convenience to be at least. right now I charge without balancing cause I am too lazy to pull out the RX pack. although I have not encountered any adverse effects from doing things this way, I am sure a steady balancing routine can only benefit, hence these great effort to preserve my laziness.

anyone wire things up like this? experiences?

Last edited by johnny t; 06-07-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny t
So the other day when re soldering the power leads of my LiFe reciever pack i had a chance to finally look close at the balance taps. noticed only one balance connection is actually unique while the others just tap onto the + and - power ends.

So my questions is, since I have this third pin on the power/charge lead of the batteries servo connector going unused, would piping the 3rd (unique) balance tap though the servo style connector and tap the other balance cords to the power leads outside of the battery itself, resulting in an elimination of the balance connector/cord of the battery.

would tapping the power ends right off the charging cord at the charger (bca6) itself be a kosher idea? or are voltage drops via the cable screw things up? Or independent balance leads going right up the the charging connector at the battery end be adequate then?

the ability to do a balance charge via one connector and be able to leave the receiver box closed up would be a nice convenience to be at least. right now I charge without balancing cause I am too lazy to pull out the RX pack. although I have not encountered any adverse effects from doing things this way, I am sure a steady balancing routine can only benefit, hence these great effort to preserve my laziness.

anyone wire things up like this? experiences?
What I do is cut a slit in my battery rx box and have the balance plug barely stick out of the box. I already have a charger lead coming out of the rx box so I can charge without pulling the rx pack and I just use my blinky to balance every once in a while. My method of laziness. lol
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by specgie
What I do is cut a slit in my battery rx box and have the balance plug barely stick out of the box. I already have a charger lead coming out of the rx box so I can charge without pulling the rx pack and I just use my blinky to balance every once in a while. My method of laziness. lol
ha! good fall back plan. conflicts with my OCD for neat wiring tho....so many mental issues...LOL.